Oil and Leaks

Old August 30th 07, 01:57 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
. . . /\\/\\ i k e

Default Oil and Leaks

Can someone tell me what oil might have been factory delivered with my '99
A6, and what the dealer would be using during regular changes?

I've posted here before concerning taking my car to an independent.

Granted, its 8 years old, but...

Up until 8 months ago, its only had dealer oil changes.
8 months ago, it went to the independent, and, among other things, had an
oil change. No leaks or anything reported. They used Mobil 1.

Now, after running for 8 months, I brought it in for another oil change.
This time they told me that the belly pan had lots of oil on it anf that I
had leaks from the cam shaft seals. Stopping the leaks could be done for
just under $1000 they thought, by replacing valve cover gaskets, cam shaft
seals, ... . Its in the shop now, and I've opted to not go for the $1000
at this point.

Any thoughts?
I guess additives are out of the question - will Mobil1 high mileage help?

Thanks...
....Mike

thanks...

Old August 30th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Daniels

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:57:26 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled ". . . /\\/\\ i k e" >, to say:

> Now, after running for 8 months, I brought it in for another oil change.
> This time they told me that the belly pan had lots of oil on it anf that I
> had leaks from the cam shaft seals. Stopping the leaks could be done for
> just under $1000 they thought, by replacing valve cover gaskets, cam shaft
> seals, ... . Its in the shop now, and I've opted to not go for the $1000
> at this point.

Could you get your timing belt and water pump replaced at the
same time?

--
Life is too short to play cheap guitars.
Old August 30th 07, 05:14 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
. . . /\\/\\ i k e

Well . . .

I actually had the timing belt, etc done at 75K by the dealer ( that 25K
miles ago).

Thanks...

....Mike

Old August 30th 07, 10:31 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Daniels

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:14:48 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled ". . . /\\/\\ i k e" >, to say:

> Well . . .
>
> I actually had the timing belt, etc done at 75K by the dealer ( that 25K
> miles ago).

Oh well. It was a thought.
--

Life is too short to play cheap guitars.
Old August 31st 07, 02:07 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
iws

". . . /\/\ i k e" > wrote in message
> Can someone tell me what oil might have been factory delivered with my '99
> A6, and what the dealer would be using during regular changes?
>
> I've posted here before concerning taking my car to an independent.
>
> Granted, its 8 years old, but...
>
> Up until 8 months ago, its only had dealer oil changes.
> 8 months ago, it went to the independent, and, among other things, had an
> oil change. No leaks or anything reported. They used Mobil 1.
>
> Now, after running for 8 months, I brought it in for another oil change.
> This time they told me that the belly pan had lots of oil on it anf that I
> had leaks from the cam shaft seals. Stopping the leaks could be done for
> just under $1000 they thought, by replacing valve cover gaskets, cam shaft
> seals, ... . Its in the shop now, and I've opted to not go for the
> $1000 at this point.
>

> Any thoughts?
> I guess additives are out of the question - will Mobil1 high mileage help?

Well, it doesn't really cost you anything to try. I've been using 10W-30
Valvoline Maxlife synthetic for engines over 75000 miles in my '98 A4 2.8q
and it appears to have reduced my oil consumption from 1200/qt to 2000/qt.
If your leaks are fairly recent developments, I'd try the high mileage oil
and see what happens. These oil leaks are more nuisance than anything but be
sure to check your oil level every thousand miles or so to prevent it from
getting too low.

Old August 31st 07, 09:42 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
John Smith[_7_]

.. . . /\/\ i k e wrote:
> Can someone tell me what oil might have been factory delivered with my '99
> A6, and what the dealer would be using during regular changes?
>
> I've posted here before concerning taking my car to an independent.
>
> Granted, its 8 years old, but...
>
> Up until 8 months ago, its only had dealer oil changes.
> 8 months ago, it went to the independent, and, among other things, had an
> oil change. No leaks or anything reported. They used Mobil 1.
>
> Now, after running for 8 months, I brought it in for another oil change.
> This time they told me that the belly pan had lots of oil on it anf that I
> had leaks from the cam shaft seals. Stopping the leaks could be done for
> just under $1000 they thought, by replacing valve cover gaskets, cam shaft
> seals, ... . Its in the shop now, and I've opted to not go for the $1000
> at this point.
>

> Any thoughts?
> I guess additives are out of the question - will Mobil1 high mileage help?
>
> Thanks...
> ...Mike
>
> thanks...

Hey Mike

Sounds like the synthetic has cleaned all the crud deposited by the non
syn oil which has until now been covering leaks. This is typical when
you change from normal to syn oil after a wperiod such as 8 years -
ignorant people will tell you the oil is causing the leaks however it is
actually cleaning your engine from the gunk that was "plugging the
holes". Would suggest you replace those seals and keep using the
synthetic oil and it shouldn't leak again. Your engine will also now
last a lot longer, run cooler, and you may be able to extend the changes
using the syn oil. I have a Volvo, 10 years old (with HP turbo)and have
used synthetic oil since 10,000k. My mechanic tells me there is minimal
wear and is incredibly clean. There are no leaks as the seals have
"adjusted". I change my oil every 15k or 12 months, whichever is first

Good luck
Old October 8th 07, 07:57 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
90kchevycamaro

Were you using Mobil1 synthetic oil? I had the exact problem. Up until
summer of 2005 the orginal owners had my 98 a6 serviced at the audi
dealer. When I got the car (summer or 2006) I had my first oil change done
at a chrysler dealer with mobil1 synpower oil and a mobil1 air filter. At
the beginning of the year I noticed a burning smell and took the car into
a VW dealer. I had the cam seals replaced for $1200 (what a rip off). The
car to this day smells like its burning after driving it for a little bit,
and I have taken it back to the VW dealer and they said it is not burning,
nor does it smell like it is. And now about a month ago my oil pressure
light came on after 4,000 miles between an oil change. The recommended is
5,000 miles in between. I believe this car is a money pit. I will be
getting rid of it as soon as I can afford a new vehicle. It is now in the
shop with a torn cv boot and broken window regulator.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.audi/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Leaks nichdl1 BMW 1 May 25th 06 08:21 PM
window leaks jeepney driver Jeep 0 January 20th 06 09:17 PM
gas guzzling and no leaks [email protected] Technology 0 February 1st 05 06:06 PM
gas guzzling and no leaks [email protected] Technology 0 February 1st 05 05:03 PM
Oil Change:::Now it leaks EggRaid BMW 4 January 4th 05 02:00 AM