Cost of repair Audi BMW Saab...(crossposting)

Old May 17th 04, 10:38 PM
JP Roberts

> Thank you. Why anyone would decide to play the "my car has more
> airbags than yours" game in a thread on Audi/BMW/Saab repairs is
> beyond me. Maybe Roberts, here, is doing a research paper on how many
> times he can totally divert a thread with non sequiturs ...

Thanks for the praise but if you check the posts in this thread, the one who
started talking airbags when we were discussing RWD, FWD and AWD was
Krieger:

> > old 'but they're slow and have bad autoboxes' line). Of the lot, I
> > found the Audis (at least all of them after the first 4000/90Q) to be
> > the most boring. Even my Fiat 128 was more entertaining - when it
> > ran. ;^)

> Quite possibly true, but Audis may still probably be the safest of all of
> those.

////A stunning non sequitur. Even if it weren't a hopelessly desperate
/////attempt to change the subject, *who the hell cares*? Driving *any*
/////car is inherently unsafe! My BMW doesn't have *any airbags* - and I
/////*like it* that way!////

When I wrote safest I was thinking of active safety, not airbags!

Old May 19th 04, 08:36 PM
spinny

I have owned all three makes. My current car is a 01 A6. repair
costs for all are about the same, the difference is in how often they
require repair. Now you can get complaints about every make and model
out there, so you must understand this. here are the cars I have
owned

A6 4.2 (current) 42k miles- no repairs

9-3 Saab Convt. Sold with 39k. bought with 22k, certified. was in
the shop 8 times in 7 months, NONE of these were maintenance related.
the shortest time in service was 4 days, the longest 3.5 weeks.
probably the worst car I have ever owned. when running correct it was
all kinds of fun and a joy to drive. A lemon, no doubt. got rid of
it due to the breakdowns, all of which were covered by warranty, but
totalled over 8k.

BMW 525 sold with 107K, in the shop one time for shocks, and lower
control arms.

Audi 90 Q In the shop three times, once for starter, ignition switch
and another for cat. converter. Sold for the Bimmer, great car
though.

Audi 90 Q. same car as above, never in the shop until an accident at
60 mph in which a car tried to turn in front of me on the hi-way. I
walked away, car was a complete loss.

Saab 900 convt. A/c o-ring replaced at 24k under warranty

So, drive each car, find as much as you can about it both the model
and the specific car. call the VIN into a friendly dealer and they can
help you with repair info. check the car out. any of these can be
great, but as with any car they can also be nightmares. I am probably
the only one on the earth that had a lemon of a honda, so you can
never tell

spinny
Old May 19th 04, 11:10 PM
Byron

>>Now you will talk speed, not safety ! Interesting enough that you mention
>>threshold braking though, because I think that's something many people
>>should learn to do. I don't doubt your BMW might be faster if you chose the
>>road or circuit, but if I was granted the privilege of choosing my own road,
>>then things would be very different.
>>

>You think so? Whaddya want? Sears Point? Going to the Sun Highway?
>Sebring? München to Interlaken? Watkins Glen? Yellowstone to
>Jackson Hole? Mid Ohio? Loveland Pass? The Amalfi Drive? Lime
>Rock? Oaxaca to Veracruz? Ohio 555? Aosta to the Matterhorn? I
>haven't even been to all those places (the most anal retentive
>researchers might discover it's all but one), but I'm ready.
>--
>C.R. Krieger
>(Been there; drove that)

I've never met either of you, so I have no idea of your driving
abilities. It would be interesting for you to race on any of those
roads, exchange cars, and do it over again. That would help eliminate
driver skill from the equation, assuming you were both fairly competent,
and let the virtues of the vehicles be seen. That's what this thread
was originally about, right? Well, no, but it would be an interesting
comparison anyway.
But then again, I'm not sure what model BMW and Audi you guys own - if
the BMW was an older powerful RWD sportscar (like the 507) that was
1000+ lighter than a newer (safer) much heavier AWD Audi sedan, the BMW
would run away with a race unless the road conditions were truly
horrible. Racing a 3.2 TTq vs. a 3.0 Z4 would be more of a direct
comparison for the AWD vs. RWD debate.

- Byron
Old May 23rd 04, 09:23 PM
JP Roberts

Just let me know when you're in Europe.

Old May 23rd 04, 09:58 PM
Johannes H Andersen

JP Roberts wrote:

> Just let me know when you're in Europe.

That shouldn't be too difficult, only 2500 miles across ;-)