'93 Miata -- shutting off alarm?

Old January 16th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default '93 Miata -- shutting off alarm?

Hi.

First time posting here. Howdy everyone.

Bought a '93 Miata early last summer, with 124K miles. It's been sweet,
the greatest car ever, in fact.

I garage-parked her (unheated) at the end of October, and had her out
in early December for a 15 minute reminder of summer, and again
tonight. When I went to start it tonight, the battery wasn't dead, but
it didn't have quite enough juice to get it started. But I did manage
to arm the alarm system, which I didn't even know it had. Perheps the
low voltage triggered that somehow?

Opening the door triggered a pretty damn load sequence of horns, and
that whoopie siren, and some other stuff, for about 15-20 seconds
total.

I jump started it with my Wrangler (winter ride, another story there),
after taking a while to find the battery -- I did have a Fiat Spider
back in the day, so kinda knew where to look after I didn't find it up
front. I took it out for a spin for a few miles, without the alarm
going off. Only opening either the passenger or driver doors seemed to
make it go off. There is a red LED blinking on the dash to the left of
the driver, 3 short bursts, then a pause, then it repeats.

I did try unlocking the driver's door with the key -- made no
difference.

I'm stoked to find out she has an alarm -- it'd be really neat to know
how to shut it off, too. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Old January 16th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Hey-
If it's a factory (Mazda) alarm system there is a small toggle switch
somewhere... Look in the center consle (arm rest) or under the dash.
It's been so long since I had mine (over a decade) that I can't remember
if the switch is on/off or momentary that you need to flip while
starting the IGN. I wound up have trouble with mine (in my 92) that I
yanked it and put in an Alpine system. The Alpine system has a motion
detector for the cockpit that I used when the top was down. The head
unit for the alarm is typically in the trunk. If you can't get the alarm
to stop going off you can pull the hardness leads to stop/reset the
system. Pull out the spare tire and see if it's mounted in front of
(behind) that... If no one here can help you might try calling Mazda or
stopping by their dealers to see if they can provide instructions for
the system.
-alex-

Old January 18th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Look for a little toggle switch at the end of a couple of wires, likely
tucked behind the dash and up around the steering column on the
driver's side.