88 Mustang LX 2.3L acting strange

Old November 8th 04, 07:01 AM
havef8th

Default 88 Mustang LX 2.3L acting strange

Backyard Mechanic > wrote in message >...
> Sigh...
>
> when it gives you problems... push accel to floor while cranking, does it
> start okay then?
>
> If so, too rich. And you most likely have a badly leaking fuel pressure
> regulator.
>
> Other things to look for: The MAP sensor, ECT or possibly even the TPS
>
> The 88 2.3L is designed for economy and you should get 27 mpg freeway and
> about 20 around town
>
> If a dumptruck beats you you either dont have a clue how to drive or that
> engine is in REALLY bad shape
>

> Google search groups for the abbrevs or go to the library and read Probst
> books

Is there any good books that tell you how to change some of these
parts. I bought a Haynes manual for this car and frankly it sucks. I
know where the TPS is located, but where are the MAP, ECT, and Fuel
Regulator located? Or is there a webpage that I can go to. Since I
posted my first message my problems have resulted in the car not
starting now. I have checked the timing and it is correct or correct
enough for it to start. The plugs are wet and I am getting spark. It
might fire every now and then but it will not start to save my life.
I'm glad I bought this as a secondary car but I would like for it to
run. Thanks for any help and for the help you have already given me.
Old November 8th 04, 04:50 PM
Backyard Mechanic

havef8th opined in m:

@!#$#@%$#%@#$@!# I almost blasphemed when I read your post!!!!

DOES IT START WHEN YOU FLOOR THE ACCEL WHILE CRANKING?!!!!!!

Answer the fcuking question!

The following become relevant if the answer is yes.

The FPR is a little can sitting on the injector fuel rail, it has a small
piece of tubing coming out the top to the intake behind the throttle body
- I bet you find gas in it when you pull off that tube.

The ECT is sitting NEXT to and below the same fuel rail, in a runner from the
head to lower intake plenum.. ECT connector has two wires leading into the
injector harness..

When you @#$@#@ READ PROBST and @#$#$@# UNDERSTAND Probst, YOU DONT have to
ASK where they ARE, YOu know where to find them because You #@$@!#@
UNDERSTAND what they #$#@ do!

Sorry folks... Above in lieu of beating head against wall, because I already
have a sinus headache!

Old November 8th 04, 05:13 PM
Dinsdale

Probst I can understand...but Proust just twists my mind

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:50:27 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

Old November 9th 04, 03:10 AM
havef8th

Backyard Mechanic > wrote in message >...
> havef8th opined in m:
>
> @!#$#@%$#%@#$@!# I almost blasphemed when I read your post!!!!
>
> DOES IT START WHEN YOU FLOOR THE ACCEL WHILE CRANKING?!!!!!!
>
> Answer the fcuking question!
>
> The following become relevant if the answer is yes.
>
> The FPR is a little can sitting on the injector fuel rail, it has a small
> piece of tubing coming out the top to the intake behind the throttle body
> - I bet you find gas in it when you pull off that tube.
>
> The ECT is sitting NEXT to and below the same fuel rail, in a runner from the
> head to lower intake plenum.. ECT connector has two wires leading into the
> injector harness..
>
> When you @#$@#@ READ PROBST and @#$#$@# UNDERSTAND Probst, YOU DONT have to
> ASK where they ARE, YOu know where to find them because You #@$@!#@
> UNDERSTAND what they #$#@ do!
>
> Sorry folks... Above in lieu of beating head against wall, because I already
> have a sinus headache!
>

> >> Sigh...
> >>
> >> when it gives you problems... push accel to floor while cranking, does
> >> it start okay then?
> >>
> >> If so, too rich. And you most likely have a badly leaking fuel pressure
> >> regulator.
> >>
> >> Other things to look for: The MAP sensor, ECT or possibly even the TPS
> >>
> >> The 88 2.3L is designed for economy and you should get 27 mpg freeway
> >> and about 20 around town
> >>
> >> If a dumptruck beats you you either dont have a clue how to drive or
> >> that engine is in REALLY bad shape
> >>

> >> Google search groups for the abbrevs or go to the library and read
> >> Probst books

> > Is there any good books that tell you how to change some of these
> > parts. I bought a Haynes manual for this car and frankly it sucks. I
> > know where the TPS is located, but where are the MAP, ECT, and Fuel
> > Regulator located? Or is there a webpage that I can go to. Since I
> > posted my first message my problems have resulted in the car not
> > starting now. I have checked the timing and it is correct or correct
> > enough for it to start. The plugs are wet and I am getting spark. It
> > might fire every now and then but it will not start to save my life.
> > I'm glad I bought this as a secondary car but I would like for it to
> > run. Thanks for any help and for the help you have already given me.

Sorry but no it does not start when the pedal is pressed to the floor
Old November 9th 04, 04:15 PM
Backyard Mechanic

havef8th

> Sorry but no it does not start when the pedal is pressed to the floor

Well, it wont hurt to pull the tube from top of the FPR and see if it's full
of gas... if so could still be the problem.

When you say plugs are wet... are they REALLY VERY wet? strong gas smell?

Old November 10th 04, 05:43 AM
havef8th

Backyard Mechanic > wrote in message >...
> havef8th
>

> > Sorry but no it does not start when the pedal is pressed to the floor

> Well, it wont hurt to pull the tube from top of the FPR and see if it's full
> of gas... if so could still be the problem.
>
> When you say plugs are wet... are they REALLY VERY wet? strong gas smell?

Yes they are really wet and a very strong gas smell.
Old November 10th 04, 01:20 PM
Backyard Mechanic

havef8th opined in m:

> Backyard Mechanic > wrote in message
>> havef8th
>>

>> > Sorry but no it does not start when the pedal is pressed to the floor

>> Well, it wont hurt to pull the tube from top of the FPR and see if it's
>> full of gas... if so could still be the problem.
>>
>> When you say plugs are wet... are they REALLY VERY wet? strong gas
>> smell?

> Yes they are really wet and a very strong gas smell.

Then the FPR, arent you lucky!

Still could be the ECT but symptoms fit FPR as it got progressively worse.
Old November 10th 04, 01:21 PM
Backyard Mechanic

havef8th opined in m:

> Backyard Mechanic > wrote in message
>> havef8th
>>

>> > Sorry but no it does not start when the pedal is pressed to the floor

>> Well, it wont hurt to pull the tube from top of the FPR and see if it's
>> full of gas... if so could still be the problem.
>>
>> When you say plugs are wet... are they REALLY VERY wet? strong gas
>> smell?

> Yes they are really wet and a very strong gas smell.

And change the oil too
Old November 11th 04, 08:27 PM
havef8th

Backyard Mechanic > wrote in message >...
> havef8th opined in m:
>
> > Backyard Mechanic > wrote in message
> >> havef8th

> >> Well, it wont hurt to pull the tube from top of the FPR and see if it's
> >> full of gas... if so could still be the problem.
> >>
> >> When you say plugs are wet... are they REALLY VERY wet? strong gas
> >> smell?

> > Yes they are really wet and a very strong gas smell.
> >

> And change the oil too

I will change out the regulator this weekend. I will follow up to let
ya'll know if this fixed my problem. I appreciate all of the help.

Strange Idle pankajg General 0 December 17th 04 09:50 PM
Strange engine noise & high idle 98 SL ahr888 Saturn 0 December 6th 04 05:30 PM
New Mustang Looking Boss! Patrick Ford Mustang 6 December 3rd 04 05:06 PM
2005 Butt-Ugly Mustang GEB Ford Mustang 42 November 16th 04 03:21 AM
FS: "1968 Ford Mustang GT500" Press-Sheet Litho J.R. Sinclair General 0 August 26th 04 05:15 AM