May Autosimsport out with NKPro review

Old May 4th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default May Autosimsport out with NKPro review

http://www.autosimsport.com/

Pretty fair review of NKPro IMO. ASS has at times reviewed products with
rather rosy spectacles but this one tells it like it is - a great drive
but with some seriously rough edges to smooth out.

The phrase caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) comes to mind with many
V1.0s and NKPro is a prime example. If you feel you wish to invest in
what promises to be a great sim, believe in the developers intentions
and feel you will be part of a sim community project then this is it.
However, if you expect a fully working sim with the same level of
multiplayer capability as rFactor and LFS now then you may be disappointed.

You need to consider if you wish to be an "early adopter", enjoy the
great physics and be patient for the rest to follow. Otherwise let
others do the testing and jump in when it is sorted.

Cheers
Tony
Old May 4th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>and feel you will be part of a sim community project then this is it.

So is there a mechanisum for buyers to shape the future releases or are
you buying on faith?

I'm not disputing what you're saying about its potential,I'm just
wondering how NKpro is any more community based then Racer, LFS,
rfactor, Racing Legends or (gulp) 1st?

Old May 4th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

mcewena wrote:
>> and feel you will be part of a sim community project then this is it.

> So is there a mechanisum for buyers to shape the future releases or are
> you buying on faith?

Based on the experience with feedback being incorporated to the sim so
far and the general style of communication between the developer and the
sim community. No marketing babble here, although as so often more
communication would be helpful. I'd like to think it is more experienced
based than blind faith but it is early days.

> I'm not disputing what you're saying about its potential,I'm just
> wondering how NKpro is any more community based then Racer, LFS,
> rfactor, Racing Legends or (gulp) 1st?

It may be just me taking to this particular project and its style but it
feels as if there is a developer within our community rather than
communication between developer and community. I am sure those heavily
involved with LFS and Racer would say the same.

Compared with LFS, NKpro has more of a hardcore feel to it. I always
feel LFS is designed to appeal to a wider group that the hardcore sim
community are a subset of. Again many would argue with this. From my
experience with Racer it seems somewhat further off this level of
release. rFactor provides the community with a base to work with rather
than necessarily creating the product with the community. The other two
are using private groups for development.

In my opinion NKPro looks to have the potential to move the genre on in
a larger step whilst LFS & rFactor are steadily plugging away evolving
sim racing. Of course iRacing or Racing Legends could simply blow these
away but we just don't know.

Cheers
Tony
Old May 6th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

someone tell me (preferably Tony?)

With me installed the "patched" version of NKpro to "demo" was I supposed to
not be able to turn on the tach, and ONLY one track & car? or do I do
something wrong? I was confused, I thought someone said patch allowed demo
of all but online?

Thanks

Old May 6th 06, 10:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Sting32 wrote:
> someone tell me (preferably Tony?)
>
> With me installed the "patched" version of NKpro to "demo" was I supposed to
> not be able to turn on the tach, and ONLY one track & car? or do I do
> something wrong? I was confused, I thought someone said patch allowed demo
> of all but online?

The initial plan to fix the problems some had with activation was to
open up the locked options in single player. However, the developer
created an alternative method of activation such that the original
design for the locked demo continued with the patch.

It is not perfect - the FF1800 sounds better than the FF1600 IMO and
being restricted to hotlapping the LCD should be visible at least in
some basic state - laptimes and revs.

Of course creating demos adds technical challenges hence we see massive
variations - limited online, no online, a few cars and tracks, AI or not
and even in some cases no demos at all (as they delay the full product
and add risks of cracks being produced if the demo code is simply a
locked full version).

I would like to see a second demo at some stage once the multiplayer has
been sorted so potential purchasers can really try it out. I believe
this would widen the appeal as too restrictive a demo can have a more
negative effect than none at all for some.

Cheers
Tony