SB Chevy Lifter Noise

Old March 17th 05, 09:32 PM
Rick2950

Default SB Chevy Lifter Noise

I have a 350 that has excessive lifter noise that will not go away.
It almost sounds like the lifters just do not get enough oil or
something.

Have tried adjusting 1/4 & 1/2 & 3/4 & 1 full turn after clacking
stops. none of those adjustment steps worked.
Have installed new rocker arms and new pushrods. no help.
Added powerpunch. no help
Run 10-40 oil
The motor is basically fresh and clean (new rings/bearings)
350 nothing special for 66 Impala SS Ragtop.
flat top pistons
camel hump heads (redone by professional)
Edelbrock Performer intake
Edelbrock carb.
Reground cam 224 duration 467 lift
could it be bad regrind or bad lifters...

Any ideas would be appreciated, if nothing else, going to order a new
cam/lifters to see if that helps. Only drove the car once last summer
cause the noise annoys me so much.. (does sit in garage).

Thanks!

Old March 17th 05, 11:36 PM
Al

Some cams and lifters tick no matter what you do.
oups.com...

Old March 18th 05, 01:13 PM
pater

Got oil pressure??? Theres no such thing as hydraulic lifters with
"normal" ticking noise no matter what you do.

Old March 18th 05, 09:14 PM
Rick2950

Got plenty of oil pressure 50-60lbs. and oil does come out of the
rockers when adjusting them.

Old March 19th 05, 08:28 AM
Edward Strauss

Rick2950 > wrote:
> Got plenty of oil pressure 50-60lbs. and oil does come out of the
> rockers when adjusting them.

> pater wrote:
> > Got oil pressure??? Theres no such thing as hydraulic lifters with
> > "normal" ticking noise no matter what you do.

Lets see, flat spots on cam, pressed in rocker studs slowly pulling
out. Then of course you can truly have a bad lifter. Don't take but
a couple three lifters or so to make a hell of a racket.
Old March 19th 05, 09:12 AM
shiden_kai

Edward Strauss wrote:

> Lets see, flat spots on cam, pressed in rocker studs slowly pulling
> out. Then of course you can truly have a bad lifter. Don't take but
> a couple three lifters or so to make a hell of a racket.

Right....but none of the above could be considered "normal". The
point is that if there is "ticking" lifter.....something is wrong. There
is no situation where it could be considered "normal" to have to
noisy lifter in these motors.

Ian

Old March 19th 05, 09:38 AM
Edward Strauss

shiden_kai > wrote:
> Edward Strauss wrote:

> > Lets see, flat spots on cam, pressed in rocker studs slowly pulling
> > out. Then of course you can truly have a bad lifter. Don't take but
> > a couple three lifters or so to make a hell of a racket.

> Right....but none of the above could be considered "normal". The
> point is that if there is "ticking" lifter.....something is wrong. There
> is no situation where it could be considered "normal" to have to
> noisy lifter in these motors.

> Ian

Ticking lifters are not normal. Never said that they were.
Funny thing about this, I have a friend with a 2004 Sequoia
that with the hood down you can't hear it running but, with
the hood raised it sounds almost like a solid lifter motor.
Dealer tells him it's normal...
Old March 19th 05, 07:52 PM
shiden_kai

Edward Strauss wrote:

> Ticking lifters are not normal. Never said that they were.
> Funny thing about this, I have a friend with a 2004 Sequoia
> that with the hood down you can't hear it running but, with
> the hood raised it sounds almost like a solid lifter motor.
> Dealer tells him it's normal...

We tell people all the time that "what sounds like a
lifter noise" in their new generation small block chev
engines is a normal noise. It's piston slap....but it
does sound very much like lifter noise.

Ian

Old March 21st 05, 05:23 PM
Steve

Edward Strauss wrote:

> Ticking lifters are not normal. Never said that they were.
> Funny thing about this, I have a friend with a 2004 Sequoia
> that with the hood down you can't hear it running but, with
> the hood raised it sounds almost like a solid lifter motor.
> Dealer tells him it's normal...

Of course its a product of the holy factories of TOYOTA, and couldn't
possibly have a problem.

<sarcasm off>

Actually, a lot of fuel injected engines have pretty noisy fuel
injectors, which sound a bit like lifters.

As for the OP- this was said to be a "fresh" engine... makes me wonder
if some crud from the reassembly process was missed, and got into
several lifters causing them to leak down. Other than that, I'm a little
baffled. I'm used to shaft-rocker engines where you bolt 'em together
and they work- no diddling with rocker arm stud nuts, varying rocker
angles, etc.

Old March 22nd 05, 07:13 AM
Edward Strauss

Steve > wrote:
> Edward Strauss wrote:

> > Ticking lifters are not normal. Never said that they were.
> > Funny thing about this, I have a friend with a 2004 Sequoia
> > that with the hood down you can't hear it running but, with
> > the hood raised it sounds almost like a solid lifter motor.
> > Dealer tells him it's normal...

> Of course its a product of the holy factories of TOYOTA, and couldn't
> possibly have a problem.

> <sarcasm off>

> Actually, a lot of fuel injected engines have pretty noisy fuel
> injectors, which sound a bit like lifters.

> As for the OP- this was said to be a "fresh" engine... makes me wonder
> if some crud from the reassembly process was missed, and got into
> several lifters causing them to leak down. Other than that, I'm a little
> baffled. I'm used to shaft-rocker engines where you bolt 'em together
> and they work- no diddling with rocker arm stud nuts, varying rocker
> angles, etc.

Your right it sounds like fuel injector clatter to me but, thats the point
from where we are sitting it could be anything. Something had to be over
looked, gravel in the engine, etc. Noises are hard enough to figure out
when you are standing right next to it...