GTL corvette - sounds glorious!

Old August 20th 05, 09:52 PM
Tim Epstein

Default GTL corvette - sounds glorious!

I was expecting great sounds from GTL after experiencing GTR, but the sound
of the Corvette just takes the cake! I have a reasonable PC sound setup,
(Cambridge Soundworks 5.1), but with the corvette, the whole room just
shakes as if I have a kilowatt subwoofer under my desk! The V8 sound is just
glorious!

The only thing better I could imagine experiencing sound wise is a Ferrari
308 with 6 pack weber carbs on full song...

Old August 20th 05, 10:00 PM
Mitch_A

Oh yea!

Lots of little details that just make me smile everytime I run this sim
demo. On the grid during the start did you notice the exhaust of the cars
in front of you? How about the damaged headlights (and corresponding loss
of view distance)? The day/night transition is by far the best ever in a
racing sim. Simply awesome. Blows EVERYTHING to date completely away by a
very large margin. (And dont even think of mentioning GPL in the same
sentence with this masterpiece)

Mitch

. uk...

Old August 20th 05, 10:50 PM
Remco Moedt

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:00:25 GMT, "Mitch_A" >
wrote:

>Oh yea!
>
>Lots of little details that just make me smile everytime I run this sim
>demo. On the grid during the start did you notice the exhaust of the cars
>in front of you? How about the damaged headlights (and corresponding loss
>of view distance)? The day/night transition is by far the best ever in a
>racing sim. Simply awesome. Blows EVERYTHING to date completely away by a
>very large margin. (And dont even think of mentioning GPL in the same
>sentence with this masterpiece)

Hah!

GPL doesn't give me controller lag....and so far I never liked the MP
code of ANY ISI based sim...

It's a great MOD...but that's all, in my opinion.

Cheers!

Remco

Old August 20th 05, 11:01 PM
Bruce Kennewell

But it's no Grand Prix Legends.

Bruce.

. ..

Old August 20th 05, 11:17 PM
Mitch_A

Controller lag?

Hmmm. F1C had a bit of controller lag but GTR and GTL sure dont (at least
not on my rig)

Maybe you need to tweak your wheel or you have other issues. Poor frame
rates cause a similar feeling to controller lag. For me anything less than
50fps is un-acceptable in either GTR or GTL (any sim for that matter)

GTR and GTL do take much more RIG to run than GPL does, obviously

My first immpression was similar to yours but after running it non-stop for
many hours I can say its not nearly as similar to GTR as I first thought it
to be.

Multi in any ISI sim to date (not counting rfactor mp test) requires a very
good connection and drivers need to be much more local to each other than
the Papy sims. If you can meet this standard the MP is great on Racemore.
If not you get a sub-par experience. Arent you European? Have you raced on
a server with only local Euro's on all using broadband connections?

The one thing I do dislike about GTL is driving old cars on moderrn tracks.
It just dont work for the immersion factor.

Mitch

"Remco Moedt" > wrote in >

Old August 20th 05, 11:19 PM
Mitch_A

Thank god! LOL.

Old August 21st 05, 01:50 AM
Jan Verschueren

"Mitch_A" wrote...
> Controller lag?
>
> Hmmm. F1C had a bit of controller lag but GTR and GTL sure dont (at least
> not on my rig)

Never experienced that either.

> Maybe you need to tweak your wheel or you have other issues.
> Poor frame rates cause a similar feeling to controller lag. For me
> anything less than 50fps is un-acceptable in either GTR or GTL
> (any sim for that matter)

I think one can get away with sort of 40-ish, but less than 36 is really
pushing it, true.

> GTR and GTL do take much more RIG to run than GPL does, obviously

They're not as far ahead of the curve as GPL was when it was realised,
fortunately, and even now, with some of the add-ons things get a bit tight
for the under 2Ghz owners.

> <snip> Multi in any ISI sim to date (not counting rfactor mp test)
> requires
> a very good connection and drivers need to be much more local to
> each other than the Papy sims.

Exactly... and even so.

> If you can meet this standard the MP is great on Racemore. If not you get
> a sub-par experience. Arent you European?

He is.

> Have you raced on a server with only local Euro's on all using
> broadband connections?

Can't speak for Remco, but I have on several occasions and it was simply
never up to Papyrus standard. Both the Flemish and the Belgian league use a
server located in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, to which we all have pings of
under 40ms (everyone's on broadband). With NR2003 and GPL that means "LAN
quality" racing. I mean: I overtook someone to the outside of Sudkehre,
interlocking wheels twice with the '67 cars, the other day and nothing
untowards happened. Also note LFS is even better under similar
circumstances.

GTR is ok "one-on-one" (and even so the other car doesn't appear "attached"
to the road), but get a gaggle of cars together and it falls apart. Which,
it appears, isn't even due to online latency or bandwith restrictions. Last
weekend the Belgian simracing drivers association had it's annual LAN, where
we tried GTR "full on", as it were. The same problems cropped up, regardless
of the prevailing "perfect" connection conditions. E.g. a train of 5 cars
went up Eau Rouge nose to tail, only to have the 2nd car in line appear to
stop dead to the other players for about 3/10ths of a second and, yes, at
the time, we didn't see the funny side of it either. :-(

Don't get me wrong, I have been a big fan of the "ISI games" since F1 2k1
(actually, since SBK2000). I think the driving experience is 2nd to none
(again with the GTL demo). But the multiplayer, IMO, hasn't significally
improved accross the various incarnations (rFactor included... eliminating
join pauses does not a beter online game make).

> The one thing I do dislike about GTL is driving old cars on moderrn
> tracks. It just dont work for the immersion factor.

Heh... it sure works for the people driving in the historic races and the
spectators(<-- me included). These crews, largely made up out of
enthusiasts, travel the lenght and breath of Europe on weekends to race and
have to get back to their daytime jobs as soon as they finish their race.
Even just spectating the Spa 6 hour weekend knocks me for six, living a mere
160km away... think about what it does to the poor Swedish chap with his
Mustang 350GT, having to cover over 2500km to get there and back.

The cars in the demo drive exactly as I expected them to from watching the
historic meetings I've attended. Can't wait to get my hands on the full
version. Good job we don't have to use emulators to get GPL and NR2003
multiplayer going yet, though...

Jan.
=---

Old August 21st 05, 01:53 AM
Jan Verschueren

"Jan Verschueren" wrote ...
> <snip>
> They're not as far ahead of the curve as GPL was when it
> was realised

.... released. <--- does anyone but me hate this autocorrect stuff that comes
with MS Office with a vengance as well?

Jan.
=---

Old August 21st 05, 01:56 AM
Steve Blankenship

"Mitch_A" > wrote in message
news
> Controller lag?
>
> Hmmm. F1C had a bit of controller lag but GTR and GTL sure dont (at least
> not on my rig)
>
> Maybe you need to tweak your wheel or you have other issues. Poor frame
> rates cause a similar feeling to controller lag. For me anything less

than
> 50fps is un-acceptable in either GTR or GTL (any sim for that matter)
>
> GTR and GTL do take much more RIG to run than GPL does, obviously
>
> My first immpression was similar to yours but after running it non-stop

for
> many hours I can say its not nearly as similar to GTR as I first thought

it
> to be.
>
> Multi in any ISI sim to date (not counting rfactor mp test) requires a

very
> good connection and drivers need to be much more local to each other than
> the Papy sims. If you can meet this standard the MP is great on Racemore.
> If not you get a sub-par experience. Arent you European? Have you raced

on
> a server with only local Euro's on all using broadband connections?
>
> The one thing I do dislike about GTL is driving old cars on moderrn

tracks.
> It just dont work for the immersion factor.
>
> Mitch

No controller lag here either, though I do get considerably less than 50FPS
on my old XP2400/Ti 4400. Still runs 12X9X32 w/2XAA better than GTR for me
though, and praise gMotor2, it doesn't freaking stutter all the time. Never
could completely sort that out with the GTR demo and it kept me from buying
it. Nice to know the guys at ISI finally sorted that out.

GTL doesn't have the low-speed grip issues of older ISI stuff, (GTR in
particular) either. In fact, after driving it back to back today with GPL,
NR2003, GTR, RBR and LFSS2, I'd say this may be the best tire model "feel"
I've yet encountered in a sim. Seems a bit grippier than I'd expect of
vintage tires, but on the limit the Elan feels more like my old MR2 than
anything PC-based I've tried. Yeah, there are still a few kludgy bits in
there from the past, like the feeble replays and crappy crash physics, but
this one's a keeper imho. I hope the multi is improved, for sure. Who
knows; the scene might even be a bit more civilized due to the historic
nature of the game. l think that was a part of why VROC was such a nice
place to race back in the day. I even find myself racing the AI cleaner
just because I know that's how they do it for real, the chrome bumper
mentality being thankfully absent in historic racing. You stick your nose
under someone, but back off thinking "damn, that Jag's too nice to just
shove him out of the way." (plus he's probably a lawyer and might send you
the bill!) So let's hope some of that rubs off on the multi scene. But
hell, the dynamics are good enough that I'd probably buy it even without
multi. The AI's quite good and fun to race with (once you tweak them so
they're not dog-slow). And hey; they won't cuss you out or vote to ban you
either!

Upgrade-worthy. I've been waiting for a good reason, and this is the first
non-Papy sim that gave me one. 7800, here I come. Looking forward to
flogging that Pantera of my neighbor's that I wanted to steal when I was a

SB

Old August 21st 05, 02:43 AM

You suckers really have short memories.