audi and kaipola ski jump advertisiement - climbing an icy hill

Old January 18th 06, 08:10 AM posted to alt.autos.audi,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.driving

Default audi and kaipola ski jump advertisiement - climbing an icy hill

In article et>,
"Tomes" > wrote:

> "Alan Baker" > wrote in message
>
> > And the explains the problem:
> >
> > " is hard to believe that, after quite literally scaling new heights, he
> > has just parked his Atlas Grey Audi A6 4.2 quattro 47 metres off the
> > ground at an angle of 37.5 degrees and that is approximately equivalent
> > to an 80 percent gradient."
> >
> > 80%, not 80 degrees.
> >

> In a given distance it rises 80% of that distance.
> Tomes

Yes.

But the original poster said 80 *degrees*. He had clearly mistaken one
for the other or heard about it from someone who'd been so mistaken.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 18th 06, 10:21 AM posted to alt.autos.audi,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.driving

Tomes wrote:
> "Alan Baker" > wrote in message
>

>>And the explains the problem:
>>
>>" is hard to believe that, after quite literally scaling new heights, he
>>has just parked his Atlas Grey Audi A6 4.2 quattro 47 metres off the
>>ground at an angle of 37.5 degrees and that is approximately equivalent
>>to an 80 percent gradient."
>>
>>80%, not 80 degrees.
>>

> In a given distance it rises 80% of that distance.
> Tomes

So how did they get 0.8 from 37.5 degrees?
Is that the tangent of the slope angle? It is close numerically, but
it doesnt sound right, as it can exceed 100%. Or is the sinus? That
doesnt match numerically with 0.8.
Old January 18th 06, 11:12 AM posted to alt.autos.audi,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.driving

"223rem" > wrote in message

> So how did they get 0.8 from 37.5 degrees?
> Is that the tangent of the slope angle? It is close numerically, but
> it doesnt sound right, as it can exceed 100%. Or is the sinus? That
> doesnt match numerically with 0.8.

Your observation is correct, it's the tangent function. Gradient
is the ratio of vertical elevation -vs- horisontal displacement, and
with slopes greater than 45 degrees the vertical elevation goes up
faster - hence it is possible for gradient to measure past 100% .

For instance, the gradient of a ladder leaning against a wall can be
several hundred %'s, and the gradient of an upright wall itself is as
much as infinite... :-)

Cheers!

- Risto -

Old January 18th 06, 12:19 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.driving

The message >
from "Risto Lankinen" > contains these words:

> For instance, the gradient of a ladder leaning against a wall can be
> several hundred %'s, and the gradient of an upright wall itself is as
> much as infinite... :-)

Or possibly even negative if your builder's had one too many for lunch.

--
Skipweasel
Old January 18th 06, 01:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.driving

In article <uMnzf.715733$_o.133366@attbi_s71>, 223rem wrote:
>Tomes wrote:
>> "Alan Baker" > wrote in message
>>

>>>And the explains the problem:
>>>
>>>" is hard to believe that, after quite literally scaling new heights, he
>>>has just parked his Atlas Grey Audi A6 4.2 quattro 47 metres off the
>>>ground at an angle of 37.5 degrees and that is approximately equivalent
>>>to an 80 percent gradient."
>>>
>>>80%, not 80 degrees.
>>>

>> In a given distance it rises 80% of that distance.
>> Tomes

>So how did they get 0.8 from 37.5 degrees?
>Is that the tangent of the slope angle? It is close numerically, but
>it doesnt sound right, as it can exceed 100%. Or is the sinus? That
>doesnt match numerically with 0.8.

Percentage, as written down on the warning traffic signs (e.g.,
http://www.signaco.si/znaki/nevarno/nevar15s.gif and
http://www.signaco.si/znaki/nevarno/nevar16s.gif) is defined as the
vertical distance ascended (or descended) versus the horizontal distance
travelled, 100*b/a in the following diagram:

/|
/ |
c/ |b
/ |
/____|

This is the tangens of the angle between sides c and a. The gradient is
also given as 1:X, but this is just the fraction b/a written as 1a/b).

Here's a table of some gradients in degrees and percentages, both rounded
to 0 decimal places:

deg | perc.
===========
90 | infinity
31 | 60
30 | 58
27 | 50
17 | 30
14 | 25
6 | 10

--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng/, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"
Old January 18th 06, 02:11 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.driving

Pooh Bear, > was motivated to say
this in rec.autos.driving on Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:41:37 +0000:

> 37.5 degrees actually.

38.66 degrees (assuming I did the trig right)...

Old January 18th 06, 03:34 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.driving

It's actually a lot of fun doing that!

We regularly used to take our Jeeps out to a local sand pit area before
it closed that is challenging in the summer and run it in the winter.
It is a blast and our 4x4's can climb wicked slopes in snow. Way more
than 37.5 degrees.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 18th 06, 05:29 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.driving

223rem > wrote:

> Tomes wrote:
> > "Alan Baker" > wrote in message
> >

> >>And the explains the problem:
> >>
> >>" is hard to believe that, after quite literally scaling new heights, he
> >>has just parked his Atlas Grey Audi A6 4.2 quattro 47 metres off the
> >>ground at an angle of 37.5 degrees and that is approximately equivalent
> >>to an 80 percent gradient."
> >>
> >>80%, not 80 degrees.
> >>

> > In a given distance it rises 80% of that distance.
> > Tomes

> So how did they get 0.8 from 37.5 degrees?
> Is that the tangent of the slope angle? It is close numerically, but
> it doesnt sound right, as it can exceed 100%. Or is the sinus? That
> doesnt match numerically with 0.8.

A slope *can* exceed 100%, because yes, it is the tangent of the slope
angle. A 45 degree slope is 100%.

Old January 18th 06, 05:36 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.driving

In article >,
Erik-Jan Geniets > wrote:

> Alan Baker wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > Erik-Jan Geniets > wrote:

> > > At this angle, in terrain (no snow or ice) you will need grip.
> > > Without AWD or 4WD you will be left with a spinning (rear) wheel.
> > > Kind regards,
> > > Erik-Jan.

> > You really should study physics a little...

> Why? We are talking about an angle of 37.5 degrees here which can be
> done with most 4x4's with low range T-case. On tarmac you will even
> succeed without spinning wheels.

Your missing the point. At 37.5 degrees, almost the entire weight of the
vehicle will be on the rear wheels. Take a wheelbase of 8' for example
and assume a 50-50 weight distribution. If the centre of mass is located
at 8/2 * 80% = 3.2 feet, then the entire weight of the vehicle would be
on the rear wheels on a 80% or 37.5 degree slope.

Hence the OP was suggesting that only RWD would be necessary.