2.7T Gas Mileage

Old January 21st 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ken K

Default 2.7T Gas Mileage

I am a recent owner of a 03 2.7T and am getting about 18 mpg. I am running
premium gas and most of the driving is highway. The computer claims I am
getting an average of 21.6. Does this sound right? If not, what can I do to
improve the mileage?
Thanks, K

Old January 22nd 08, 12:49 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
"Ken K" > wrote:

> I am a recent owner of a 03 2.7T and am getting about 18 mpg. I am running
> premium gas and most of the driving is highway. The computer claims I am
> getting an average of 21.6. Does this sound right? If not, what can I do to
> improve the mileage?
> Thanks, K

That's probably right unless it's a diesel. Audis suck gasoline.

I don't know the specifics of your car, but some of them can run on
cheaper gas with no ill effect for light driving. Fill up with 87 or 89
(US grades) for weekday commuting then put in 91 or 92 for the weekend
trip out of town.

--
I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.
Old January 22nd 08, 02:29 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:12:38 -0500, "Ken K" > wrote:

>I am a recent owner of a 03 2.7T and am getting about 18 mpg. I am running
>premium gas and most of the driving is highway. The computer claims I am
>getting an average of 21.6. Does this sound right? If not, what can I do to
>improve the mileage?
>Thanks, K

I live in New England, and have kept a mileage-tracking spreadsheet on all of
our vehicles (for god only knows what reasons ;-) Over its life (I've owned it
since brand spanking new), my S4 has averaged an actual 20.56 miles per
gallon, while the computer-calculated mileage has indicated an average of
21.50 mpg. Not too bad an error rate (4.39%). All fuel used was at least 91
octane; and I'm guessing most of those miles were using 10% ethanol.

The vast majority of my S4 mileage has been on the highway, usually cruising
at around 85mph in top (6th) gear.

Are you driving an A6 S-line, or ? I expect the 6er is heavier than my car,
which might explain some of the difference...

Cheers

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old January 22nd 08, 07:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
tpow

"Ken K" > wrote in message
. ..
>I am a recent owner of a 03 2.7T and am getting about 18 mpg. I am running
>premium gas and most of the driving is highway. The computer claims I am
>getting an average of 21.6. Does this sound right? If not, what can I do to
>improve the mileage?
> Thanks, K

keep the revs to around 2000-2200, no hard acceleration or high speeds up
through the gears.

keep tyres at the correct pressure.............

reduce air con/climate control running..............

Old January 22nd 08, 03:21 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

On Jan 21, 5:12 pm, "Ken K" > wrote:
> I am a recent owner of a 03 2.7T and am getting about 18 mpg. I am running
> premium gas and most of the driving is highway. The computer claims I am
> getting an average of 21.6. Does this sound right? If not, what can I do to
> improve the mileage?
> Thanks, K

Well, that's a little below the EPA estimates of 18/25, but, of
course, that's the old estimate that doesn't reflect real-world
driving like using the climate control, headlights, etc. Any codes
stored in the car? You can get that checked at Autozone for free.
Might not be a bad idea to make sure there is nothing going on that
might not be generating a CEL. I'm not sure how the computer
calculates the mileage but the old 'divide the elapsed mileage by the
number of gallons' is the best way to calculate it. My computer seems
to read a little high.

In my car I have averaged 22.78 mpg since new, 80% around-town
driving.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA
Old January 24th 08, 05:44 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_10_]

"Ken K" wrote
>I am a recent owner of a 03 2.7T and am getting about 18 mpg. I am
>running premium gas and most of the driving is highway. The computer
>claims I am getting an average of 21.6. Does this sound right? If not,
>what can I do to improve the mileage?

When was the last time your sparkplugs and engine air filter were
replaced? If it's been a while, you may want to replace them. 18 mpg
seems a little low, but then again, it depends on how fast you drive.

Pete

Old January 24th 08, 06:11 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
K04-S4

Check the owner's manaul or the gas tank fill door to confirm the 2.7T
needs a minimum of 91 Octane fuel. Being a twin turbo engine with knock
sensors, filling up with a lower grade fuel will definitely reduce gas
mileage and performance. Lower octane fuels also increase risk of
clogging up the fuel system as well as increasing emmissions which is
harder on O2 sensors, EGT sensors and all four of the the expensive
catalytic convertors.

What is the vehicle odometer mileage?

Recommend a VAG scan to see if there are O2 sensor or EGT sensor codes.
Failing O2's and EGT Sensors will reduce gas mileage. I replaced both
front O2's at 80K KMs on 2.7T, they are primary feedback to ECU for auto
adjusting A/F mixture. VAG-COM supports tests that can be performed to
check responsiveness of O2s, they can become sluggish with age before
triggering DTCs and CELs.

--
K04-S4
K04-S4's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=2727

Old January 25th 08, 10:09 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Benjamin Gawert

* Kevin McMurtrie:
> Audis suck gasoline.

Not unless used in a country with low fuel quality. Remember that these
engines are developed with European ROZ95/98 in mind and have to be
modified/limited (electronically and/or mechanically) to run somewhat
reliable in countries that have inferior fuel quality standards than
western Europe.

Benjamin
Old January 25th 08, 03:38 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_10_]

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote
> Not unless used in a country with low fuel quality. Remember that
> these engines are developed with European ROZ95/98 in mind and have to
> be modified/limited (electronically and/or mechanically) to run
> somewhat reliable in countries that have inferior fuel quality
> standards than western Europe.

Are you saying all Audis sold in the US have to be modified in order to
run reliably here?

Are you aware of two different formulas used around the world to
calculate the octane number?

Regards,
Pete

Old January 25th 08, 03:43 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Vk

On Jan 24, 11:11*am, K04-S4 > wrote:
> Check the owner's manaul or the gas tank fill door to confirm the 2.7T
> needs a minimum of 91 Octane fuel. *Being a twin turbo engine with knock
> sensors, filling up with a lower grade fuel will definitely reduce gas
> mileage and performance. *Lower octane fuels also increase risk of
> clogging up the fuel system as well as increasing emmissions which is
> harder on O2 sensors, EGT sensors and all four of the the expensive
> catalytic convertors.
>
> What is the vehicle odometer mileage?
>
> Recommend a VAG scan to see if there are O2 sensor or EGT sensor codes.
> Failing O2's and EGT Sensors will reduce gas mileage. *I replaced both
> front O2's at 80K KMs on 2.7T, they are primary feedback to ECU for auto
> adjusting A/F mixture. *VAG-COM supports tests that can be performed to
> check responsiveness of O2s, they can become sluggish with age before
> triggering DTCs and CELs.
>
> --
> K04-S4
> K04-S4's Profile:http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=2727
> View this thread:http://www.audiforum.ca/showthread.php?t=15724

I have a 2000 A6 2.7L twinturbo. I use 93 octane. My mileage is about
21-22 from a mix of local and highway travel. When I average just the
highway then the mileage seems higher ~25 and if it is local then it
falls to ~19. Once my average went to 17 or 18 even with enough
highway travel from 21. This went about few weeks and my car starting
shaking and I had to turn it in to a mechanic (decent one) and he
found lot of deposit on one of my valves. he opened up the engine,
replaced it and costed me a lot of money. I would recommend spark
plug change and engine cleaning to remove any deposits.

even with low mileage [email protected][_1_] VW air cooled 0 December 19th 06 04:20 AM
Gas Mileage mike113 Chrysler 4 February 8th 06 08:31 PM
Mileage Ellen L Hawley 4x4 0 January 22nd 06 08:47 PM
High Mileage VW Bug Mileage Paul Regal VW air cooled 51 April 5th 05 07:36 AM
What gas mileage do you get? BananaRepublican VW air cooled 59 April 3rd 05 09:12 PM