Discovery Channel

Old October 12th 04, 05:04 PM
Rufio

"Erik Veit" > wrote in message
> KingPin wrote:
> > The C6, just looks like another eurotrash clone
> >
> > (Accura, Mitsubishi, come to mind) ... that damn
> > "teardrop" headlight trend is like a cancer !

> You say "eurotrash", and then list two Japanese cars as examples. Which

is it?

> --
> "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any

good,
> you'll have to ram them down people's throats." --Howard Aiken

Then there's the problem that, these days, most of the European cars using
those sort of headlights could hardly be called trash - TVR, Aston Martin,
Jaguar, Mercedes, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc. Point being that general
headlight form provides better airflow (and removes the possibility of
failure to pop-up).

So, the question is - do people want a Corvette with pop-up headlights, or
better performance ?

Old October 12th 04, 08:02 PM
Dad

"Rufio" > wrote in message news:0gTad.67481$a85.58765@fed1read04...

> Then there's the problem that, these days, most of the European cars using
> those sort of headlights could hardly be called trash - TVR, Aston Martin,
> Jaguar, Mercedes, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc. Point being that general
> headlight form provides better airflow (and removes the possibility of
> failure to pop-up).
>
> So, the question is - do people want a Corvette with pop-up headlights, or
> better performance ?

Yes.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old October 12th 04, 08:02 PM
Dad

"Rufio" > wrote in message news:0gTad.67481$a85.58765@fed1read04...

> Then there's the problem that, these days, most of the European cars using
> those sort of headlights could hardly be called trash - TVR, Aston Martin,
> Jaguar, Mercedes, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc. Point being that general
> headlight form provides better airflow (and removes the possibility of
> failure to pop-up).
>
> So, the question is - do people want a Corvette with pop-up headlights, or
> better performance ?

Yes.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old October 12th 04, 10:29 PM
Diode

Rufio spoke thusly:

> So, the question is - do people want a Corvette with pop-up headlights, or
> better performance ?

I absolutely defy you to tell the difference in performance between a
car with "pop-up" headlights and the same car without. Can you feel it
in the seat of your pants when accelerating, or just at top end? You
might as well use aluminum lug nuts for the weight savings. The only
place you MIGHT see a difference is in gas mileage (if you drive a LOT
at night). Here's the dollar that you're going to save on gas over the
course of a year.

--

Shut up, Dave.

-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville
Old October 12th 04, 10:29 PM
Diode

Rufio spoke thusly:

Old October 13th 04, 12:29 AM
Dad

"Diode" > wrote in message
t...
> Rufio spoke thusly:
>
>> So, the question is - do people want a Corvette with pop-up headlights,
>> or
>> better performance ?

> I absolutely defy you to tell the difference in performance between a car
> with "pop-up" headlights and the same car without. Can you feel it in the
> seat of your pants when accelerating, or just at top end? You might as
> well use aluminum lug nuts for the weight savings. The only place you
> MIGHT see a difference is in gas mileage (if you drive a LOT at night).
> Here's the dollar that you're going to save on gas over the course of a
> year.
> --
> Shut up, Dave.
>
> -|>|- Diode -|<|-
> '68 L-79 Coupe
> '79 Triumph Bonneville

One of the suckup auto rags wrote that the base C6 would go 186 miles per
hour. They then taped off the grill and moved the outside mirrors in against
the door and made the run again. How they did this with out tweaking the
electronics I don't know but it then broke the 200 miles per hour mark. My
guess is that is where you might see a difference in the popup head light,
at some bazaar speed or absurd accounting practice about night driving
versus daytime driving fuel economy.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old October 13th 04, 12:29 AM
Dad

t...

Old October 13th 04, 12:37 AM
Bob I

IIRC The rag that reported it was Motor Trend, but it was "GM" test
personnel that took the duct taped, folded mirror C5 to 190 not 200.

Old October 13th 04, 12:37 AM
Bob I

Old October 13th 04, 04:05 AM
Dad

"Bob I" > wrote in message
> IIRC The rag that reported it was Motor Trend, but it was "GM" test
> personnel that took the duct taped, folded mirror C5 to 190 not 200.
>
> Dad wrote:
>> "Diode" > wrote in message
>> t...

Snip
>> One of the suckup auto rags wrote that the base C6 would go 186 miles per
>> hour. They then taped off the grill and moved the outside mirrors in
>> against the door and made the run again. How they did this with out
>> tweaking the electronics I don't know but it then broke the 200 miles per
>> hour mark. My guess is that is where you might see a difference in the
>> popup head light, at some bazaar speed or absurd accounting practice
>> about night driving versus daytime driving fuel economy.

Actually I read that in Corvette Fever Oct. 2004 page 20 but that and I
think that maybe the saga with Motor Trend was on a circular track. The one
I was referring to was a straight line run with a return to do it twice and
they only turned the mirrors back, not removed them. I don't think it was my
magazine so I can't confirm who did it.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51