A4 Headlights

Old November 29th 04, 07:02 AM

Default A4 Headlights

your bilbs probably blow due to the fact you touch the glass when fitting,
natural oils in your skin cause hot spots on bulbs meaning the gas inside
burns alot quicker than it should
Old December 5th 04, 04:33 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

<<<<DAFTY>><<DUCK>>> coughed up:
> your bilbs probably blow due to the fact you touch the glass when
> fitting, natural oils in your skin cause hot spots on bulbs meaning
> the gas inside burns alot quicker than it should

I have no idea what this is in reference to, so please keep at least some
context along with attributions in your posts.

2ndly, if this is in reference to a4 bulbs going out prematurely then your
advice is almost certainly /NOT/ going to help. This is a known /very
common/ problem with the a4's that I have been tracking/experimenting with.
You don't seem to have this problem, but two things about this:

1. replace the bulbs together. Keep the "survivor" bulb, but make sure that
when one goes out you replace them both with new bulbs.

2. I'm currently experimenting with my a4 which has two survivor bulbs. As
I said elsewhere, I'll be sure to report back.

--
"I don't want FOP, God dammit! I'm a DAPPER DAN MAN!"

Old December 6th 04, 12:07 AM
KLS

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:33:30 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com> wrote:

>2ndly, if this is in reference to a4 bulbs going out prematurely then your
>advice is almost certainly /NOT/ going to help. This is a known /very
>common/ problem with the a4's that I have been tracking/experimenting with.
>You don't seem to have this problem, but two things about this:
>
>1. replace the bulbs together. Keep the "survivor" bulb, but make sure that
>when one goes out you replace them both with new bulbs.

I have *NEVER* taken this approach with my 98.5 A4 and have replaced
both headlights and one front turn signal light, each one at a time.
The first headlight went out 1.5 yrs ago, the second about 6 months
ago, the turn signal bulb a couple of months ago. I replaced each one
only, not in pairs, and I wore gloves in the process. So far, no
problems.
Old December 8th 04, 01:22 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

KLS coughed up:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:33:30 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
> . com> wrote:
>
>> 2ndly, if this is in reference to a4 bulbs going out prematurely
>> then your advice is almost certainly /NOT/ going to help. This is a
>> known /very common/ problem with the a4's that I have been
>> tracking/experimenting with. You don't seem to have this problem,
>> but two things about this:
>>
>> 1. replace the bulbs together. Keep the "survivor" bulb, but make
>> sure that when one goes out you replace them both with new bulbs.

> I have *NEVER* taken this approach with my 98.5 A4 and have replaced
> both headlights and one front turn signal light, each one at a time.
> The first headlight went out 1.5 yrs ago, the second about 6 months
> ago, the turn signal bulb a couple of months ago. I replaced each one
> only, not in pairs, and I wore gloves in the process. So far, no
> problems.

Ok, but again, that is to the side. That you have a car that does not
exhibit the behavior I'm talking about does not mean that it is because you
wear gloves.

I /always/ take extreme care anything glass that is supposed to get
monstrously hot. And this happens every time.

*FURTHERMORE*, back when I had the dealership replacing these things under
warranty, I was back all the time for a single bulb change. One time I
stayed a cyclops for a long time, only out of laziness, and then my car lost
the other as well. When I went to the dealership (still under warranty),
the two bulbs lasted a much much longer time. When one died, and I replaced
it, I was back to the ping-pong often-replacing of bulbs.

The notion of replacing them two at a time came as a suggestion from this
website. I have verified that it works (as have others), and am
experimenting with dual survivors.

--
With knowledge comes sorrow.

Old December 12th 04, 06:43 PM
KWS

I was getting a year of service out of the headlights on my 2000 A4,
changing them one at a time. Usually, the second one would go within a month
of the first.

Two years ago, I changed both at the same time and haven't had to do so
since. I am an electrical engineer and, frankly, I consider this a
coincidence. Unless, of course, either I or someone else can come up with an
explanation that makes logical sense.

Ken

Old December 12th 04, 08:35 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

KWS coughed up:

> "Thomas G. Marshall"
> . com> wrote in
> message news:jPrtd.3799$x26.2588@trndny03...

....[rip]...

>> The notion of replacing them two at a time came as a suggestion from
>> this website. I have verified that it works (as have others), and am
>> experimenting with dual survivors.

> I was getting a year of service out of the headlights on my 2000 A4,
> changing them one at a time. Usually, the second one would go within
> a month of the first.
>
> Two years ago, I changed both at the same time and haven't had to do
> so since. I am an electrical engineer and, frankly, I consider this a
> coincidence. Unless, of course, either I or someone else can come up
> with an explanation that makes logical sense.

Do *NOT* top post once others have bottom posted. It makes a freaking mess
and is impossible to properly rely to!

I feel your confusion in this matter. No one here, many with very learned
backgrounds, has offered up a satisfactory answer to this.

IRONICALLY, my brother worked for a car headlight division of sylvania. He
told me of how xenon's are peculiar in that they require circuitry to
radically ramp down the current to the bulbs since they are very much more
reverse-resistive than halogens when they warm up. They literally
accelerate out of control. I hope I got that right----I'm a software guy.

Point being, perhaps there is similar circuitry within the audi computer
system that is getting "fooled" by the lack of a bulb.

And *HE* doesn't understand what's going on here. It /cannot/ be at the
bulb level since each headlight is required by the DOT to be on a separate
circuit. Otherwise, one blown fuse would result in total blindness----not
great at 90 mph.

Perhaps they are on enough of the same circuit so that there is an increase
in voltage or current once one bulb blows. Similar to how Christmas tree
light companies warn against having too few bulbs working. The rest blow
quickly. So perhaps it's having just one bulb with excess current that is
burning the things out, even if the car is a cyclops for only a day.

*In any case*, I recommend you keep your survivor bulbs and try life with
two survivors.

--
Iamamanofconstantsorrow,I'veseentroubleallmydays.I bidfarewelltoold
Kentucky,TheplacewhereIwasbornandraised.Forsixlong yearsI'vebeenin

Old December 13th 04, 01:51 PM
Peter Bell

In message <Q31vd.3598$eO5.3489@trndny08> "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com> wrote:

> Similar to how Christmas tree light companies warn against having too
> few bulbs working. The rest blow quickly.

Surely the problem with Christmas tree lights is thet the bulbs are
wired in series. In the olden days, as soon as one filament burn out,
the whole chain goes open circuit and all the lights go out.

The bulb manufacturers came up with a cunning ruse (probably designed to
sell more bulbs). Now when a filament goes, the bulb automatically goes
short circuit, increasing the voltage (and hence, current) on all other
bulbs. Now all of those bulbs are under greater stress, so the next
weak one burns out .........

Of course, each set of bulbs should include one 'fuse' bulb (identified
by a blob of white paint on the end) - effectively an ordinary bulb
which doesn't have the 'short circuit' feature, but this requirement is
not always adhered to.

Old December 13th 04, 04:52 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Peter Bell coughed up:
> In message <Q31vd.3598$eO5.3489@trndny08> "Thomas G. Marshall"
> . com> wrote:
>
>> Similar to how Christmas tree light companies warn against having too
>> few bulbs working. The rest blow quickly.

> Surely the problem with Christmas tree lights is thet the bulbs are
> wired in series. In the olden days, as soon as one filament burn out,
> the whole chain goes open circuit and all the lights go out.
>
> The bulb manufacturers came up with a cunning ruse (probably designed
> to sell more bulbs). Now when a filament goes, the bulb
> automatically goes short circuit, increasing the voltage (and hence,
> current) on all other bulbs. Now all of those bulbs are under
> greater stress, so the next weak one burns out .........
>
> Of course, each set of bulbs should include one 'fuse' bulb
> (identified by a blob of white paint on the end) - effectively an
> ordinary bulb which doesn't have the 'short circuit' feature, but
> this requirement is not always adhered to.

The filiment is usually above an anti-fuse that heats up once the voltage
increases (because of the broken filiment) and fuses closed. Ironically, I
just read all about this.

The fuse bulb is no longer neccessary. Even the cheapest light sets I've
seen have plugs with a special compartment for a couple of dinky Christmas
tree light fuses.

--
"It eats you starting with your bottom". Botched
translation of the demonic warning "From beneath, it

Old December 14th 04, 04:27 AM
AustinMini.OsiTech.Net

You Guys need to get out more - lol.

--
http://austinmini.ositech.net

Old December 14th 04, 06:05 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

AustinMini.OsiTech.Net coughed up:

> You Guys need to get out more - lol.

True of anyone in usenet posting more than once, say, a month.

--
"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
-Thufir Hawat, Mentat and Master of Assassins to House Atreides