value of 86 convt 116K miles?

Old August 13th 04, 10:00 AM
Raymond Prince

Default value of 86 convt 116K miles?

I'm looking at an 86 convt with 116,000 miles, it definitely needs new
paint, carpet, ragtop, weather-strips, antennae, gear on one headlight, tank
drained and new battery, due to being left sitting for almost a year.
The body itself is in good shape and it has an aero package with front dam,
side skirts, and rear fin about 3 inches high.
If the motor and drive train are in working order, what would a rough guess
at the price be?
Any help would be most appreciated.
RLP

Old August 13th 04, 01:16 PM
Bob G.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:00:48 GMT, "Raymond Prince"
> wrote:

>I'm looking at an 86 convt with 116,000 miles, it definitely needs new
>paint, carpet, ragtop, weather-strips, antennae, gear on one headlight, tank
>drained and new battery, due to being left sitting for almost a year.
>The body itself is in good shape and it has an aero package with front dam,
>side skirts, and rear fin about 3 inches high.
>If the motor and drive train are in working order, what would a rough guess
>at the price be?
>Any help would be most appreciated.
>RLP

=======================
Easier to work backward on this on...

I personally have no problem with the miles...
But I can see you writing a few big checks for the paint (3-5K)
The top will set you back only a few hundred...but installation
another 3 hundred... The carpet I honestly can't remember the prices
for weatherstripping is (double ouch honestly) ...

I think you are looking at at least 6K for cosmetic repairs..

In other words under 5 K is about all I would be willing to pay...

Bob Griffiths

Old August 13th 04, 08:11 PM
Raymond Prince

I have priced many of the items needed through ecklers and I would be doing
a lot of the cosmetic work myself. I also was thinking along the line of
less than 5K for it like it sits now, and around 3K for parts to repair and
2-3K for the paint. So if I get in it and fix it for less than 10K, I would
still have a car that should be worth a little more than what I have in it,
I hope! Am I right?
Thanks for your input.
RLP

Old August 13th 04, 08:25 PM
RicSeyler

An '86 Convert worth 10K? Manual or Auto? Auto won't bring as much.
It would have to be very nice, under and out and in.....
like all the suspension wear parts replaced, u-joints, bearings, shocks,
tires, clean wheels,
nice paint, interior, seats, new top, no engine smoke on startup, no
fluid leaks,
squeaks and rattles, yada yada...

There is a LOT MORE to making a car over than paint, top, and carpet.
As much money, if not more, than you paid out for the paint, top and
carpet..

--
Ric Seyler

Old August 14th 04, 12:22 AM
Bob I

I think you are low balling what you will spend, and over estimating
what you could sell it for. Now if you throw those small items out, and
enjoy it you should be a happy owner!

Old August 14th 04, 03:47 AM
Raymond Prince

Thanks for the advice guys. I went and looked at it again tonight, and the
paint is in good condition, the bad places were just buildup spots of dirt
from being under a cover for so long. Engine sounded good, no smoke and
smooth.
One more ? Did the wood grain dash overlays come from factory or is that
something that someone added afterwards?
RLP

Old August 14th 04, 03:56 AM
Dad

"Raymond Prince" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the advice guys. I went and looked at it again tonight, and the
> paint is in good condition, the bad places were just buildup spots of dirt
> from being under a cover for so long. Engine sounded good, no smoke and
> smooth.
> One more ? Did the wood grain dash overlays come from factory or is that
> something that someone added afterwards?
> RLP

Most of the time that is added when they add the sheepskin seat covers.

--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old August 14th 04, 04:30 AM
Raymond Prince

Good, so it won't matter when I rip it off. It looks so tacky.
RLP