Trickle Charging a C7 battery

Old January 6th 14, 05:06 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

Default Trickle Charging a C7 battery

On 1/3/2014 5:41 PM, Rufus wrote:

> I still have a compartment on the left side, and that's where I store
> my tire inflator, fault code reader, etc. Don't have a trunk mounted
> accessory outlet though...just the one in the center console. I think
> my battery terminal connections have quick releases that you can undo
> by hand...I haven't looked under there in a while. You may want to
> ask if that trunk connector might also support jump starting somehow.
>
> I think I've heard of people buying later fobs with key storage as an
> "upgrade" for older C6's without that, but I'm not sure you can do
> that for all of them - my key is integrated into the end cap of the fob.

The C7 key is also integrated into the end cap, which makes a very nice
solution. I bought my C6 convertible just as I bought my C7 convertible,
as soon as they were released, so I am guessing my C6 fob being the
original design may have prevented me from seeing and knowing that a
later revision was optional offered or substituted.

The trunk mounted cigarette lighter-style socket is described as a
charging port and accessory port in the C7 owners manual. I highly doubt
that it is designed to handle anywhere near the amperage for a quick
start but certainly can easily handle the 1.5 amp current provided by my
CTEK charger.
Old January 6th 14, 05:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

On 1/4/2014 10:51 AM, Steve wrote:
> On or about Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:30:28 -0500, Smarty
> > wrote or did cause to be written:

>> I did not realize that the Z06 fob was different. Neither my C5 or C6
>> fobs can store the key, although I have seen / owned other fobs
>> (Porsche, Acura, Lexus) which use this internal design which now shows
>> up on the C7.
>>

> All 2005-2007 C6's had an external key. All 2008-2013 C6's had an
> internal key. The 2007 user's manual showed the new FOB design with
> the internal key but GM had issues with it so they stayed with the
> external key through the entire '07 model year.
>
> I prefer the external key detached and kept safely at home. You almost
> never need it and the last thing you want when you do manage to lock
> the FOB inside the car is for the key to be there also.

Steve, you make an excellent point which I had never considered. I am
now thinking of separating the internal key from the fob and leaving it
in a safe place outside the vehicle. I am just the very type of
forgetful geezer to lock my fob in the car, despite beeping and tooting
and flashing lights.
Old January 6th 14, 05:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

On 1/4/2014 3:15 PM, Rufus wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>> On or about Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:30:28 -0500, Smarty
>> > wrote or did cause to be written:

>>> I did not realize that the Z06 fob was different. Neither my C5 or C6
>>> fobs can store the key, although I have seen / owned other fobs
>>> (Porsche, Acura, Lexus) which use this internal design which now shows
>>> up on the C7.
>>>

>> All 2005-2007 C6's had an external key. All 2008-2013 C6's had an
>> internal key. The 2007 user's manual showed the new FOB design with
>> the internal key but GM had issues with it so they stayed with the
>> external key through the entire '07 model year.
>>
>> I prefer the external key detached and kept safely at home. You almost
>> never need it and the last thing you want when you do manage to lock
>> the FOB inside the car is for the key to be there also.
>>

> ...I REALLY needed it when my fob battery died on me during a trip to
> Las Vegas. I would never even think of leaving my key at home after
> that, and my fob is always in a pocket when I drive the car; I treat
> it like any other key. One of the gals in my office that has an '06
> C6 didn't even realize she had a key...now she carries it.
>
> There's also a way to program a warning if you close both doors and a
> fob (or multiples) are still in the car; the horn will sound and the
> driver's door will remain unlocked until you come back and remove at
> least one of them. That's how I set up my Z06, so it's not even
> possible to lock a fob inside it. As long as the fob battery is
> alive, I guess...

Sounds like I am best carrying the key around in a pants pocket
separated from the fob!

Old January 6th 14, 05:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Steve[_65_]

On or about Mon, 06 Jan 2014 11:09:22 -0500, Smarty
> wrote or did cause to be written:

>On 1/4/2014 10:51 AM, Steve wrote:
>> On or about Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:30:28 -0500, Smarty
>> > wrote or did cause to be written:

>>> I did not realize that the Z06 fob was different. Neither my C5 or C6
>>> fobs can store the key, although I have seen / owned other fobs
>>> (Porsche, Acura, Lexus) which use this internal design which now shows
>>> up on the C7.
>>>

>> All 2005-2007 C6's had an external key. All 2008-2013 C6's had an
>> internal key. The 2007 user's manual showed the new FOB design with
>> the internal key but GM had issues with it so they stayed with the
>> external key through the entire '07 model year.
>>
>> I prefer the external key detached and kept safely at home. You almost
>> never need it and the last thing you want when you do manage to lock
>> the FOB inside the car is for the key to be there also.

>Steve, you make an excellent point which I had never considered. I am
>now thinking of separating the internal key from the fob and leaving it
>in a safe place outside the vehicle. I am just the very type of
>forgetful geezer to lock my fob in the car, despite beeping and tooting
>and flashing lights.

The best solution I have found is to have a spare made that does not
include the plastic cap. A lot of people cut it off or use the blank
that doesn't have the plastic part. Carry that in your wallet where it
isn't in the way all the time. OR find a hiding place but don't tell
us where it is. But even if someone finds the hiding place and
gets in, the alarm goes off and they still can't drive away. And, with
the alarm going off they could just as easily have broken the window.
Old January 6th 14, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Steve[_65_]

On or about Sat, 04 Jan 2014 12:15:01 -0800, Rufus >
wrote or did cause to be written:

>Steve wrote:
>> On or about Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:30:28 -0500, Smarty
>> > wrote or did cause to be written:

>>> I did not realize that the Z06 fob was different. Neither my C5 or C6
>>> fobs can store the key, although I have seen / owned other fobs
>>> (Porsche, Acura, Lexus) which use this internal design which now shows
>>> up on the C7.
>>>

>> All 2005-2007 C6's had an external key. All 2008-2013 C6's had an
>> internal key. The 2007 user's manual showed the new FOB design with
>> the internal key but GM had issues with it so they stayed with the
>> external key through the entire '07 model year.
>>
>> I prefer the external key detached and kept safely at home. You almost
>> never need it and the last thing you want when you do manage to lock
>> the FOB inside the car is for the key to be there also.
>>

>...I REALLY needed it when my fob battery died on me during a trip to
>Las Vegas. I would never even think of leaving my key at home after
>that, and my fob is always in a pocket when I drive the car; I treat it
>like any other key. One of the gals in my office that has an '06 C6
>didn't even realize she had a key...now she carries it.
>
>There's also a way to program a warning if you close both doors and a
>fob (or multiples) are still in the car; the horn will sound and the
>driver's door will remain unlocked until you come back and remove at
>least one of them. That's how I set up my Z06, so it's not even
>possible to lock a fob inside it. As long as the fob battery is alive,
>I guess...

By FAR the most reported "I locked my FOB in the car" occurs when
someone changes clothes and tosses the FOB in the back. Think golf or
gym. Yes, there is an alarm. The problem is that none of the three
receivers will identify that the FOB is in the trunk. They unlock the
hatch with the button at the license, toss the bag in, and close the
hatch. When they pushed the button on the car the FOB in the bag was
seen by they outside antenna at the back. When the FOB went inside
neither of the antennas in the B pillars could see it and the hatch
antenna lost it also. Popping the hatch does not unlock the doors so
when the hatch closes the car is completely locked again except the
key is now inside with the FOB instead of outside where the FOB should
be.

BTW, two FOBs inside with one removed works the same as one removed.
The car locks. meaning there's another way to lock a FOB inside the
car with no alarm although no real harm done in that case.

A dead battery is easily fixed to get you back in. Worse is a damaged
FOB where you really must have a physical key. So, you don't leave
your key at home, but you don't want it locked inside the car either.
Keep it in your pants. Where have I heard that before?
Old January 7th 14, 12:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

On 1/6/2014 11:47 AM, Steve wrote:
> On or about Mon, 06 Jan 2014 11:09:22 -0500,
> > wrote or did cause to be written:
>
> The best solution I have found is to have a spare made that does not
> include the plastic cap. A lot of people cut it off or use the blank
> that doesn't have the plastic part. Carry that in your wallet where it
> isn't in the way all the time. OR find a hiding place but don't tell
> us where it is. But even if someone finds the hiding place and gets
> in, the alarm goes off and they still can't drive away. And, with the
> alarm going off they could just as easily have broken the window.

I'm now wondering if a locksmith could make a duplicate of the fob key
or if it has some type of fancy design or technology which makes the
duplication very difficult / expensive?
Old January 7th 14, 02:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Steve[_65_]

On or about Mon, 06 Jan 2014 18:45:28 -0500, Smarty
> wrote or did cause to be written:

>I'm now wondering if a locksmith could make a duplicate of the fob key
>or if it has some type of fancy design or technology which makes the
>duplication very difficult / expensive?

The 05-07 is a Hilman B-106 blank. I don't know what the number is for
08-13 and your C7 but, depending on the key combination, some newer
keys can be duplicated with the older blank. The new key is slightly
narrower than the old one.

Any good locksmith should be able to make a duplicate. With the C6 the
keys went back to just a hunk of metal. No more electronics.
Old January 11th 14, 08:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

you need one of these:

http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette...go_p_9382.html

Old January 11th 14, 08:34 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

....I can only wonder if that one is really any different from this one -

<http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette-C6-GM-Battery-TenderCharger_p_5518.html>

Which was actually going to be my first suggestion.

--
- Rufus

Old January 11th 14, 11:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Unquestionably Confused

On 1/11/2014 1:34 PM, Rufus wrote:
> ...I can only wonder if that one is really any different from this one -
>
> <http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette-C6-GM-Battery-TenderCharger_p_5518.html>
>

> Which was actually going to be my first suggestion.

Wow! What a deal! With that sale price, I wonder how much better it
would be than a Schauer or Black & Decker for about $80 to $90 less?

Suppose it would be just the thing if you were going to show your car
and wanted to put the battery maintainer on the roof so everyone knows
you're "keeping it real."

Would you buy windshield washer fluid in a jug with a C-7 logo on it for
$12.00?

Charging a battery Dennis[_2_] Technology 14 August 27th 07 08:33 PM
Trickle Charging? Frank M. Corvette 22 October 30th 06 09:54 PM
To trickle or Not Trickle! please help a battery noobie with a 12v Gel battery question rutman Technology 29 May 5th 05 10:38 PM
Battery Charging tech27 BMW 65 December 1st 04 03:08 AM
Is an Onboard Trickle Charger useful for a Car Battery.. Denny B General 0 February 7th 04 06:28 AM