Stronger gearbox options.

Old April 10th 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Stronger gearbox options.

What are the options for stronger transmissions? I have a 1975 beetle
with transaxle gearbox. I have a 300hp motor and after only 20 or so
miles, the gearbox had enough. Hewland gearboxes are ridiculously
expensive, so don't bother mentioning those. Rancho gearboxes seem a
good alternative, awaiting a reply to an e-mail I sent. Any other
options? Is a berg 5 kit for 5 gears only or does it strengthen the
gearbox also? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old April 10th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Apr 10, 7:38?am, wrote:
> What are the options for stronger transmissions? I have a 1975 beetle
> with transaxle gearbox. I have a 300hp motor and after only 20 or so
> miles, the gearbox had enough. Hewland gearboxes are ridiculously
> expensive, so don't bother mentioning those. Rancho gearboxes seem a
> good alternative, awaiting a reply to an e-mail I sent. Any other
> options? Is a berg 5 kit for 5 gears only or does it strengthen the
> gearbox also? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sam at Rancho is the best way to go. Tell him what your engine is and
all and he will set you up with everything you want.

A stock tranny is good up to 150 hp so you are going to kill them
quick.

I have installed super diffs, you can do this in a few hours and save
labor cost,but I think Rancho is your best bet.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Old April 11th 07, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Apr 10, 2:10 pm, " > wrote:
> On Apr 10, 7:38?am, wrote:
>
> > What are the options for stronger transmissions? I have a 1975 beetle
> > with transaxle gearbox. I have a 300hp motor and after only 20 or so
> > miles, the gearbox had enough. Hewland gearboxes are ridiculously
> > expensive, so don't bother mentioning those. Rancho gearboxes seem a
> > good alternative, awaiting a reply to an e-mail I sent. Any other
> > options? Is a berg 5 kit for 5 gears only or does it strengthen the
> > gearbox also? Thanks in advance for any help.

> Sam at Rancho is the best way to go. Tell him what your engine is and
> all and he will set you up with everything you want.
>
> A stock tranny is good up to 150 hp so you are going to kill them
> quick.
>
> I have installed super diffs, you can do this in a few hours and save
> labor cost,but I think Rancho is your best bet.
>
> Mario
> Vintage Werks resto

Thanks Mario,
I was on the Rancho site, found a telephone number only. Has Sam got
an e-mail address?

Pete

Old April 12th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AshMan

> > On Apr 10, 7:38?am, wrote:
>
> > > What are the options for stronger transmissions?

The Phantom Grip website (http://www.phantomgrip.com/) makes it sound
like a simple matter of converting almost any "open" diff into a
"limited slip" diff. It is basically a shim/spring package that fits
between the spider gears. The average price for one of these units is
~$300USD. They have many styles to fit many different models, but I
didn't see VW Type-1 tranny in their catalog.

Has anyone looked into getting a Phantom Grip LSD coversion to fit
into a VW SuperDiff? I figured SuperDiff since it is stronger than
stock.

I've sent them email asking if they've ever been asked to create a
unit for VWs. On one site that was testing the units, Phantom Grip
fabricated a model that would fit the test car. It only took them a
few weeks. Imagine if they sold a unit that would slip into a S/A or
IRS diff. Sweet!

I'll let you know what they say when they respond...

AshMan40

Old April 22nd 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AshMan

On Apr 12, 2:17 pm, "AshMan" > wrote:

> The Phantom Grip website (http://www.phantomgrip.com/) makes it sound
> like a simple matter of converting almost any "open" diff into a
> "limited slip" diff. ... <snip>
>
> I've sent them email asking if they've ever been asked to create a
> unit for VWs.... <snip>
>

> AshMan40

I received a reply from Phantom Grip. If I can supply them with the
following dimensions, they will let me know if one of their standard
units will fit. Otherwise, they may be able to make a custom unit if
I send in a complete gear carrier.

Since I don't have a spare differential just lying around.... can
anyone post the following measurements:

Swing Axle:
Diameter of the spider gear shaft?
Gap between inner surfaces of spider gears (min)?
Gap between inner surfaces of axle end gears (min)?

IRS:
Diameter of the spider gear shaft?
Gap between inner surfaces of spider gears (min)?
Gap between inner surfaces of axle end gears (min)?

Does anyone know if there are differences in the above measurements
between a stock gear carrier and a Super Diff? I would assume the
measurements should be the same, except maybe for the spider gear
shaft which could be thicker (for strength) on a Super Diff?
I think I'd prefer the above measurements from a Super Diff. I would
think that if you wanted to add a limited slip unit like the Phantom
Grip to your diff you would want to run a Super Diff for the added
strength.

AshMan40