When to change timing belt? - 2001 Civic EX

Old September 10th 05, 05:13 PM
Andy Fekete

Default When to change timing belt? - 2001 Civic EX

What is the recommended mileage to change the timing belt on a 2001 Civic
EX? I thought it was 90,000 miles, but the dealer is saying it should be
changed at 75,000 miles here in South Florida because it considered "severe"
conditions. I drive 90% highway miles and have a hard time buyng this...

Andy

Old September 10th 05, 07:30 PM
jim beam

Andy Fekete wrote:
> What is the recommended mileage to change the timing belt on a 2001 Civic
> EX? I thought it was 90,000 miles, but the dealer is saying it should be
> changed at 75,000 miles here in South Florida because it considered "severe"
> conditions. I drive 90% highway miles and have a hard time buyng this...
>
> Andy

what does it say in your owners manual?

Old September 10th 05, 08:02 PM
'Curly Q. Links'

Andy Fekete wrote:

> What is the recommended mileage to change the timing belt on a 2001 Civic
> EX? I thought it was 90,000 miles, but the dealer is saying it should be
> changed at 75,000 miles here in South Florida because it considered "severe"
> conditions. I drive 90% highway miles and have a hard time buyng this...
>
> Andy

========================

'severe' = hauling a trainer a lot, or rooftop box, very short trips
(engine never gets dried out), -40 F without a plug in, living in
mountainous terrain, dusty and muddy.

You might qualify because of high heat, but your highway mileage offsets
it a bit. How hot does it really get, or is it just the humidity?

I'd probably go with the 'normal' schedule if I was you.. Many Canadians
qualify for the 'normal' schedule too, but there's a blanket statement
in the manual that says all Canadians should use the SEVERE schedule
(what a crock).

'Curly'
Old September 11th 05, 05:18 AM
slim

Andy Fekete wrote:

> What is the recommended mileage to change the timing belt on a 2001 Civic
> EX? I thought it was 90,000 miles, but the dealer is saying it should be
> changed at 75,000 miles here in South Florida because it considered "severe"
> conditions. I drive 90% highway miles and have a hard time buyng this...

How much does The Stealer want for the job? $650?

You should have the water pump done at the same time.

A competant Honda mechanic can get it done with OEM
parts for $400-450.

--

Donald Rumsfeld: "If you're asking if there's a direct
link between 9/11 and Iraq, the answer is no."

On May 01, 2003, President Bush declared that,
"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended."

"I'm the commander -- see, I don't need to explain --
I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the
interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they
say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody
an explanation. "
- George "Dubya" Bush
Old September 14th 05, 02:11 AM
Andy Fekete

"'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in message
> Andy Fekete wrote:
>>
>> What is the recommended mileage to change the timing belt on a 2001 Civic
>> EX? I thought it was 90,000 miles, but the dealer is saying it should be
>> changed at 75,000 miles here in South Florida because it considered
>> "severe"
>> conditions. I drive 90% highway miles and have a hard time buyng this...
>>
>> Andy

> ========================
>
> 'severe' = hauling a trainer a lot, or rooftop box, very short trips
> (engine never gets dried out), -40 F without a plug in, living in
> mountainous terrain, dusty and muddy.
>
> You might qualify because of high heat, but your highway mileage offsets
> it a bit. How hot does it really get, or is it just the humidity?
>
> I'd probably go with the 'normal' schedule if I was you.. Many Canadians
> qualify for the 'normal' schedule too, but there's a blanket statement
> in the manual that says all Canadians should use the SEVERE schedule
> (what a crock).
>
> 'Curly'

The temperature never gets over the mid-90's here in South Florida. It's
mainly high humidity that makes it so hot here during the summer. BTW, I
just checked the owner's manual and it says the normal schedule for timing
belt replacement is 110,000 miles, so there's no way I'm changing it at
75,000 miles... I think they just SEVEREly want my money.... ;-)

Andy