95 caravan engine shakes from side to side

Old November 1st 07, 03:26 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default 95 caravan engine shakes from side to side

Dear all,

Here is my story:

I have a 95 caravan with 3.0L and 3 Sp. transmision wiht 145km.

>From day one, for 5 months, I had a grinding sound when I accelerate

from stops, and I think It comes from transmission/differential box.
It might be related to the problem but I do not know. I checked the
hub and bearings and they are ok.

2 weeks ago, driver side CV started to act up. It stuck at different
positions, however the boots are good. I changed it. After 50 miles,
my car started to shake at 30 mph under load very badly. If you pass
30 mph point, even at 70 it does not shake if you dont put car under
heavy load. I do not feel any shaking on steering wheel but whole car
shakes, swings. I raised the car and watch which part shakes. It was
engine going from left to right, like 1 to 2 inches.

I took the half shaft out put a new one it. Now it does not shake that
badly but I just put on 10 miles yet. It might show up later.

My questions, does the differential box on transmission might be the
reason for this thing?

I donot know any parts that will make the engine or transmission swing
wildly from left to right. Any rotating parts should make the engine
swing from back to front, or up down.

Can i change differential on this cars without removing transmission
from the car.

Thanks for the inputs.

Old November 1st 07, 07:10 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ripcord

Check the motor mounts. They are the only thing that keep the engine from
moving to much.
ups.com...

Old November 1st 07, 09:26 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Dear all,
>
> Here is my story:
>
> I have a 95 caravan with 3.0L and 3 Sp. transmision wiht 145km.
>
> >From day one, for 5 months, I had a grinding sound when I accelerate

> from stops, and I think It comes from transmission/differential box.
> It might be related to the problem but I do not know. I checked the
> hub and bearings and they are ok.
>
> 2 weeks ago, driver side CV started to act up. It stuck at different
> positions, however the boots are good. I changed it. After 50 miles,
> my car started to shake at 30 mph under load very badly. If you pass
> 30 mph point, even at 70 it does not shake if you dont put car under
> heavy load. I do not feel any shaking on steering wheel but whole car
> shakes, swings. I raised the car and watch which part shakes. It was
> engine going from left to right, like 1 to 2 inches.
>
> I took the half shaft out put a new one it. Now it does not shake that
> badly but I just put on 10 miles yet. It might show up later.
>
> My questions, does the differential box on transmission might be the
> reason for this thing?
>
> I donot know any parts that will make the engine or transmission swing
> wildly from left to right. Any rotating parts should make the engine
> swing from back to front, or up down.
>
> Can i change differential on this cars without removing transmission
> from the car.
>
> Thanks for the inputs.

When the inner housing/tripod wears out especially on the passenger side the
vehicle will shake under a load. By pulling back the boot on the inner
housing and inspecting it for a rusty mud looking grease normally pinpoints
the problem. A tire with a bad cord will cause this same problem, have you
rotated tires?

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old November 2nd 07, 12:05 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 13:10:27 -0500, "Ripcord" > wrote:

>Check the motor mounts. They are the only thing that keep the engine from
>moving to much.
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Here is my story:
>>
>> I have a 95 caravan with 3.0L and 3 Sp. transmision wiht 145km.
>>
>>>From day one, for 5 months, I had a grinding sound when I accelerate

>> from stops, and I think It comes from transmission/differential box.
>> It might be related to the problem but I do not know. I checked the
>> hub and bearings and they are ok.
>>
>> 2 weeks ago, driver side CV started to act up. It stuck at different
>> positions, however the boots are good. I changed it. After 50 miles,
>> my car started to shake at 30 mph under load very badly. If you pass
>> 30 mph point, even at 70 it does not shake if you dont put car under
>> heavy load. I do not feel any shaking on steering wheel but whole car
>> shakes, swings. I raised the car and watch which part shakes. It was
>> engine going from left to right, like 1 to 2 inches.
>>
>> I took the half shaft out put a new one it. Now it does not shake that
>> badly but I just put on 10 miles yet. It might show up later.
>>
>> My questions, does the differential box on transmission might be the
>> reason for this thing?
>>
>> I donot know any parts that will make the engine or transmission swing
>> wildly from left to right. Any rotating parts should make the engine
>> swing from back to front, or up down.
>>
>> Can i change differential on this cars without removing transmission
>> from the car.
>>
>> Thanks for the inputs.

Bad inner joint will cause this. Have you put in a NEW joint (axle) or
just a "different " one?

Old November 3rd 07, 08:43 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

hello all,

What i did so far,

Both of the CV joints, that i put in on driver side, are
remanufactured from autozone. After the second CV joint, now I dont
get anymore shaking, at least not as bad. I still get the grinding
sound but I donot know where it is coming from.

I checked the motor mounts and they are all look good. only one of
them as surface cracks and that's all. they are not serious, just on
surface.

I rotated tires nearly 10kmile before when i change pads. They look
visually good. however I know there is a minor problem with them
something like balance, but this is not the problem i talked about
before.

I will look at the passenger inner joint soon. tommorrow, I'm heading
to a junkyard tosee what the differential look like.

Thanks for the input guys, I will update you.

Old November 3rd 07, 10:21 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> hello all,
>
> What i did so far,
>
> Both of the CV joints, that i put in on driver side, are
> remanufactured from autozone. After the second CV joint, now I dont
> get anymore shaking, at least not as bad. I still get the grinding
> sound but I donot know where it is coming from.
>
> I checked the motor mounts and they are all look good. only one of
> them as surface cracks and that's all. they are not serious, just on
> surface.
>
> I rotated tires nearly 10kmile before when i change pads. They look
> visually good. however I know there is a minor problem with them
> something like balance, but this is not the problem i talked about
> before.
>
> I will look at the passenger inner joint soon. tommorrow, I'm heading
> to a junkyard tosee what the differential look like.
>
> Thanks for the input guys, I will update you.

Stay away from cheap parts!!!
Glenn

Old November 4th 07, 02:53 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 12:43:51 -0700, wrote:

>hello all,
>
>What i did so far,
>
>Both of the CV joints, that i put in on driver side, are
>remanufactured from autozone. After the second CV joint, now I dont
>get anymore shaking, at least not as bad. I still get the grinding
>sound but I donot know where it is coming from.
>
>I checked the motor mounts and they are all look good. only one of
>them as surface cracks and that's all. they are not serious, just on
>surface.
>
>I rotated tires nearly 10kmile before when i change pads. They look
>visually good. however I know there is a minor problem with them
>something like balance, but this is not the problem i talked about
>before.
>
>I will look at the passenger inner joint soon. tommorrow, I'm heading
>to a junkyard tosee what the differential look like.
>
>Thanks for the input guys, I will update you.

The differential is inside the tranny case. When mine let go (1988 New
Yorker - same tranny) junk got into the valve body from the diff
bearing damage. I had to replace the whole tranny (and there was
little if any noise from the diff) Can't remember exactly, but
somewhere around 200,000km. I got (VERY) lucky and picked up a very
low mileage tranny for $300. Most wreckers were asking $800 for
trannies with 200,000km on them.