need to measure valve/piston clearance?

Old April 23rd 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scott

Default need to measure valve/piston clearance?

Hi,

I'm building up a 1776 engine. This is my first experience bulding up
a non-stock motor. The cam that I've selected has a lift at the cam
of .380 and a lift with 1.1 rocker arms of .417. The heads were stock
before being bored out for the 90.5 cylinders, and I've checked my
deck height to be 0.057.

My question is -- do I need to verify the valve to piston clearance
with this setup? My book describes a process involving putting
modeling clay on top of the piston, assembling a head and turning it
over. I'd rather avoid the exercise if this combination of parts is
well outside of the danger zone...

Thanks,
Scott

Old April 23rd 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Scott wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm building up a 1776 engine. This is my first experience bulding up
> a non-stock motor. The cam that I've selected has a lift at the cam
> of .380 and a lift with 1.1 rocker arms of .417. The heads were stock
> before being bored out for the 90.5 cylinders, and I've checked my
> deck height to be 0.057.
>
> My question is -- do I need to verify the valve to piston clearance
> with this setup? My book describes a process involving putting
> modeling clay on top of the piston, assembling a head and turning it
> over. I'd rather avoid the exercise if this combination of parts is
> well outside of the danger zone...
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

I would be inclined to do the clay/putty test anyway.
Takes minutes. You don't need to torque anything, just
bolt on loosely. Don't even need pushrod tubes...

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Valve clearance Anthony W VW air cooled 5 March 1st 07 09:38 PM
Valve clearance question [email protected] Honda 6 November 2nd 06 05:23 AM
Valve,Butterfly valve,Globe valve,Check valve,Ball valve,Plug valve,Marine valve,Gate valve,Flow control valve [email protected] Alfa Romeo 0 April 17th 06 08:20 AM
valve clearance ampoule VW air cooled 2 November 15th 05 08:40 PM
Adjusting valve clearance e36 M3 s52 motor Abs BMW 0 March 7th 05 03:06 AM