Replace all tires for a flat one?

Old December 2nd 04, 11:08 PM
Ocean

Default Replace all tires for a flat one?

My tire (rear/passenger side) got flat and the dealer told me it can't
be fixed for a safty reason. That's ok. However, he asked me to
replace all tires in order to tune ABS and so forth cause it is 4WD(I
know only a little about car). BTW, the car is a 2003 XLT. I bought
this car last year and it is only less than 15K miles so far. Is that
a reasonable solution? I appreciate your suggestions!
Old December 2nd 04, 11:30 PM
Searcher

He is just trying to sell you tires! The ABS system is not going to be
affected by the mere 1/4 of tread gain on one tire. YOu have 4 ABS sensors
each one working independently of the other. I don't know what tires you
have now or the condition of such. But on my Explorer I have BF G's All
terrain TA's the ones in the front right now, have 13/32 of tread the back
have 15/32 tread yes they are only about 6 months old. So, is your dealer
going to tell me that my ABS is out of tune because of 2/32 o tread
difference. If he did I would get it in writing then take them to the better
business. If your tires are down to less than 3/32 of tread depth then you
should replace all of them. He may have said that it can't be fixed for
saftey reasons because as a general rule most tire facilities will not
repair a tire that is less than 3/32 of tread depth or the hole is within
3/4 of a sidewall.
I hope this helps, But please don't beleive the ABS crap, thats a sales
tactic meant to worry you into new tires. Much like telling a woman (my
wife) that her brakes are wearing down. I looked at the brake pads to find
over half of the of pad left, they were fine. But it was said in order to
"SELL THE SAFTEY" issue.

Searcher1

om...

Old December 3rd 04, 05:43 PM
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

"Ocean" > wrote in message
om...
> My tire (rear/passenger side) got flat and the dealer told me it can't
> be fixed for a safty reason. That's ok. However, he asked me to
> replace all tires in order to tune ABS and so forth cause it is 4WD(I
> know only a little about car). BTW, the car is a 2003 XLT. I bought
> this car last year and it is only less than 15K miles so far. Is that
> a reasonable solution? I appreciate your suggestions!

Your dealer is an "ASSHOLE" Find a good/honest tire store and talk with
them. Most of them will tell you what can/can't be safely repaired.
I only go back to the dealer for factory recalls or defects.

Old December 4th 04, 10:51 PM
Janet

> "Ocean" > wrote in message
> om...
> > My tire (rear/passenger side) got flat and the dealer told me it can't
> > be fixed for a safty reason. That's ok. However, he asked me to
> > replace all tires in order to tune ABS and so forth cause it is 4WD(I
> > know only a little about car). BTW, the car is a 2003 XLT. I bought
> > this car last year and it is only less than 15K miles so far. Is that
> > a reasonable solution? I appreciate your suggestions!

What I would do is buy a new tire to match, take the spare which should
be new and put that on. This way you have two new tires on the same
axle. Then I use the other that had 15k on it for the spare.

Janet
Old December 5th 04, 08:13 PM
Capt Retardo and the Skidmarks

Previously in rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer, Janet
> proclaimed :

>> "Ocean" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > My tire (rear/passenger side) got flat and the dealer told me it can't
>> > be fixed for a safty reason. That's ok. However, he asked me to
>> > replace all tires in order to tune ABS and so forth cause it is 4WD(I
>> > know only a little about car). BTW, the car is a 2003 XLT. I bought
>> > this car last year and it is only less than 15K miles so far. Is that
>> > a reasonable solution? I appreciate your suggestions!

>What I would do is buy a new tire to match, take the spare which should
>be new and put that on. This way you have two new tires on the same
>axle. Then I use the other that had 15k on it for the spare.
>
>Janet

unfortunately, the dealer is correct. In a 4wd system, *all* tires
must be replaced. The uneven tread depth that a new tire would
can really mess up your 4x4 drive train.

If you never put the vehicle in 4x4 then it isn't an issue.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Unknown
Remove "die spammers" to email
Old December 5th 04, 09:15 PM
Hairy

"Ocean" > wrote in message
om...
> My tire (rear/passenger side) got flat and the dealer told me it can't
> be fixed for a safty reason. That's ok. However, he asked me to
> replace all tires in order to tune ABS and so forth cause it is 4WD(I
> know only a little about car). BTW, the car is a 2003 XLT. I bought
> this car last year and it is only less than 15K miles so far. Is that
> a reasonable solution? I appreciate your suggestions!

We had a similar situation on our Sport Trac at about 20000 miles. The
dealer suggested putting the new spare on in place of the cut tire. (Tire
was cut, but not clear through).
That's what we did and have had no problems with ABS or 4wd.
I think your dealer just wants to sell tires.

Old December 5th 04, 10:23 PM

Absolute claptrap. Get yourself a new and HONEST dealer. It doesnot
work that way....
Old December 6th 04, 12:28 AM
351CJ

"Ocean" > wrote in message
om...
> My tire (rear/passenger side) got flat and the dealer told me it can't
> be fixed for a safty reason. That's ok. However, he asked me to
> replace all tires in order to tune ABS and so forth cause it is 4WD(I
> know only a little about car). BTW, the car is a 2003 XLT. I bought
> this car last year and it is only less than 15K miles so far. Is that
> a reasonable solution? I appreciate your suggestions!

If you have a locking rear end, you should have the same sized and brand of
tires with similar tread wear on both sides. Because, different sized tires
will greatly increase the wear and tear on your locking assembly (clutches)
because the tires are unable to spin at the same rate.

If you have a 4x4 It is great practice to keep the same sized and brand of
tires with similar tread wear on all 4 corners. I always do, But unless it
is full time 4x4, or you are in the habit of running around in four wheel
drive on dry pavement, it really is not that critical as long as the new
tire is the same sized and brand as the other 3. If you have the locking
rear end, make sure you have two "matching" on the rear axel.

I have owned and driven 4x4 Ford trucks and Bronco's for 25 years. I always
replace my tires in sets of 4, (the newest truck will be sets of 6 :-0) the
only time I have lost a tire to a catastrophic failure and have not had all
4 tires last the life of the set, was when I punched 2 separate sidewalls on
two consecutive weekends on a fairly new set of tires. These tires were
purchased from Les Schwab tires, a regional North West dealer who has
offered full on and off road, unlimited warranty which covers sidewall
punctures since I have been driving, they replaced both for free.

If you are not running around on dry pavement in four wheel drive, have the
single new tire of the same brand and size put on the front and you will be
fine.

Good Luck

Old December 6th 04, 06:38 AM
Big Bill

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 14:13:36 -0500, Capt Retardo and the Skidmarks
> wrote:

>Previously in rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer, Janet
> proclaimed :
>

>>> "Ocean" > wrote in message
>>> om...
>>>

>>What I would do is buy a new tire to match, take the spare which should
>>be new and put that on. This way you have two new tires on the same
>>axle. Then I use the other that had 15k on it for the spare.
>>
>>Janet

>unfortunately, the dealer is correct. In a 4wd system, *all* tires
>must be replaced. The uneven tread depth that a new tire would
>can really mess up your 4x4 drive train.
>
>If you never put the vehicle in 4x4 then it isn't an issue.

Nope.
The differential will take up any such minor differences in tire
circunference.
And since 4x4 should only be used when the tires can slip anyway,
that's *really* not true.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 6th 04, 06:44 AM
Big Bill

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:28:24 GMT, "351CJ" > wrote:

>"Ocean" > wrote in message
. com...
>> My tire (rear/passenger side) got flat and the dealer told me it can't
>> be fixed for a safty reason. That's ok. However, he asked me to
>> replace all tires in order to tune ABS and so forth cause it is 4WD(I
>> know only a little about car). BTW, the car is a 2003 XLT. I bought
>> this car last year and it is only less than 15K miles so far. Is that
>> a reasonable solution? I appreciate your suggestions!

>If you have a locking rear end, you should have the same sized and brand of
>tires with similar tread wear on both sides. Because, different sized tires
>will greatly increase the wear and tear on your locking assembly (clutches)
>because the tires are unable to spin at the same rate.

A locking rear end should not be locked unless traction is poor enough
to allow the tires to slip. This means that even with the diff locked,
a minor difference in tire circumference won't matter.

>If you have a 4x4 It is great practice to keep the same sized and brand of
>tires with similar tread wear on all 4 corners. I always do, But unless it
>is full time 4x4, or you are in the habit of running around in four wheel
>drive on dry pavement, it really is not that critical as long as the new
>tire is the same sized and brand as the other 3. If you have the locking
>rear end, make sure you have two "matching" on the rear axel.

Yes, same brand and size. But tire size is nominal; small differences
occur within the same model.
Ever see race teams measure their tires with an eye to placing the
different sizes on different corners to improve handling? And these
are racing tires; hand made, to be as uniform as possible. Tires
bought 'off the rack', so to speak, are not identical.
See above for the locking rear end thing.

>I have owned and driven 4x4 Ford trucks and Bronco's for 25 years. I always
>replace my tires in sets of 4, (the newest truck will be sets of 6 :-0) the
>only time I have lost a tire to a catastrophic failure and have not had all
>4 tires last the life of the set, was when I punched 2 separate sidewalls on
>two consecutive weekends on a fairly new set of tires. These tires were
>purchased from Les Schwab tires, a regional North West dealer who has
>offered full on and off road, unlimited warranty which covers sidewall
>punctures since I have been driving, they replaced both for free.
>
>If you are not running around on dry pavement in four wheel drive, have the
>single new tire of the same brand and size put on the front and you will be
>fine.

Why would anyone run around in four wheel drive on dry pavement?
25 years?
Not to sound like I'm making fun of you, but your post does not
reflect the experience of four-wheeling for 25 years.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"