Alternator connector glowing red hot after jumping veh with other battery

Old May 17th 18, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Alternator connector glowing red hot after jumping veh with other battery

My 99 Explorer had been running fine. Tonight I left my lights on, killed the battery - which is about a week old from Walmart. Boosted it with another battery I have that happens to be good. Car fired up but the connection nut with the rubber boot at the top of the alternator started glowing red hot. Obviously can't run it like that.

Any ideas what's happened? Never encountered this before.

Thanks.
Old May 17th 18, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>My 99 Explorer had been running fine. Tonight I left my lights on, killed t=
>he battery - which is about a week old from Walmart. Boosted it with anothe=
>r battery I have that happens to be good. Car fired up but the connection n=
>ut with the rubber boot at the top of the alternator started glowing red ho=
>t. Obviously can't run it like that.
>
>Any ideas what's happened? Never encountered this before.=20

Your alternator is shorted to ground internally. Either because it got a
brief reverse polarity spike or just because it failed from age. You may
be able to get the diodes in the regulator replaced or you may have to
swap out the whole thing.
--scott
Old May 17th 18, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Alternators. The weakest link in the vehicular
electrical chain.
Old May 18th 18, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 5/17/2018 8:55 AM, wrote:
> Alternators. The weakest link in the vehicular
> electrical chain.

So I can take out my fusible link then?

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old May 18th 18, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >, AMuzi > wrote:
>On 5/17/2018 8:55 AM, wrote:
>> Alternators. The weakest link in the vehicular
>> electrical chain.

>So I can take out my fusible link then?

No, the alternator does that for you.
--scott

Old May 18th 18, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

AMuzi wrote: "
So I can take out my fusible link then?

-- "

No, wiseguy. Alternators are the most likely
underhood component to go bad in an
automotive electrical system. That's all I
was saying.

Back in college went through three new
batteries in my '81 Buick. Replaced the
alternator after that third one and never
bought a battery for that car again.