Brake servo problem(?) - Audi 100 1985

Old March 29th 06, 12:39 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Brake servo problem(?) - Audi 100 1985

It seems to me that there is another explanation.

If the Brake fluid is low then it would still stop. If it is gone from the MC it
wouldn't stop and the pedal would go to the floor.

A sudden change in brake pressure (pedal is hard to press but car stops) seems
more like a failure in hydraulic assist > the pump is not supplying assist to
the MC. This could be due to the Pentosin being low / gone, the pump failing or
the belt that drives the pump breaking.

The 'bomb' would not seem to cause this as it is used to provide assist when the
engine is off. If the bomb is bad but the pump is working it will stop fine but
throw a warning light on hard braking.

The problem with my theory is that this failure would also eliminate the power
steering but his girl friend didn't mention that.

My bet is the hydraulic fluid (Pentosin) is very low or the pump belt is gone.

After loosing a pump on a trip I drove 500 miles + with no assist. Its a bit
scary but it works.

TonyJ
previously four T44s
current 98.5 A4 1.8 TQM

Old March 30th 06, 11:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Brake servo problem(?) - Audi 100 1985: Part II

"Chris G." > wrote in message
. ..
> Hey (again :-) group
>
> Well, aircon's on the back burner again due to the following:
>
> My girlfriend was on the way to work this morning when the brake-servo
> seemed to give up the ghost - there was a total loss of brake pressure, in
> any case. I've taken a look at the Haynes manual, but was wondering if
> there's anyone here that can point me in the direction of the most likely
> failure? The warning light was on (along with three beeps) when the
> failure occurred.

Well, it looks like two new rear calipers are in order here, with all the
associated pipework :-)

It's been quite a hard, cold winter here in Denmark, and it seems as though
the road-salt has done it's evil work seizing some things up and eating
through the rest :-/ Everthing else with the braking system functions
perfectly (thankfully).

I'll post another update when the job's done.

--
Chris
: )

Old April 9th 06, 01:29 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Chris G." > wrote in message
. ..

> I'll post another update when the job's done.

Well, a total overhaul of the braking system seems to work wonders.

Thanks for your answers, lads; I really do appreciate your help :-)'

--
Chris
: )

Audi S4 2002 Warped Brake Rotors [email protected] Audi 10 January 21st 06 04:09 PM
Oil change on 1996 Audi A6 - V6 2.6 litre engine (UK) Mark Audi 20 December 18th 05 02:28 PM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro brake bleeding [email protected] Technology 3 June 17th 05 07:47 PM
1998 Audi A6 electrical problem T-Bone Audi 3 September 22nd 04 03:21 PM