'97 Grand Caravan Brake Question

Old October 15th 04, 07:39 PM
Mark

Default '97 Grand Caravan Brake Question

A while back I posted looking for recommendations for good brake rotors due
to my van's warped rotor syndrome. I wound up getting Raybestos PG + rotors
and the quiet stop plus pads (ceramic) I also replaced the rear shoes and
cylinders, flushed the system & put a combo kit on the rear axles. The van
warped the new rotors while using the lightest braking while breaking in
the rotors and pads. ( and yes, I use a snap on torque wrench religiously )
The steering wheel now literally wags back and forth when stopping for
lights. It just gets worse and worse just like all the other rotors I put
on this thing. I know its the fronts because it stops smooth via parking
brake. I'm thinking now that the hubs must some how be warped, causing
rotors to go all the time. ( I should have resolved the brake issue when it
was new, I already noticed warping on the drive home from the dealer with 24
miles on the odometer. By the time I made my first complaint, I was over
the 12k mark & the dealer said I was SOL, so I've lived with this prob for
87k now.

Any ideas on what to look for ?

Old October 15th 04, 07:54 PM
Carl Baron

Mark wrote:

> A while back I posted looking for recommendations for good brake rotors due
> to my van's warped rotor syndrome. I wound up getting Raybestos PG + rotors
> and the quiet stop plus pads (ceramic) I also replaced the rear shoes and
> cylinders, flushed the system & put a combo kit on the rear axles. The van
> warped the new rotors while using the lightest braking while breaking in
> the rotors and pads.

> Any ideas on what to look for ?

I had my front rotors and pads replaced on my 1996 Caravan about a year and a
half ago. I believe that they were warped when I got them. This is how they
felt; with light touch they was alot of pulsing which became less as I applied
more pressure to the brakes. This pulsing got less and less over the following
year or so, as (I'm guessing) the wear caused by the brake pads removed the
warp.

Carl

Old October 15th 04, 07:54 PM
Carl Baron

Old October 15th 04, 09:45 PM
jdoe

Not sure what to tell you. I have never had an issue with any of my vans
I"ve owned at all even with my wife driving them (as she's quite hard on
brakes and driveline) and I've owned 5 of them from an 85 to my current 99
T&C ltd.
Do you have allow wheels? If so there may be some layer of corrosion behind
them and on the hub. But I've had perfect performance from my brakes (even
when I've used the chinese rotors).
Larry
et...

Old October 15th 04, 09:45 PM
jdoe

Not sure what to tell you. I have never had an issue with any of my vans
I"ve owned at all even with my wife driving them (as she's quite hard on
brakes and driveline) and I've owned 5 of them from an 85 to my current 99
T&C ltd.
Do you have allow wheels? If so there may be some layer of corrosion behind
them and on the hub. But I've had perfect performance from my brakes (even
when I've used the chinese rotors).
Larry
et...

Old October 15th 04, 09:58 PM
Mark

I get the feeling its just something with this van as well. The rotors warp
pretty much as soon as you put them on and get progressively worse. Rather
than complicate the original post - yes I do have alloys. With the last
change, I went as far as using a scotch brite pad on the rim's mating
surface. I'm waiting for my magnetic mounting base to arrive so I can do a
runout measurement on the front axles & hubs.

Old October 15th 04, 09:58 PM
Mark

Old October 15th 04, 10:17 PM
Bill Putney

Mark wrote:

> A while back I posted looking for recommendations for good brake rotors due
> to my van's warped rotor syndrome. I wound up getting Raybestos PG + rotors
> and the quiet stop plus pads (ceramic) I also replaced the rear shoes and
> cylinders, flushed the system & put a combo kit on the rear axles. The van
> warped the new rotors while using the lightest braking while breaking in
> the rotors and pads. ( and yes, I use a snap on torque wrench religiously )
> The steering wheel now literally wags back and forth when stopping for
> lights. It just gets worse and worse just like all the other rotors I put
> on this thing. I know its the fronts because it stops smooth via parking
> brake. I'm thinking now that the hubs must some how be warped, causing
> rotors to go all the time. ( I should have resolved the brake issue when it
> was new, I already noticed warping on the drive home from the dealer with 24
> miles on the odometer. By the time I made my first complaint, I was over
> the 12k mark & the dealer said I was SOL, so I've lived with this prob for
> 87k now.
>
> Any ideas on what to look for ?

If that is the problem, it would have to be solved by replacing
whichever of the two front bearing/hub assemblies is bad. If you have
access to a dial indicator with a magnetic base, you could take the
front wheels off, tighten the lug nuts against the rotors evenly to hold
them flat against the hubs, and measure the lateral runout of the
rotors. Assuming the rotors themselves are true, any runout would be
due to the culprit bearing/hub. Otherwise (if making the measurement is
too much trouble), just replace both front hub/bearing assemblies.

I feel your pain - back in 1973, I bought my first brand new car - a
Mercury Capri with a hot-running German V-6. From day one, it shook on
braking, and not just a little bit, and cupped the tires. The Ford
dealers were no help. After a year of replacing this and that on the
brakes, I finally figured out by process of elimination that the only
thing left was the wheel hub. In those days, they used tapered roller
bearings, and apparently one of the pressed-in bearing seats was
slightly cocked in the hub, either due to an improrperly machined hub or
a piece of dirt behind it, because when I finally replaced the hubs, the
problem totally disappeared. A lot of frustration, money, and nasty
letters to Ford (you think customer service is bad now - it was way
worse back then) before I finally fixed it on my own.

One last thing to rule out before you replace the bearing/hub assys.:
Make sure that there's no rust or dirt between hub abd rotor and rotor
and wheel causing things to tilt (doesnt' take much). I know you said
the problem was there from day one, but you should at least check.
However, I suspect new bearings/hubs will fix it.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old October 15th 04, 10:17 PM
Bill Putney

Old October 15th 04, 10:21 PM
Bill Putney

Mark wrote:

> I get the feeling its just something with this van as well. The rotors warp
> pretty much as soon as you put them on and get progressively worse. Rather
> than complicate the original post - yes I do have alloys. With the last
> change, I went as far as using a scotch brite pad on the rim's mating
> surface. I'm waiting for my magnetic mounting base to arrive so I can do a
> runout measurement on the front axles & hubs.

Good idea - I didn't see this until after making my previous post.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Brake light question Charlie Corvette 6 January 16th 05 02:56 PM
97 Caravan brake question Brian Dodge 0 September 22nd 04 05:20 AM