Next winter Im buying Blizzak snow tires!!

Old February 26th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Next winter Im buying Blizzak snow tires!!

Have a 2000 Mazda Protege ES

Normally run all season tires al year round here in
north Missouri.

But this winter has been so crappy that next year I'm
buying dedicated snow tires such as Blizzaks!! I need
that extra braking power.

Would like to hear form others who are doing same thing
and can tell me if the "snow tire shuffle" is worth it
every year?
Old February 26th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Feb 26, 9:37*am, wrote:
> Have a 2000 Mazda Protege ES
>
> Normally run all season tires al year round here in
> north Missouri.
>
> But this winter has been so crappy that next year I'm
> buying dedicated snow tires such as Blizzaks!! *I need
> that extra braking power.
>
> Would like to hear form others who are doing same thing
> and can tell me if the "snow tire shuffle" is worth it
> every year?

Yes. Of course I drive a Porsche 944, so it's utterly worthless on
ice without snow tires. YMMV. I'm running Dunlop Winter Sport M3s as
Tire Rack had them at a deep discount last year (don't drive the car
that much, they should be good for a couple winters.) I picked up
some used and ugly rims so I can swap them myself.

nate
Old February 26th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

N8N > wrote:

> I picked up
>some used and ugly rims so I can swap them myself.

Is buying some doff rims something your would strongly
advise doing? Or just having the tires swapped to
current rims and back each year ok?
Old February 26th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Feb 26, 3:21*pm, wrote:
> N8N > wrote:
> > I picked up
> >some used and ugly rims so I can swap them myself.

> Is buying some doff rims something your would strongly
> advise doing? *Or just having the tires swapped to
> current rims and back each year ok?

Depends on your local costs. Around here a single tire mounted and
balanced is $25 or more, so that's $200 a year just to swap - I think
I probably did pay about $50 apiece for the rims, so in two years they
pay for themselves. plus if you have chrome or aluminum rims, road
salt eats 'em up.

nate
Old February 26th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hobbes

On Feb 26, 11:03*am, (Brent P)
wrote:
> In article >, wrote:
> > Have a 2000 Mazda Protege ES

> > Normally run all season tires al year round here in
> > north Missouri.

> > But this winter has been so crappy that next year I'm
> > buying dedicated snow tires such as Blizzaks!! *I need
> > that extra braking power.

> > Would like to hear form others who are doing same thing
> > and can tell me if the "snow tire shuffle" is worth it
> > every year?

> I'm in the chicago area and have gone from all seasons to swaping. I had
> upgraded my front brakes years ago and just used two original rims for
> the rear snow tires and bought two more rims that clear the front
> calipers for the front. Way better than all seasons.
>
> using pirelli winter sports... got the wheels and tires from tire-rack.

Hi,

Westchester County, NY, 1999 Honda Civic.

I got some Bridgestone Blizzack WS-50's about three years ago now.
Live on a hill and could never make it up. Used to havce to walk up to
my house and leave the car ant the bottom of the hill. Max gradient
1:14. After installing the Blizzacks I can make it up the hill through
6-inches of snow.

Bought from Tire Rack and had them mounted on a set of rims by tire
rack. When they arrived I just pop them on.

Great for snow. Pretty good for ice. Somewhat squidgy for fast
handeling, but you don't buy snow tires for zooming around anyways.

Yes. I recommend them.

Best, Mike.
Old February 26th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Mike Romain > wrote:

>I live in Canada where winter tires are needed and worked in garages for
>a number of years and the best is to have spare rims and tires. The
>tires suffer some amount of damage every time they get removed, do it
>enough times and they leak or need tubes.
>
>The shops around here offer sales on rims when it's winter tire season
>usually.

OK thanks

Sounds like I better plan on a set of rims as well

Done deal..... have put a note in my online calendar to
start looking/buying next October. Or...should I look
in the summer when rims might be cheaper, etc?
Old February 26th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

hobbes > wrote:

>After installing the Blizzacks I can make it up the hill through
>6-inches of snow.

Wow

How is the breaking power on snow and ice? Much
improved?