78 VW Rabbit Diesel TIming Belt/Injector Timing Question

Old July 29th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JH

Default 78 VW Rabbit Diesel TIming Belt/Injector Timing Question

I installed a rebuilt cylinder head, cylinder head gasket, timing belt,
and tensioner on my 78 VW Diesel Rabbit.

The car now idles, but does not have power, and stalls when
accelerating.

I double-checked the torque on the cylinder head bolts and belt timing
- cam lines up using the special VW tool that slides into the slot in
the cam, TDC lines up at the flywheel, and injector pump lines up using
the special VW bolt.

I am begining to think that now that I have a new belt and tensioner
lining everything up, the injection timing is now off? Any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Old July 30th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

I assume you used the correct thickness head gasket. And the head was
rebuilt correctly. The gasket thickness is identified by the number of
notches in it. But I suspect you have to time the pump As you think too.
With the gauge and adapter that goes in the center of the pump between the
fuel lines. I think this will fix it. Does your car smoke black when
stepping on it . and how many miles /km are on it. By the way good job. It
runs. The timing isn't that far off.
ps.com...

Old July 30th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_1_]

does it run better when you pull that cable out?

Old July 30th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JH

I installed a head gasket with four notches just like the original.
The car smokes quite a bit when I step on it, but there is no power. I
am confident the cam, crankshaft and injector pump are lined up...so it
must be the injector pump needing some fine tuning. Can I do it
myself, or do I need a Bosch certified tech? Anyone know how much I
should expect to pay to have the injector timing dialed in?

Also, It does not seem to make a difference in performance whether the
choke is in or out.

Thank you!

Jeff

Old July 30th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Corrado Daddy[_1_]

Jeff:

The cable isn't a choke, although it serves a similar function. When
you pull it out, you are actually advancing the injection timing around
5 degrees to give the fuel more time to burn in a cold engine. You can
buy the injection timing tools for about $100. I got mine at Parts
Place in Auburn Hills, MI. The Bentley manual tells you how to do it.
It is not that difficult. Did you replace the heat shields under each
injector? If you don't, you will burn out the head in 5000 miles.

I don't know what the dealer charges to time the injection pump but I
would guess two hours worth of a mechanics time which is $70/hr by me
plus misc. shop supplies, maybe $150-$170 or so. That includes time to
test drive the car too.

I put 300,000 miles on my 81 Rabbit Diesel LS. It was a great little
car. Enjoy!
TEMiller

Old July 31st 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
mrbisset

Hello All,
I just replaced the head gasket on my '81 deisel and have the same
problem with injection timing. I have the flywheel and cam aligned at
TDC of piston #1. But how do I know when the injection pump is fueling
piston #1? I can put a dial indicator in the hole and it rises and
falls 4 times every 360 degrees, no? So how to align it for TDC #1 ??

The Bentley manual says how to adjust and check the rise amount on the
pump cam, but not really how to time it correctly before timing belt
installation.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Caleb

Old July 31st 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jo Bo

There's a round pin that you insert through the hole in the sprocket and
into a hole on the pump. That's #1.

JoBo

oups.com...

Old July 31st 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
mrbisset

JoBo,
I saw the pin, but there are 2 holes spaced 180 deg's apart in the
sprocket! Which hole is for #1?

caleb

Old August 1st 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JH

There is a notch in the injection pump sprocket that lines up with a
line on the top of the injection pump. When these two marks line up,
plug in the bolt that holds the injection sprocket in place. I'm
finding that is a "rough" timing mark after replacing the timing belt
and tensioner. You then use the dial indicator to measure and adjust
the injector timing.

I do have a question. The Bentley manual says to adjust the dial to
..83 mm. Since the injector pump is worn, could I increase this
measurement to compensate for wear, and advance the timing a bit?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old August 1st 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Corrado Daddy[_1_]

> I do have a question. The Bentley manual says to adjust the dial to
> .83 mm. Since the injector pump is worn, could I increase this
> measurement to compensate for wear, and advance the timing a bit?

No! A worn pump will only generate less pressure, the timing is
affected by the adjustment you make with the dial indicator. Setting
this value compensates for any wear in the mechanism. A worn shaft
bushing on the pump will cause it to suck air past this bushing instead
of fuel from the tank causing a great loss of power. Make sure all
your fuel line connections from the filter to the pump are snug and not
allowing air to get in. That too will cause a loss of power.
TEMiller