'98 EB Explorer Antenna Problem

Old August 1st 05, 01:51 AM
Jim

Default '98 EB Explorer Antenna Problem

When I turn off the ignition, the antenna does not automatically go down as
it is supposed to. The antenna motor runs, but the antenna stays up unless
I get out and tap on the top of it, and then it retracts and the motor
stops. If I don't do anything, the motor stops running after about 15-20
seconds and the antenna just stays up. It comes up OK when I turn on the
ignition. How do I access the antenna motor and the antenna where it
interfaces with the motor?

Old August 1st 05, 05:15 PM
Ted

Jim,

Had my mast replaced on 95 about 6 years ago because it got bent.
Repair guy pried off the bezel on top of the fender, then I think he
just twisted the bottom to unscrew it (I think). Mast goes up/down by
a flexible plastic cogged drive belt (alot like rip cord on crash up
derby toy cars cars from years ago). Did you try cleaning the mast
when up and then lube it with silicone sproy (don't use wd-40 or
similar petrol stuff or it will attract dirt).

Ted

Old August 1st 05, 09:44 PM
Davenandee

Part of the 'cable' is broken. Mine broke near the top, yours near the
bottom. It requires a new mast. The new mast has the cable attached to
it. I had to take out the motor and open the housing to get the old
cable out. As you probably should.
I removed the mounting bolts and screws for the rear of the wheel well
plastic liner, dropped the motor and opened it. You have to remove the
wheel and if it isn't too hot (I live in Florida) it's not too bad of a
job.
Dave

--
Diving is life! The rest is just details.
W.W.W.I.

Old August 2nd 05, 03:48 PM
Jim

Thanks to both Ted and Dave!
I tried the silicone spray and that didn't work, so I guess I will proceed
with Dave's instructions. It is too hot right now, so I may wait until it
gets cooler...October?? I am in Texas and I suspect it's hotter here than
in Florida. Thanks again for your input!
Jim

nk.net...

Old August 2nd 05, 05:54 PM
Davenandee

Where in Texas? We moved from Houston about two years ago! Alvin before
houston.
The least expensive place I have found Ford parts was on the net. The
antenna was $25.29 from Bob Utter Ford, Lincoln, Mercury in Sherman,
Texas. 1-800-259-3560 The quoted about $35 until I told them I got
them from the internet. Then the price lowered. I didn't even have to
play the Texas card (i.e.. I moved from there!) The repair is straight
forward, just hot! Good luck,

Dave