Audi A4 TV module - view whilst driving?

Old May 12th 04, 06:42 PM
Russell Fray

Default Audi A4 TV module - view whilst driving?

Hi,

I'm likely going to buy a new A4 1.9TDi for 1st Sep delivery, with the
'navigation plus' and tv option. (UK Model). The brochure says that for
"safety reasons" the TV will not work whilst the car is in motion, which is
a bit of a pain because the only reason I would get the TV option is to that
the passengers can watch it whilst I'm driving.

I would also like to plug a dvd player / ps2 in to the navigation unit to
utilise the screen, and stick a couple of extra screens in the rear
headrests for rear passengers - does anyone know if that's possible?

Does anybody know if there is a way to activate the TV display so it will
work whilst driving? Most other cars with this option seem to have some
kind of "hack" that will allow it.

Also one last question if anyone knows - does the navi unit have an aux-in
so I can plug an MP3 player in to it?

I don't want to start a thread about the legal or morale issues of having a
TV on whilst driving please - just the technical side of whether (and how)
it can be done

Thanks in advance,
Russ.

Old May 12th 04, 07:52 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"Russell Fray" > wrote:

[Snip]

> I would also like to plug a dvd player / ps2 in to the navigation unit
> to utilise the screen, and stick a couple of extra screens in the rear
> headrests for rear passengers - does anyone know if that's possible?

It certainly is - I haven't done it on my car, but I know people who
have done this to RS4 and RS6.

> Does anybody know if there is a way to activate the TV display so it
> will work whilst driving? Most other cars with this option seem to
> have some kind of "hack" that will allow it.

Yes - you disconnect the 'GALA' wire going in to the back of the head
unit. You can even put a switch in the line so that the GALA function
can be enabled when you are listening to radio/cd. Do a google search -
there are a number of sites with the details. Don't be fooled into
purchasing a 'convertor' to do this - they don't do any more than
isolating the GALA signal.

> Also one last question if anyone knows - does the navi unit have an
> aux-in so I can plug an MP3 player in to it?

Yes - there are two aux inputs which can be used for video, or just
audio (selected from the TV mode). However, if you want mp3 player, but
aren't worried about losing CD, you could do what I've done and replace
the CD changer with a PhatBox - it integrates well, using the CD
changer controls on your head unit to control the song selection and
playback. I understand that PhatBox is now available from Audi dealers
in the UK - I purchased mine from the US a year ago.

Old May 12th 04, 09:49 PM
Dano

Russell Fray wrote:

> Does anybody know if there is a way to activate the TV display so it will
> work whilst driving? Most other cars with this option seem to have some
> kind of "hack" that will allow it.

try: http://www.tvwiz.net/navigation/galamod.html

Dano
Old May 12th 04, 10:21 PM
Richard Goulding

"Peter Bell" > wrote in message
> In message >
> "Russell Fray" > wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
> > I would also like to plug a dvd player / ps2 in to the navigation unit
> > to utilise the screen, and stick a couple of extra screens in the rear
> > headrests for rear passengers - does anyone know if that's possible?

> It certainly is - I haven't done it on my car, but I know people who
> have done this to RS4 and RS6.
>
> > Does anybody know if there is a way to activate the TV display so it
> > will work whilst driving? Most other cars with this option seem to
> > have some kind of "hack" that will allow it.

> Yes - you disconnect the 'GALA' wire going in to the back of the head
> unit. You can even put a switch in the line so that the GALA function
> can be enabled when you are listening to radio/cd. Do a google search -
> there are a number of sites with the details. Don't be fooled into
> purchasing a 'convertor' to do this - they don't do any more than
> isolating the GALA signal.
>
> > Also one last question if anyone knows - does the navi unit have an
> > aux-in so I can plug an MP3 player in to it?

> Yes - there are two aux inputs which can be used for video, or just
> audio (selected from the TV mode). However, if you want mp3 player, but
> aren't worried about losing CD, you could do what I've done and replace
> the CD changer with a PhatBox - it integrates well, using the CD
> changer controls on your head unit to control the song selection and
> playback. I understand that PhatBox is now available from Audi dealers
> in the UK - I purchased mine from the US a year ago.
>
> --
> Peter Bell (Note Spamtrap - To reply, replace 'invalid' with

'bellfamily')

Do you know of anywhere on-line to purchase a PhatBox. I assume that is what
you did.

TIA

Richard

Old May 13th 04, 10:18 AM
Peter Bell

In message >
"Richard Goulding" > wrote:

> "Peter Bell" > wrote in message

[Snip]

> > ... if you want mp3 player, but
> > aren't worried about losing CD, you could do what I've done and
> > replace the CD changer with a PhatBox - it integrates well, using
> > the CD changer controls on your head unit to control the song
> > selection and playback. I understand that PhatBox is now available
> > from Audi dealers in the UK - I purchased mine from the US a year
> > ago.

> Do you know of anywhere on-line to purchase a PhatBox. I assume that
> is what you did.

I bought mine from:
http://www.clairparts.com/accessorie...54&PDID=195124

Old May 13th 04, 01:09 PM
Russell Fray

> "Peter Bell" > wrote in message
> > "Russell Fray" > wrote:
> > > Does anybody know if there is a way to activate the TV display so it
> > > will work whilst driving? Most other cars with this option seem to
> > > have some kind of "hack" that will allow it.

> > Yes - you disconnect the 'GALA' wire going in to the back of the head
> > unit. You can even put a switch in the line so that the GALA function
> > can be enabled when you are listening to radio/cd. Do a google search -
> > there are a number of sites with the details. Don't be fooled into
> > purchasing a 'convertor' to do this - they don't do any more than
> > isolating the GALA signal.

Wasn't the GALA signal replaced in the new A4, i can't remember what with,
but I'm sure I read that the Gala mod would only work on pre 2003 cars as
all the electronics were changed for the 2004 model.

> > > Also one last question if anyone knows - does the navi unit have an
> > > aux-in so I can plug an MP3 player in to it?

> > Yes - there are two aux inputs which can be used for video, or just
> > audio (selected from the TV mode). However, if you want mp3 player, but
> > aren't worried about losing CD, you could do what I've done and replace
> > the CD changer with a PhatBox - it integrates well, using the CD
> > changer controls on your head unit to control the song selection and
> > playback. I understand that PhatBox is now available from Audi dealers
> > in the UK - I purchased mine from the US a year ago.

PhatBox sounds even better - then I'll have two spare inputs for a dvd
player and xbox!

Thanks,
Russ.

Old May 13th 04, 04:22 PM
C.R. Krieger

"Russell Fray" > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> I'm likely going to buy a new A4 1.9TDi for 1st Sep delivery, with the
> 'navigation plus' and tv option. (UK Model). The brochure says that for
> "safety reasons" the TV will not work whilst the car is in motion, which is
> a bit of a pain because the only reason I would get the TV option is to that
> the passengers can watch it whilst I'm driving.
>
> I would also like to plug a dvd player / ps2 in to the navigation unit to
> utilise the screen, and stick a couple of extra screens in the rear
> headrests for rear passengers - does anyone know if that's possible?
>
> I don't want to start a thread about the legal or morale issues of having a
> TV on whilst driving please - just the technical side of whether (and how)
> it can be done

Unfortunately, this is Usenet and you don't necessarily get to set the
paramaters for the discussion. You obviously recognize that there
*is* a safety consideration here and you prefer to ignore that for
your own selfish reasons. If you're going to drop all the bucks into
a couple of DVD screens in your headrests to entertain the rear
passengers, who's left to see the front one? Just you and one front
seat passenger. If *everyone* in the car *must* be entertained by
television, I'd suggest that you're a stupendous bore who will find it
difficult not to watch, yourself - which is precisely what poses a
threat to others. So feel free to stick screens in the headrests and
connect headphones for those in the back - but don't go messing around
with the front one. Lots of things *can* be done that *shouldn't* be
done.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Still cranky)