Another frustrated Corvette owner on CAC

Old July 15th 12, 11:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

Default Another frustrated Corvette owner on CAC

Giving up on the piece of junk that GM calls a Corvette.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ad-enough.html

Old August 23rd 12, 11:37 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"uncle_vito" wrote in message
. com...

Giving up on the piece of junk that GM calls a Corvette.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ad-enough.html

I recall having many build quality problems with the 69 350 and then the 71
454 roadsters when bought new. The most memorable was the new 454 having to
to towed back to the dealer at 25 miles and the reluctance of the dealer to
do anything about it. Threats got it running but ultimately I gave up and
took it to a trusted mechanic who found things like a broken carb gasket
(vacuum leak) mismatched plugs etc etc. And then, the rear left side fender
split off since requiring body work. The 350 was better but not by much.
But, once I got the cars past factory quality and assembly problems both
were decent reliable cars. What I learned was not to use the dealer for
service under any circumstances. One has think things are better now -- but
apparently not since the cars are so much more complex than the early C3s
that they are more prone to breaking. Of course, I drive a Honda S2000 now
for "grins" and its bullet-proof -- at 8000 rpm.

Old August 25th 12, 12:09 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I[_2_]

On 8/23/2012 5:37 AM, tww1491 wrote:

> "uncle_vito" wrote in message
> . com...
>
> Giving up on the piece of junk that GM calls a Corvette.
>
> http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ad-enough.html
>

> I recall having many build quality problems with the 69 350 and then the
> 71 454 roadsters when bought new. The most memorable was the new 454
> having to to towed back to the dealer at 25 miles and the reluctance of
> the dealer to do anything about it. Threats got it running but
> ultimately I gave up and took it to a trusted mechanic who found things
> like a broken carb gasket (vacuum leak) mismatched plugs etc etc. And
> then, the rear left side fender split off since requiring body work. The
> 350 was better but not by much. But, once I got the cars past factory
> quality and assembly problems both were decent reliable cars. What I
> learned was not to use the dealer for service under any circumstances.
> One has think things are better now -- but apparently not since the cars
> are so much more complex than the early C3s that they are more prone to
> breaking. Of course, I drive a Honda S2000 now for "grins" and its
> bullet-proof -- at 8000 rpm.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ you need a better gun! ;-)
Old August 25th 12, 02:57 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> "uncle_vito" wrote in message
> . com...
>
> Giving up on the piece of junk that GM calls a Corvette.
>
> http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ad-enough.html
>
> I recall having many build quality problems with the 69 350 and then the
> 71 454 roadsters when bought new. The most memorable was the new 454
> having to to towed back to the dealer at 25 miles and the reluctance of
> the dealer to do anything about it. Threats got it running but ultimately
> I gave up and took it to a trusted mechanic who found things like a broken
> carb gasket (vacuum leak) mismatched plugs etc etc. And then, the rear
> left side fender split off since requiring body work. The 350 was better
> but not by much. But, once I got the cars past factory quality and
> assembly problems both were decent reliable cars. What I learned was not
> to use the dealer for service under any circumstances. One has think
> things are better now -- but apparently not since the cars are so much
> more complex than the early C3s that they are more prone to breaking. Of
> course, I drive a Honda S2000 now for "grins" and its bullet-proof -- at
> 8000 rpm.

Factory assemblers back then were not so great and the factory did not mind
shipping cars still with problems. GM was king back then and you didn't
have much of a choice if you wanted a 'nice' car. Dealers back then were
not so great either. Now there are alternatives to GM.

Back then, if you liked to wrench on cars, you could make them work well.
Obviously the cars were engineering well by 'car guys'. Those designers
loved cars and could at least have a chance against the bean counters.
Today the car guys are gone and the bean counters rule.

Dad. Found you on CAC uncle_vito Corvette 3 June 26th 12 07:11 PM
Getting extremely frustrated csaujon Dodge 2 December 20th 06 12:05 AM
Frustrated! rifleman Technology 5 December 22nd 05 02:49 AM
I'm sick of being a wannabe Corvette owner, I want to be aCorvette owner! Tristan Austin Corvette 18 July 9th 05 08:04 AM
CAC Cruisefest 2005 Tom Corvette 8 April 1st 05 08:33 PM