Need Fuel Injector Cleaner Recommendation

Old February 23rd 08, 12:42 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Stephen Gertsch

Default Need Fuel Injector Cleaner Recommendation

Vehicle: Dodge Caravan 1994, 3.0 liter, 103K miles.

Car is a little sluggish at low speed <35 mph. Runs ("feels") fine at
freeway speed with good gas mileage (24 MPG). Suspect injectors are a gummed
up and the fuel is not atomizing as well as it should be. (Note: plugs,
wires, dist. cap and rotor just replaced.)

Does anyone have any opinion about the effectivity of gas additives that are
designed to clean fuel injectors?
What brand (active ingredient) is best.?
How long (tanks of gas) does it take?

Old February 23rd 08, 05:45 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ripcord

Since you have not used gas additives from the begining I would not start
now. Let me tell you a little story.

One day my wife decides to use add gas treatment to her 96 Caravan. It may
have seem like a good idea but not to soon after I had to change the fuel
pump and filter($150 fuel pump). Now I did not know she was doing this and
even continued after the pump was replaced. About a month later I found
myself replacing the fuel pump again(Autozone warranty). First I thought it
was where she was buying her fuel and I asked her what she was doing
different and she told me about the fuel additive. I told her to please stop
and she did but the van started running sluggish and missing. I ended up
removing the fuel injectors and cleaning the crud that had gotten pass the
filter.

To make a long story short, I cleaned the fuel injectors 2 more times and
replaced the fuel pump and filter yet again before this crud was out of the
system. The fuel additive broke up the sediment in the bottom of the tank
into very fine particles and played hell with the fuel system.

et...