Driving with disconnected ISV?

Old October 26th 04, 08:15 PM
Yvan

Nedavno Steve Sears pise:

| The system in the 1987 Audi 5000 Turbo/200 used a deceleration valve,
| the failure of which could result in the engine stalling (it cuts the
| fuel delivery off to the engine when the car decelerates, thus
| reducing fuel consumption) - but that is for the fuel system, which
| your LPG system is not using.

Yes, but from:

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...sys.html#decel

"These valves have been known to stick open and then not shut when the
RPM drops below 1200 which causes the big vacuum leak and the stalling"

So if deceleration valve is not completely stick, but slow in response
(close to sticking, but still works) I would have vacuum leak. I do not
knew if this is possible.

| There's a Russian web site that has all
| the parts diagrams

Yes, I knew, I found it some time ago, its:

http://www.elcats.ru/audivw/nn/

I was searching there and on page:

http://www.elcats.ru/audivw/nn/vag4....1988&cyl=&vol=

when you click on nine-th item from the top, and then on the button
below the picture on the left, (NF engine) there is no decel valve. But
if you click on the eighth item from the top and then on the button
below the picture on the left, (MC engine) there is one. So it seems
that I do not have one.

What about EGR valve? Where is it? I can not find it either on Russian
site. Do I have it? Can that be the problem?

| I think you should give all of the
| intake hoses a real close check for cracks or leaks - also in the
| connections between the LPG system and the car's original system hoses
| - the underside of the intake hoses rots out first due to oil from the
| crankcase recirculation (and turbo leaks). When the car is idling,
| the intake is under a vacuum and may cause an intermittent leak in a
| broken hose - changing the fuel/LPG mixture and thus the idle.

I already checked intake hoses. Only breather hose was broken, and I
replaced it.

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Old October 27th 04, 03:51 PM
Steve Sears

Yvan,
I think that the oxygen sensor and the catalytic converter led to the demise
of the EGR valve - my 1980 5k (WD-code engine) has one (and no OXS or cat.
converter), but my 1987 5ktq (MC-code engine) does not.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old October 27th 04, 07:11 PM
Yvan

Nedavno Steve Sears piše:

| I think that the oxygen sensor and the catalytic converter led to the
| demise of the EGR valve - my 1980 5k (WD-code engine) has one (and no
| OXS or cat. converter), but my 1987 5ktq (MC-code engine) does not.

Thanks for all your help. I will check once again all the vacuum hoses,
maybe replace some of them will ones for fuel or radiator hoses be good?
If nothing gets better I'll have admit defeat and go to mechanic :-(

--
___ ____
Old October 27th 04, 08:33 PM
Steve Sears

Yvan,
Someone on Audifans wrote that using an _UNLIT_ propane torch (with the car
outside in a well ventilated area, etc. etc.), you could find intermittent
vacuum leaks by flowing the stream of propane gas over the intake hoses with
the engine running. If the engine rpm raised with the torch tip near a hose
or connector, there would be a good chance there was a leak in that area.
I've never done that test, and of course you know that propane can burn and
blow stuff up, but it's a test others have used successfully.
No probs on the help.

Old October 27th 04, 09:54 PM
Yvan

Nedavno Steve Sears pise:

| Someone on Audifans wrote that using an _UNLIT_ propane torch (with
| the car outside in a well ventilated area, etc. etc.), you could find
| intermittent vacuum leaks by flowing the stream of propane gas over
| the intake hoses with the engine running. If the engine rpm raised
| with the torch tip near a hose or connector, there would be a good
| chance there was a leak in that area. I've never done that test, and
| of course you know that propane can burn and blow stuff up, but it's a
| test others have used successfully. No probs on the help.

Thanks again for all your help.

--
___ ____
Old October 27th 04, 09:55 PM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Steve Sears wrote:

>I've never done that test, and of course you know that propane can burn and
>blow stuff up, but it's a test others have used successfully.

Can't one just use startpilot? Startpilot is a spray which is useful
for carburator engines if they don't want to start. Spray it into the
air intake during turning of the engine. I suppose it's alcohol or
ethane.

Should provide the same result as it's made for that purpose, but it
could possibly be a bit safer than propane.

Don't know, however, what the english brandname is.

Regards

Wolfgang

--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI
Old October 28th 04, 02:11 PM
Steve Sears

Wolfgang,
That sounds like the "Quickstart" that my dad used to use to get the old '68
Dodge Monaco going on cold mornings - it's ether. I've also heard of using
WD40. The propane method sounds good because you're not waiting for the
last spot you sprayed to dry up before you move on to check a different
hose.

Old October 29th 04, 03:07 PM
Yvan

Nedavno Steve Sears pise:

| Wolfgang,
| That sounds like the "Quickstart" that my dad used to use to get the
| old '68 Dodge Monaco going on cold mornings - it's ether. I've also
| heard of using WD40. The propane method sounds good because you're
| not waiting for the last spot you sprayed to dry up before you move on
| to check a different hose.

It sounds dangerous to me. If I have bad spark plug wire, or exhaust is
leaking, I cold burn car or myself :-)

--
___ ____
Old November 3rd 04, 09:59 PM
Yvan

Nedavno Steve Sears pise:

| The propane method sounds good because you're
| not waiting for the last spot you sprayed to dry up before you move on
| to check a different hose.

Does my (5 cyl, 2.3 NF normally aspirated) engine have PCV (positive
crankshaft ventilation) valve? If it does, where is it? I'd like to
check it.

--
___ ____
Old November 4th 04, 02:59 PM
Steve Sears

Yvan,
No, I don't believe that it has a valve, but it should have a vent hose that
collapses over time.

driving on flat tyre ? NC Alfa Romeo 4 January 7th 05 12:23 PM
Driving the Spider Dr Entropy Alfa Romeo 0 July 19th 04 07:26 AM
Headlight mods for driving abroad Toby Groves Audi 0 June 10th 04 11:01 PM
Cost of repair Audi BMW Saab...(crossposting) dizzy Audi 44 May 23rd 04 09:58 PM
Audi A4 TV module - view whilst driving? Russell Fray Audi 7 May 14th 04 08:32 PM