Timing belt change - 1996 Audi A6 (2.6 litre V6) - what's involved?

Old September 8th 04, 06:07 AM
John Prendergast

Default Timing belt change - 1996 Audi A6 (2.6 litre V6) - what's involved?

Having just bought one of these, I need to get the timing belt
replaced soonish. Can anyone give me an idea of what's involved and
the difficulty level? I've changed belts on the Audi 100 5-cylinder
engines but this is totally different.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 9th 04, 04:19 AM
Tony

Yeah, I've done a few 5 cyl TBs on my T44s too.

Also helped my son change the TB on his 98 A4 2.8 30V.

If it is the same as the 30V you will need the special tool that locks together
the cam pulleys to keep them in sync. Another special tool is a hardened bolt
and pin that locks the crankshaft in place.

Parts: Water pump, TB tensioner pulley and Cam pulley seals are also a good idea
because they are sometimes leakers.

It is quite a tight fit to get the job done. The whole front clip can be removed
and rotated out of the way but I am not sure how to accomplish that.

Relaxing 12 plus job : ) for a first time.

Old September 9th 04, 08:28 AM
John Prendergast

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:19:54 -0500, Tony >
wrote:

>Yeah, I've done a few 5 cyl TBs on my T44s too.
>
>Also helped my son change the TB on his 98 A4 2.8 30V.
>
>If it is the same as the 30V you will need the special tool that locks together
>the cam pulleys to keep them in sync. Another special tool is a hardened bolt
>and pin that locks the crankshaft in place.
>
>Parts: Water pump, TB tensioner pulley and Cam pulley seals are also a good idea
>because they are sometimes leakers.
>
>It is quite a tight fit to get the job done. The whole front clip can be removed
>and rotated out of the way but I am not sure how to accomplish that.
>
>Relaxing 12 plus job : ) for a first time.

Thanks for the hints. Is that 12 plus hours?

Timing belt on 1996 2.8 Wayne Mak Audi 6 September 6th 04 02:38 PM
Timing Belt Change Simon Audi 10 August 26th 04 04:52 AM
Cambelt change info for Audi V6 Richard Goulding Audi 0 July 21st 04 11:22 PM
Cam belt break down on A4 - DON'T BUY AUDI ANYMORE !!! John Smith Audi 5 July 21st 04 11:02 PM