C5 Replacement Tires

Old December 2nd 10, 02:37 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

Default C5 Replacement Tires

Goodyear Eagles need to be replaced and Discount Tire suggested
the Michelin Pilot A/S run flats for my C5. Anybody tried them?

The Goodyear Eagles are really noisy.
Old December 2nd 10, 08:42 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Ron Stewart

I replaced the Eagles on my 2005 C6 two months ago with Michelin PS2 ZP
tires and I couldn't be happier. They are much, much quieter than the
original tires. They are described as ultra high performance and have no
tread warranty. They cost $2000! The quote I got for the Pilot Sport A/S
with 45k mile warranty was $1500. This is at Costco and includes all the
costs including our almost 10% sales tax here in California. I didn't really
need the ZP tires as my driving is pretty tame now. My Goodyears on front
were worn out after 15K miles. Must be all the turning involved with daily
city driving with potholes and the like. Looking back, I should have gone
with the A/S tires.
Ron Stewart
Santa Rosa California

Old December 3rd 10, 01:27 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

On Dec 2, 2:42*pm, "Ron Stewart" > wrote:
> I replaced the Eagles on my 2005 C6 two months ago with Michelin PS2 ZP
> tires and I couldn't be happier. They are much, much quieter than the
> original tires. They are described as ultra high performance and have no
> tread warranty. They cost $2000! The quote I got for the Pilot Sport A/S
> with 45k mile warranty was $1500. This is at Costco and includes all the
> costs including our almost 10% sales tax here in California. I didn't really
> need the ZP tires as my driving is pretty tame now. My Goodyears on front
> were worn out after 15K miles. Must be all the turning involved with daily
> city driving with potholes and the like. Looking back, I should have gone
> with the A/S tires.
> Ron Stewart
> Santa Rosa California
>
> "aRKay" > wrote in message

> > Goodyear Eagles need to be replaced and Discount Tire suggested
> > the Michelin Pilot A/S run flats for my C5. *Anybody tried them?

> > The Goodyear Eagles are really noisy.

I bought the Michelin ZPs about 2 years ago and have 10,000 miles on
them. I got them at Alban Tire in Northern VA for $1400 and change,
installed, balanced, and filled with nitrogen. Couldn't be happier -
quiet and are wearing evenly or not wearing at all - can't tell. I do
mostly road trips and country driving.

My Good Years lasted 40K miles and got through inspection, but they
wouldn't last the year. I couldn't stand the noise.

I would get the ZPs, but shop around - I got them installed for less
than what Tire Rack charges for the tire.

Bob Drake
Charlottesville, VA
Old December 5th 10, 03:47 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

In article
Blue C5 > wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2:42*pm, "Ron Stewart" > wrote:
> > I replaced the Eagles on my 2005 C6 two months ago with Michelin PS2 ZP
> > tires and I couldn't be happier. They are much, much quieter than the
> > original tires. They are described as ultra high performance and have no
> > tread warranty. They cost $2000! The quote I got for the Pilot Sport A/S
> > with 45k mile warranty was $1500. This is at Costco and includes all the
> > costs including our almost 10% sales tax here in California. I didn't
> > really
> > need the ZP tires as my driving is pretty tame now. My Goodyears on front
> > were worn out after 15K miles. Must be all the turning involved with daily
> > city driving with potholes and the like. Looking back, I should have gone
> > with the A/S tires.
> > Ron Stewart
> > Santa Rosa California
> >
> > "aRKay" > wrote in message
> >

> > ple.com...
> >
> > > Goodyear Eagles need to be replaced and Discount Tire suggested
> > > the Michelin Pilot A/S run flats for my C5. *Anybody tried them?

> > > The Goodyear Eagles are really noisy.

> I bought the Michelin ZPs about 2 years ago and have 10,000 miles on
> them. I got them at Alban Tire in Northern VA for $1400 and change,
> installed, balanced, and filled with nitrogen. Couldn't be happier -
> quiet and are wearing evenly or not wearing at all - can't tell. I do
> mostly road trips and country driving.
>
> My Good Years lasted 40K miles and got through inspection, but they
> wouldn't last the year. I couldn't stand the noise.
>
> I would get the ZPs, but shop around - I got them installed for less
> than what Tire Rack charges for the tire.
>
> Bob Drake
> Charlottesville, VA

Thanks to both of you for the comments. I am a little confused. Are the
ZP's more expensive than the Pilot A/S? Costco here wants $500 for
the two A/S's for the front and Discount Tires wants $560 with their
extended warranty
Old December 5th 10, 03:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

Here is some research from the Tire Rack - It is a good reference
point for price. I have also included customer feedback results:

Kumho XRP $880 (Run Flats) N/A rating
Michelin PS2 ZP $1286 (Run Flats) 8.8 rating avg 220 AA A (Wear
Traction Temp)
Firestone SZ50 EP RFT $1434 (Run Flats) 8.1 Rating
Goodyear GS EMT $1288 (Run Flats) 6.6 rating
Michelin AS Plus ZP $744 (Run Flats) 8.3 rating 500 AA A (Wear
Traction Temperature) - has double the tread wear life of the ZPs

From Michelin:
PS2:
Wear Life 8
Fuel Efficiency 10
Handling 10
Braking 10
Comfort 7

AS:
Wear Life 10
Fuel Efficiency 9
Handling 9
Braking 9
Comfort 10

THere it is. You are paying a lot of money for performance on the
ZP. ZA has softer ride and longer wear.

If the AS was available when I bought my tires, I might go for them.

Bob Drake 2000 C5

Old December 8th 10, 09:15 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

In article
Blue C5 > wrote:

> Here is some research

Thanks for the data

Replacement for Michelin All Terrain tires James[_1_] Jeep 9 November 9th 09 10:51 AM
Replacement tires for Vue... No Name Saturn 4 November 29th 07 08:12 PM
2004 CR-V replacement tires Old_dejanews46 Honda 5 May 2nd 05 05:57 AM
Pilot Replacement Tires? TAFKAB Honda 11 April 16th 05 03:36 PM
Replacement Tires for C5 Key Bored Corvette 18 September 18th 04 05:42 PM