Posi-Traction

Old April 16th 05, 05:17 PM
Steve Land

Default Posi-Traction

I have a 1969 with 350/350 and 4 speed (M20). Can't make out most of the
differential numbers, I believe it is a 3.36. Does anyone know how to tell
if positraction without disassembly or buring the tires??

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old April 18th 05, 03:38 AM
Edmond Doone

Place a paint/chock mark on drive shaft. Place a second mark on the
top of your rear tire. Rotate the rear tire one complete revolution.
The number of time the driveshaft went around in that one turn of the
tire is your "gear number." For example, if you turned the tire
once and the drive shaft went aroud approx. three times and a third ...
you probably have a 3.36. Very careful when you do this and have
the motor OFF !!!

Old April 18th 05, 03:41 AM
Edmond Doone

PS... up on jack stands ... if both rear wheels turn ... it's posi

Old April 18th 05, 06:28 AM
Barking Rats

In article >,
"Steve Land" > wrote:

> I have a 1969 with 350/350 and 4 speed (M20). Can't make out most of the
> differential numbers, I believe it is a 3.36. Does anyone know how to tell
> if positraction without disassembly or buring the tires??

Given that of the 38,762 '69s produced only 36,965 had Positraction...
Odds are yours has it.

If your true question is, "How can I tell what gear ratio my '69 has?",
you can jack it up and mark the drive shaft and tires, rotate the tires
counting the... etc. or you can sqiggle your way under it and look for
the code stamped into the bottom facing portion of the flange of the
gear case (assuming of course that no one has stuffed your case with
different gearing than the factory setup):

Small blocks:
AK - 3.36
AL - 3.08
AM - 3.36
AN - 3.55
AO - 3.70
AP - 4.11
AS - 3.70

For those with big blocks who come across this message in the ~future ~:
AT - 3.08
AU - 3.36
AV - 3.08
AW - 3.08
AY - 2.73
AZ - 3.55
FA - 3.70
FB - 4.11
FC - 4.56

If you have a very late production '69, you share the '70 rear axle
codes:
SB:
CAL - 3.08
CAM - 3.36
CAN - 3.55
CAO - 3.70
CAP - 4.11
CAS - 3.70
BB:
CAT - 3.08
CAU - 3.36
CAV - 3.08
CAW - 3.08
CAX - 3.36
CAY - 2.73
CAZ - 3.55
CFA - 3.70
CFB - 4.11
CFC - 4.56
CLR - 3.36

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen
___

'67BB & '72BB
___

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger
Old April 18th 05, 07:21 AM
Barking Rats

In article >,
"Steve Land" > wrote:

> I have a 1969 with 350/350 and 4 speed (M20). Can't make out most of the
> differential numbers, I believe it is a 3.36. Does anyone know how to tell
> if positraction without disassembly or buring the tires??
>
> Thanks in advance for any info.

Given that of the 38,762 '69s produced only 36,965 had Positraction...
Odds are yours has it.

If your true question is, "How can I tell what gear ratio my '69 has?",
you can jack it up and mark the drive shaft and tires, rotate the tires
counting the... etc. or you can sqiggle your way under it and look for
the code stamped into the bottom facing portion of the flange of the
gear case (assuming of course that no one has stuffed your case with
different gearing than the factory setup):

Small blocks:
AK - 3.36
AL - 3.08
AM - 3.36
AN - 3.55
AO - 3.70
AP - 4.11
AS - 3.70

For those with big blocks who come across this message in the ~future ~:
AT - 3.08
AU - 3.36
AV - 3.08
AW - 3.08
AY - 2.73
AZ - 3.55
FA - 3.70
FB - 4.11
FC - 4.56

If you have a very late production '69, you share the '70 rear axle
codes:
SB:
CAL - 3.08
CAM - 3.36
CAN - 3.55
CAO - 3.70
CAP - 4.11
CAS - 3.70
BB:
CAT - 3.08
CAU - 3.36
CAV - 3.08
CAW - 3.08
CAX - 3.36
CAY - 2.73
CAZ - 3.55
CFA - 3.70
CFB - 4.11
CFC - 4.56
CLR - 3.36

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen
___

'67BB & '72BB
___

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger

Oil leak + ABS and Traction control light on olds silhoette 1995 minivan 3.8L [email protected] Technology 0 April 15th 05 04:26 PM
TRAC traction. Does it affect mileage?? TSMANGOD Saturn 8 January 17th 05 01:58 AM
traction control adder BMW 1 November 3rd 04 05:42 PM
Serious off-road traction tires Jim 4x4 20 September 13th 04 04:20 PM