Dodge Intrepid 2.7L engine problems Replace with 3.2

Old December 18th 04, 02:39 AM
toyota1

Most we have seen have been sluged badly, due to maintenance issues, but
the intrepid i own had its oil changed every 3000 miles since new, and the
timing chain failed at 45k still.

Old December 18th 04, 03:01 AM
toyota1

also, how is it considered tampering when none of the emissions components
are removed or compromised? would it not be the same "tampering" if you
were to remove a v6 from a 1981 monte carlo and replace with a 5.7l???
all you are doing is replacing the standard 2.7 with the optional
3.2l---90% of the parts except hoses, intake and radiator are
different......

Old December 18th 04, 01:36 PM
maxpower

Im not saying it is tampering, I was simply stating...but if you use a
different application PCM for another engine i would think that in the eyes
of EPA they may consider that tampering
lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 18th 04, 01:36 PM
maxpower

Im not saying it is tampering, I was simply stating...but if you use a
different application PCM for another engine i would think that in the eyes
of EPA they may consider that tampering
lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 18th 04, 01:38 PM
maxpower

wow. i havent even heard of a timing chain failure yet,
lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 18th 04, 01:38 PM
maxpower

wow. i havent even heard of a timing chain failure yet,
lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 18th 04, 06:52 PM
Larry Crites

I don't have sludging problems. Maybe my oil, filter and maintenance
combinations work. I don't use Pennzoil. Here's one oil that creates sludge.
I've seen it sludge up rebuilt engines in no time. I just can't bring myself
to buy a foreign manufacturer's vehicle.

Larry
Unlock the Universe

"toyota1" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
| larry, the problem with the 2.7 is that the oil pickup and passages in the
| cylinder heads are too small and it causes a large amount of sludge to
| form, thus reducing the oil flow to the top end, and damaging timing chain
| and valve train. as these are an interference engine, if the timing chain
| breaks, pistons hit valves, and so on.. ive seen 2.7s with 40k miles on up
| to 120k miles fail. it all depends on the maintenance of the vehicle.
sorry

Old December 18th 04, 06:52 PM
Larry Crites

Old December 18th 04, 08:13 PM
toyota1

Im surprised that you are a chrysler tech and havent seen any chains or
2.7s fail, the local chrysler dealer here says they do 3 to 4 per month--
timing chains or engine replacements due to sludge or lower end failures--
must not be too common yet in your area. I looked up intrepids on the local
auto trader and found 12 listed with blown 2.7l engines.