2000 Dodge Neon (Ticking, Noisy starting engine)

Old April 21st 04, 09:40 AM
Ken

Default 2000 Dodge Neon (Ticking, Noisy starting engine)

I have a 2000 Dodge Neon ES (3-spd automatic) with about 50,000 miles.
There are a few issues:

Since about 30,000 miles, it has made a ticking sound when I first start
the engine in the morning. It's loudest in the beginning, and will
gradually become softer until it's not audible anymore (when the engine
warms up to operating tempurature) within 5-10 minutes. The ticking has
a frequency of about 2 ticks per second at engine idle speed, and will
increase as the engine is revved. The ticking is louder when it's colder
(colder weather, or sitting for more hours).

Recently (last 5,000 miles), when I start the car, there is also a LOUD
clacking noise that is sporatic and comes in bursts, lasting just one or
two seconds each... This clacking noise is pretty scary.

The car hasn't been driven much the past three months, as I have just
purchased a new toy (2004 Dodge SRT-4), but the last time I drove it, I
experienced occasional "spurts" from the engine. For example, I'm
accelerating at a slow and steady pace, and for a split second, I feel
the engine "tugging" the car forward, kind of like an engine with a
rough idle.

Any ideas? I'm pretty ignorant to diagnosing problems and am new to any
type of repair work. Through the life of the car, I've down regular
oil/filter changes myself, and have taken the car to the dealer for a
30k tune-up, but that's all... The recent problems have really got me
wondering... I'm thinking about new plugs/wires and flushing the cooling
system... The ticking noise may be normal? but the loud clacking noise
can not be good....
Old April 21st 04, 01:55 PM
WHL

sounds like it may be an injector going bad or the whole car is seriously
jealous (me too) over the purchase of the SRT-4. you can use a long
screwdriver as a stethoscope to search for the noise. just be careful of
high voltage and moving parts.

om...

Old April 21st 04, 01:55 PM
WHL

sounds like it may be an injector going bad or the whole car is seriously
jealous (me too) over the purchase of the SRT-4. you can use a long
screwdriver as a stethoscope to search for the noise. just be careful of
high voltage and moving parts.

om...

Old April 21st 04, 09:39 PM
Jack Izer

Lifters?

om...

Old April 21st 04, 09:39 PM
Jack Izer

Lifters?

om...

Old April 23rd 04, 08:49 AM
Ken

Anything I can do about lifter-tick?

What about the loud clacking noise?

Old April 23rd 04, 08:49 AM
Ken

Old April 23rd 04, 08:53 AM
Ken

Injectors causes what sound? or are you referring to the "spurts"?

Yeah.. maybe jealousy 'cause the SRT stole its garage space... I love
my SRT-4! But I want my Neon to run well too... It saves me a LOT of gas
money here in California...

Old April 23rd 04, 08:53 AM
Ken

Old April 23rd 04, 01:57 PM
M. Seider

Sometimes they're adjusable, other times not. Rather than opening up the
valve covers first... try a can of oil additive made specifically for this
problem. It *may* work.