Quattro Fuel tanks

Old June 8th 06, 01:35 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Quattro Fuel tanks

"Ronny" > wrote:

>It's just plain wrong isn't it

Nah, we need prices like that in the USA to reduce the numbers of huge
fatmobiles hauling single persons around at 9 MPG.
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
Old June 8th 06, 01:47 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

On 2006-06-08, Doug Warner > wrote:
> Nah, we need prices like that in the USA to reduce the numbers of huge
> fatmobiles hauling single persons around at 9 MPG.

Raisign the price won't stop as many people driving as you think.
What will reduce consumption is increase efficiency, alternative fuels
and hybrid technology. There are other things too but you get my drift

Old June 8th 06, 09:50 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Av" > wrote in message
> On 2006-06-08, Doug Warner > wrote:
>> Nah, we need prices like that in the USA to reduce the numbers of huge
>> fatmobiles hauling single persons around at 9 MPG.

> Raisign the price won't stop as many people driving as you think.
> What will reduce consumption is increase efficiency, alternative fuels
> and hybrid technology. There are other things too but you get my drift

Yeah. And bring back the railways, get those bloody lorries off the roads!

Old June 8th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

On 2006-06-08, Jim Pills > wrote:
> Yeah. And bring back the railways, get those bloody lorries off the
> roads!

Actually, fixing the public transport systems would do a LOT more to
reduce fuel consumption in the US.
There maybe, *maybe* two or three cities in the whole of the US which
have a public transport system that rivals London's.

When I lived in LA, it took me 3 hours to get almost anywhere in the
city / suburbs by public transport. It's almost non-existant in Atlanta.
Even in the bay area it's sketchy at best - buses and trains run, but
they don't have great coverage. San Francisco is somewhat OK but it's
not really a huge city.
Old June 18th 06, 05:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 17:01:29 +0100, Ronny wrote:

> I was recently curious as to how far my car would travel when the fuel guage
> and digi readout showed 0 miles left, I was concered after noticing the
> guage went down quite fast by putting in smaller amounts of fuel example
> £15.00 roughly 3 gallons.
>
> So I filled up and let the car bleep as it does at approx 60 miles left and
> the needle was approaching the red line and carried on driving, I had a can
> of fuel in the boot for safty sake and reset the mileometer when i hit 0 on
> the digi readout.
>
> This is where it gets interesting, normally I would expect a reserve of say
> 1 gallon max usually less from the point the needle shows red and the cars
> shows 0, but my car is still driving fine 90 miles later, I will let it get
> too 100 miles and see what happens, but was interested to hear from anyone
> with the quattro twin tank design on a B6 1.8T or 3.0 A4, mine is a 2002
> model.
>
> It seems the guage is not really faulty as it may be reading low fuel from
> one tank but the other tank is still supplying the fuel? I do not know...
>
> Any thought?
>
> BTW the guage and car are working perfect, and I am getting very healthy MPG
> 40mpg+ I was just curious.

I drive a '02 3.0 quattro 4 door. My system beeps at 30 miles left to go
and on my last long trip I was getting 28-29MPG at 70MPH. I don't think
you are getting 40+MPG unless you are running a TDI. I can only imagine
that your math is off unless that 60Mile and 40MPG are metric.

I have always wondered how far I could travel after the beep but have not
put it to the test.

--

Regards
Robert

Smile... it increases your face value!

Old June 18th 06, 07:16 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Robert" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 17:01:29 +0100, Ronny wrote:
>
>> I was recently curious as to how far my car would travel when the fuel
>> guage
>> and digi readout showed 0 miles left, I was concered after noticing the
>> guage went down quite fast by putting in smaller amounts of fuel example
>> £15.00 roughly 3 gallons.
>>
>> So I filled up and let the car bleep as it does at approx 60 miles left
>> and
>> the needle was approaching the red line and carried on driving, I had a
>> can
>> of fuel in the boot for safty sake and reset the mileometer when i hit 0
>> on
>> the digi readout.
>>
>> This is where it gets interesting, normally I would expect a reserve of
>> say
>> 1 gallon max usually less from the point the needle shows red and the
>> cars
>> shows 0, but my car is still driving fine 90 miles later, I will let it
>> get
>> too 100 miles and see what happens, but was interested to hear from
>> anyone
>> with the quattro twin tank design on a B6 1.8T or 3.0 A4, mine is a 2002
>> model.
>>
>> It seems the guage is not really faulty as it may be reading low fuel
>> from
>> one tank but the other tank is still supplying the fuel? I do not know...
>>
>> Any thought?
>>
>> BTW the guage and car are working perfect, and I am getting very healthy
>> MPG
>> 40mpg+ I was just curious.

> I drive a '02 3.0 quattro 4 door. My system beeps at 30 miles left to go
> and on my last long trip I was getting 28-29MPG at 70MPH. I don't think
> you are getting 40+MPG unless you are running a TDI. I can only imagine
> that your math is off unless that 60Mile and 40MPG are metric.
>
> I have always wondered how far I could travel after the beep but have not
> put it to the test.
>

> --
>
> Regards
> Robert
>
> Smile... it increases your face value!

> Newsgroups
> =----

I actually get more than 40mpg, on a run I get in excess of 45mpg.

The car holds 58 litres of fuel ( roughly) when filled to the brim the trip
computer always shows 500 miles +

After the beep which on mine can be anything from 90 miles to 40miles, I now
know I have tons of fuel left. I still didn't run out but lost my bottle
when the needle went below red line and I could see space between the needle
and the bottom of the red.

The amount of fuel held, between the beep/empty reading and almost zero is
around £14.00 (in UK money) of fuel.

Don't under estimate the 1.8T on fuel, if you drive at 70mph on the motorway
without using the turbo, it's a normal 1.8 car, but if you floor it round
town it is thirstier by far than your 3.0

-----------

So to sum up, you can run B6 Audi's down to pretty low fuel levels, there is
however one down side to this, Robert what is the most (cost) fuel you have
put in your 3.0? I can it's say about £50 maybe £53 if your paying roughly
94 pence per litre (and filling up when you hear the beep), If you are
paying this much guess how much it cost me to fill up after my little
test.........£67

Old June 19th 06, 10:05 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Ronny > wrote:

> [...]

> when the needle went below red line and I could see space between the needle
> and the bottom of the red.
>
> The amount of fuel held, between the beep/empty reading and almost zero is
> around £14.00 (in UK money) of fuel.
>
> Don't under estimate the 1.8T on fuel, if you drive at 70mph on the motorway
> without using the turbo, it's a normal 1.8 car, but if you floor it round
> town it is thirstier by far than your 3.0
>
> -----------
>
> So to sum up, you can run B6 Audi's down to pretty low fuel levels, there is
> however one down side to this, Robert what is the most (cost) fuel you have
> put in your 3.0? I can it's say about £50 maybe £53 if your paying roughly
> 94 pence per litre (and filling up when you hear the beep), If you are
> paying this much guess how much it cost me to fill up after my little

Then you were probably pretty much on the limit of about to conk out,
the B6 Quattro has got a 66 litre fuel tank [1], the same as my old B4
80, £67 means you manged to squeeze in over 70 litres of fuel (necking
it) and I thought I was cutting it fine when I chucked in £56 worth the
other morning (near as damned it to 60 litres at local prices)

[1] source
<http://www.carsales.com.au/car_sales/new_audi_20040602_17_11_52.htm>
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
Old June 19th 06, 07:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Robert" wrote

> I drive a '02 3.0 quattro 4 door. My system beeps at 30 miles left to go
> and on my last long trip I was getting 28-29MPG at 70MPH. I don't think
> you are getting 40+MPG unless you are running a TDI. I can only imagine
> that your math is off unless that 60Mile and 40MPG are metric.

1 UK gallon = 1.2 US gallon, so 40 mpg UK is about 33 mpg US.

Pete

Old July 3rd 06, 02:29 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
[ a m z ]

Default Quattro Fuel tanks - NOT worth the risk of pump damage

"Pete" > wrote:

> "Alan Sung" wrote:
> >
> > Why would a fuel pump stop working if it sucked fumes or nothing at
> > all? Are they "lubricated" by the fuel running through them?

> The pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank.

On my '97 A8, the pump can ONLY be run "wet." That is one reason why
fixing/replacing the pump is expensive. You can't just take it out and test
it dry on a bench. If the pumps in other Audi's are similar to the one in
my A8, you'll find pump repair/replacement to be more like $700 -- even at
an indy shop. There are also various connectors and whatnot that will cause
a malfunction if not reassembled EXACTLY right.

Again, it is NOT worth the risk. Instead, wait until you have "5 miles" on
the display and fill the tank to the first "click off" on the gas pump.
Note the added gas. Run back down to "5 miles" and again refill to the same
level. Check those numbers against the tank capacity. You should also bear
in mind that the "miles remaining" will change based on recent fuel
consumption. Sometimes, that number will shift wildly if you go up a steep
hill (I'm guessing because the fuel sloshes between the two tank halves).

Old July 3rd 06, 02:06 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ronny

"[ a m z ]" > wrote in message
> "Pete" > wrote:
>>
>> "Alan Sung" wrote:
>> >
>> > Why would a fuel pump stop working if it sucked fumes or nothing at
>> > all? Are they "lubricated" by the fuel running through them?

>> The pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank.

> On my '97 A8, the pump can ONLY be run "wet." That is one reason why
> fixing/replacing the pump is expensive. You can't just take it out and
> test
> it dry on a bench. If the pumps in other Audi's are similar to the one in
> my A8, you'll find pump repair/replacement to be more like $700 -- even at
> an indy shop. There are also various connectors and whatnot that will
> cause
> a malfunction if not reassembled EXACTLY right.
>
> Again, it is NOT worth the risk. Instead, wait until you have "5 miles"
> on
> the display and fill the tank to the first "click off" on the gas pump.
> Note the added gas. Run back down to "5 miles" and again refill to the
> same
> level. Check those numbers against the tank capacity. You should also
> bear
> in mind that the "miles remaining" will change based on recent fuel
> consumption. Sometimes, that number will shift wildly if you go up a
> steep
> hill (I'm guessing because the fuel sloshes between the two tank halves).

Pumps on A4's go for a past-time, it's a very common fault, and a new one
fitted from Audi is £230 / $400 so I doubt it is the same pump, although you
do drive an A8 so they prob jack the prices up.

I know you can run your car down to 5 miles showing on the DIS and refill,
but the point being how much fuel is left in the tank when your car shows 5
miles can vary and I would like to know perhaps how much fuel you can fit in
when it is down to 5 miles on DIS??

I think the gauge on the A4 need recalibrating maybe? as 2 gallons (10
litres) of reserve fuel is far too much.

Ping Tigger: case study on rear O2 sensor and fuel trim Stephen H Honda 0 December 24th 05 06:37 AM
Can 02 Mustang show which cylinder misfires on scanner? John Shepardson Ford Mustang 3 August 29th 05 03:40 AM
DaimlerChrysler Commits Over $70 Million to Fuel Cell Shrike Dodge 0 March 30th 05 09:03 PM
90 spirit won't run Faulguys Chrysler 80 December 10th 04 12:41 AM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 04:41 PM