Battery issues

Old August 6th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Esteban

Default Battery issues

My original Motorcraft YD BXT-96R battery was dead this morning on my '05
Mustang. The cells all needed fluid, I filled them and am now giving it a
trickle charge. I noticed a sight gauge on top of the battery, would
someone please tell me what color it should be when the battery is fully
charged and also when the battery has no charge. At the present it is just
dark.
I have tried Google and get only a few hits and nothing I can use.
Thanks again,
Steve

Old August 6th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ray[_7_]

green

Old August 7th 08, 07:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

The sight gauge is for new vehicle service only (particularly the PDI
process)... This gauge is simply two different coloured balls floating in an
inclined tube. Once the battery has been in service for any length of time,
the likelihood that debris can trap the balls or hinder their movement is
very likely.... making any indication suspect.

Look at it this way... would I "waste" my time performing both the high rate
discharge test AND the conductance test if all that was needed was to look
at the little red/green eye? obviously not....

Where these particular indicators are concerned.... anyone can believe
whatever they want.... On anything other than a brand new vehicle, I pay
this indicator no heed... Are they accurate? Pretty much.... but only when
they work...

Top posted for your enjoyment....

Old August 7th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Esteban

Ray, Mechanic:
Thanks for your response.
Also, thanks for the top post...much easier on these old eyes. <G>
Steve

> The sight gauge is for new vehicle service only (particularly the PDI
> process)... This gauge is simply two different coloured balls floating in
> an inclined tube. Once the battery has been in service for any length of
> time, the likelihood that debris can trap the balls or hinder their
> movement is very likely.... making any indication suspect.
>
> Look at it this way... would I "waste" my time performing both the high
> rate discharge test AND the conductance test if all that was needed was to
> look at the little red/green eye? obviously not....
>
> Where these particular indicators are concerned.... anyone can believe
> whatever they want.... On anything other than a brand new vehicle, I pay
> this indicator no heed... Are they accurate? Pretty much.... but only when
> they work...
>
> Top posted for your enjoyment....

VW GTI Issues, battery? [email protected] Technology 3 July 22nd 08 10:06 PM
Best battery deals in Canada? Solar chargers drain the battery in the dark? Calab Technology 10 July 14th 08 07:36 PM
Battery issues? Big Bubba Technology 4 May 24th 08 10:20 PM
Battery issues Beverly S via CarKB.com Saturn 1 June 14th 05 06:07 PM
97 Civic Battery Issues Jesse Murphy Honda 5 January 20th 05 04:35 AM