knocks on startup

Old September 10th 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
dodger

Default knocks on startup

I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan 3.3 litre engine. Lately I have noticed
there seems to be a bit of a knocking sound on start up.......usually
morning startup. I have about 124,000 kilometres (Canadian) on the
engine.
Should I put some kind of engine additive in with the next oil change
and, if so, any recommendations???Thanks
thanks,
Dodger

Old September 10th 07, 03:44 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ripcord

Replace the oil pump. I did just that on my wifes Caravan last year and it
stop that noise. On cold days it was worst and lasted long.

oups.com...

Old September 10th 07, 06:14 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
dodger

On Sep 10, 11:44 am, "Ripcord" > wrote:
> Replace the oil pump. I did just that on my wifes Caravan last year and it
> stop that noise. On cold days it was worst and lasted long.
>
> "dodger" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> >I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan 3.3 litre engine. Lately I have noticed
> > there seems to be a bit of a knocking sound on start up.......usually
> > morning startup. I have about 124,000 kilometres (Canadian) on the
> > engine.
> > Should I put some kind of engine additive in with the next oil change
> > and, if so, any recommendations???Thanks
> > thanks,
> > Dodger

+++++++++++++++++
Thanks for the advice......is an oil pump an expensive
proposition????????????????????????
Dodger

Old September 10th 07, 08:17 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"dodger" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan 3.3 litre engine. Lately I have noticed
> there seems to be a bit of a knocking sound on start up.......usually
> morning startup. I have about 124,000 kilometres (Canadian) on the
> engine.
> Should I put some kind of engine additive in with the next oil change
> and, if so, any recommendations???Thanks
> thanks,
> Dodger

Before you start throwing parts at it not knowing if it is going to fix it
or not, why not have the noise diagnosed to find out what the problem is?
there is alot of things that could cause a knock. without hearing what the
noise is would be hard to say what it is on line

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old September 18th 07, 11:21 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
truckdriver

On Sep 10, 3:17 pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> "dodger" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan 3.3 litre engine. Lately I have noticed
> > there seems to be a bit of a knocking sound on start up.......usually
> > morning startup. I have about 124,000 kilometres (Canadian) on the
> > engine.
> > Should I put some kind of engine additive in with the next oil change
> > and, if so, any recommendations???Thanks
> > thanks,
> > Dodger

> Before you start throwing parts at it not knowing if it is going to fix it
> or not, why not have the noise diagnosed to find out what the problem is?
> there is alot of things that could cause a knock. without hearing what the
> noise is would be hard to say what it is on line
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

i know on the 3.3 liters if you dent the oil pan you will get that
knock to the pick up tube is so close to the bottom of the pan it
slows the oil flow up and it could cause the motor to blow