2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2

Old December 3rd 04, 11:48 AM
E.R.

In a previous posting, (Seth Brundle)
had the audacity to say:

:I have a 2000 540i, and am looking to upgrade.
:It looks like a dead heat between the 05 545i and 05 A6 4.2.

They're both very nice cars imo.

:The first time I saw a 2005 545i I was like 'YUCK!!!'.

I dunno, I think the new 5ers look just fine. But I suppose they
are a bit of an acquired taste.

:The Audi is limited to 130 MPH and although thats unfortunate,

Yes, but it should be sharkable (once the car is broken in of
course). I agree that governors that artifically limit the top
speed of a very well engineered and capable vehicle are a
terrible thing, just in principle. That the driver may never
intend to drive faster than 110 mph or whatever is beside the
point.

The Euro spec version of that car would probably be restricted
to a much more reasonable 155 mph.

:I think
:I've only exceeded that once in the 540i anyway, and just briefly.

Probably nothing reckless about that, those are very capable and
well handling cars. When one drives a superior quality vehicle,
one doesn't notice the speed as much. 130 mph in your 540 would
probably feel more sedate and planted than 90 mph in my old (no
longer driven) Grand Scam...

:I know I'll like driving the BMW more, thats what got me the 540i.
:I've driven Audis - they are 'smooth' - real smooth, but Im not
:looking for smooth, I like 'fun'.

Audis aren't fun? I thought they were trying to copy BMW in
every way these days.

--
E.R. aka SJG aka Ricardo
present location: vancouver bc canada
Old December 3rd 04, 03:39 PM
Charlie Giannetto

In article >, Pete > wrote:

>"Tony" wrote
>> At an on track driving 'school' last spring I was driving a friend's
>> '04 S4 4.2 (which is also supposed to have a limit of 130) and was
>> hitting 150+ on the straight with a lot of room to go.
>>
>> Tony

>According to the US specs, the S4 is electronically limited to 155 mph.
>And of course you can remove that limit by getting an aftermarket
>chip/software as well.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Pete

Although I haven't taken mine up past that value, the limiter on the
US S4 is on paper only (not actually turned on in the ECU software),
according to some reputable sources on the AudiWorld forums. The car
should top out at or around 170 (assuming you had a place that you
could actually reach that speed).

- Charlie
Old December 3rd 04, 04:07 PM
Fred W

GRL wrote:
> It may drive great and you can't tell how ugly it may be from inside, but
> remember, every time that you go to drive it you're going to have to look at
> it before you get inside.
>
> A great drive is a great drive only while you're driving, but ugly is
> forever.
>
> - GRL

Pshaa! When most people are concerned about these cars' supposed
"ugliness", what they are really concerned about is what other people
will think about the car when they drive by in it.

I, on the other hand, never actually drive my cars. I just go out to
the garage and look at them, so their beautiful design is of utmost
importance to me... (not!!) ;-)

-Fred W
Old December 3rd 04, 05:29 PM
LIW

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> GRL wrote:
> > It may drive great and you can't tell how ugly it may be from inside,

but
> > remember, every time that you go to drive it you're going to have to

look at
> > it before you get inside.
> >
> > A great drive is a great drive only while you're driving, but ugly is
> > forever.
> >
> > - GRL

> Pshaa! When most people are concerned about these cars' supposed
> "ugliness", what they are really concerned about is what other people
> will think about the car when they drive by in it.
>
> I, on the other hand, never actually drive my cars. I just go out to
> the garage and look at them, so their beautiful design is of utmost
> importance to me... (not!!) ;-)
>
> -Fred W

Different strokes for different folks. I really enjoy the fact that my
silver S8 is very reserved looking, and stealthy. Once insde, particularly
at night when the white indicators spin up the red surrounds, it feels like
piloting a low flying jet. I think it is a combination of looks and feel,
and sound.

When I had my Viper it was more "instant celebrity" than in my current
Vette, but if I were going to go sit in the garage and just stare at a
machine, it would have to be a 12 cylinder Ferrari.

I still say, buy a used S8 for the price of either of the cars being
considered, and have it all!!

Old December 4th 04, 05:42 PM
Charlie Giannetto

In article >,
E.R. > wrote:
>In a previous posting, (Charlie
>Giannetto) had the audacity to say:
>
>: Although I haven't taken mine up past that value, the limiter on the
>:US S4 is on paper only
>
><Japanese voice>
>
>Ahh, rawsuit protection! ;}
>
></Japanese voice>
>
>not actually turned on in the ECU software),
>:according to some reputable sources on the AudiWorld forums. The car
>:should top out at or around 170 (assuming you had a place that you
>:could actually reach that speed).
>
>Are you sure it's not actually limited at all, assuming the
>source rumour is correct? 'Cause I believe even the (original)
>Euro spec cars have a 155 mph governor... which I personally
>don't think is outrageous[ly low], but clearly a small
>proportion of owners does.

I've read of people exploring the limits of the car on AudiWorld,
although I have no first hand experience. I believe that the limiter
value is indeed set to 155 in the ECU but the limiter flag itself is
actually set to false, which disables the function. The lack of a
speed limiter isn't really an issue since the speed (even at 155)
is still well beyond any legally acceptable level on any public road
in the US. 155 is something that the European community has agreed
on I believe so I'm not sure the fact that it might not be implemented
on a US spec car would be all that significant.

If you would like to look into this further, I suggest going to the
AudiWorld.com or B6S4.com web sites and searching for information on
"speed limiter" or "governor".

- Charlie
04 S4 MT6

Old December 6th 04, 06:34 AM
+ Rob +

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> GRL wrote:
> > It may drive great and you can't tell how ugly it may be from inside,

but
> > remember, every time that you go to drive it you're going to have to

look at
> > it before you get inside.
> >
> > A great drive is a great drive only while you're driving, but ugly is
> > forever.
> >
> > - GRL

> Pshaa! When most people are concerned about these cars' supposed
> "ugliness", what they are really concerned about is what other people
> will think about the car when they drive by in it.

Vanity isn't the only reason why people criticize the aesthetics of
these cars. Many people criticize these designs because they expect a lofty
$50k car to encompass more than just great function; they expect beautiful
form as well. And they -- or should I say we -- feel that many of both BMW's
and Audi's latest designs have taken a step backward in that regard.

Rob
2002 A4 3.0Q
2005 TT 3.2 DSG

Old December 6th 04, 08:11 AM
Steve Grauman

>what they are really concerned about is what other people
>> will think about the car when they drive by in it.

BMW's yealry sales in North America are built almost entirely on the brand's
image. Break 1,000 BMW owners into groups of 10 and I bet that 9 out of every
10 of them will tell you that brand image helped sell them on the car. Audi
lacks the image and recognition of BMW and that's a big part of why they can't
sell as many cars. It also doesn't help that the average Audi (S and RS models
aside) can't hold a candle to the capabiltities of the average BMW. The A4 and
A6 simply cannot match the overall dynamics of the 3 and 5-series models.
Steve Grauman
Old December 6th 04, 10:43 AM
+ Rob +

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> >what they are really concerned about is what other people
> >> will think about the car when they drive by in it.

> BMW's yealry sales in North America are built almost entirely on the

brand's
> image. Break 1,000 BMW owners into groups of 10 and I bet that 9 out of

every
> 10 of them will tell you that brand image helped sell them on the car.

Audi
> lacks the image and recognition of BMW and that's a big part of why they

can't
> sell as many cars. It also doesn't help that the average Audi (S and RS

models
> aside) can't hold a candle to the capabiltities of the average BMW. The A4

and
> A6 simply cannot match the overall dynamics of the 3 and 5-series models.

I don't disagree with you. 9 of 10 car buyers of ALL brands are likely
influenced by brand imagery to some extent -- whether it be "youthful
hipness" (Scion), "practicality" (Honda), "staid sophistication" (Mercedes),
or what have you. But that isn't to say that design doesn't count, or that
aesthetics are somehow above criticism.
Just look at Cadillac. At one time Cadillacs were considered by many to
be the very best that the automotive world had to offer -- the best
sheetmetal, the best drivetrains, the most luxurious interiors, etc. (hence
the phrase, "it's the Cadillac of......"). But then, gradually (while many
loyalists/apologists surely continued defending them), the design elements
slid downhill to a point where a large segment of the public no longer liked
the cars. So consumers were left to make a choice: do I buy a "legendary"
brand that I no longer like, or do I buy something less legendary that
appeals more to my senses? And the historical numbers clearly point that
most potential buyers eventually chose the second option. However --
surprise surprise! -- as soon as Cadillac introduced a crop of new designs
that people liked (Escalade, CTS, etc.), sales came back with a vengeance.
Do I think that means that BMW's are going to slide the way Cadillac's
did during the 70's and 80's? Not necessarily. But history shows (via
Cadillac, Nissan, Mazda, Chrysler and dozens of once stylish, but now
defunct brands) that ignoring consumers' wants/tastes and relying instead on
imagery to sell cars is not a viable long-term recipe for success.

Rob

2005 S4 Cab Flyboy Audi 0 November 23rd 04 08:35 PM
Help - 17" wheel size (offset) for 2005 S4 Cabriolet Rsmzi Nassar Audi 5 October 3rd 04 03:47 PM
Help - 17" wheel size (offset) for 2005 S4 Cabriolet Rsmzi Nassar Audi 0 October 3rd 04 02:16 PM
Help - 17" wheel size (offset) for 2005 S4 Cabriolet Rsmzi Nassar Audi 0 October 3rd 04 02:15 PM
2005 S4 Cabriolet Newbie Ramzi Nassar Audi 4 August 7th 04 10:35 PM