What options exist for getting duplicate automobile remotes?

Old August 4th 18, 02:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

Default What options exist for getting duplicate automobile remotes?

On 3 Aug 2018 18:26:22 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> You need the car unlocked and the key in the ignition to program the
> remotes - which doNOT unlock the steering column or allow you to drive
> the car without the (usually chipped) key. The remote doesn't care who
> owns the car - or even who has the remote.

Thanks Clare as you area always spot on correct.

In this case, the key is just a dumb key (I had it checked at Home Depot)
where the remote just unlocks and locks the doors.

It's the two-button remote as shown in this pictu
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7287633keyfob.jpg

The FCC ID is exactly the same, but it doesn't have any related P/N:
https://northcoastkeyless.com/shop/m...a-pn-mr587983/

If the three-button remote works too, that would be a godsend:
http://www.keylessride.com/order/quo...&frid=1A174E90

The reason is that the trunk won't open from the outside, as the key
doesn't open it and the fob doesn't have a button for it. The trunk only
opens right now from the inside of the cabin.

I think that's how we will go, thanks to your suggestions!
1. Buy a handful of 3-button remotes
2. Program them

Seems simple enough thanks to you!
(I have no experience with these things.)
Old August 4th 18, 02:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

On 3 Aug 2018 18:34:40 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> That is for the remote entry fob - NOT the immobilizer key.

I know what you mean because the sister of this kid has a Camry 2005 with
the immobilizer driving her nuts because it goes on constantly.

When I'm done helping with the 2004 Lancer, I may get her some remotes for
her Camry and program them.

> 2 different animals - although some vehicles DO integrate the remote
> entry fob into the head of the key.

My even older bimmer does that.

> The newer cars use RFID to automatically unloch the vehicle when you
> approach, and lock it when you leave, and allow you to start the car
> without a key by pressing the start button.
>
> That is different technology COMPLETELY

Yup. These are older cars.
Old August 4th 18, 02:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

On 3 Aug 2018 18:31:19 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> The "fob" is nopt programmed. It is added to the programming of the
> BCM of the car. You "train" the BCM - you don't "program" the fob.
>
> With some Imobilizer keys you DO need to program the chip on the key.
> On others you can train the ECM to accept the code in the key.
>
> In MANY cases "programming" the key is actually "cloning" the key -
> and if you have a car that has "memory seats" the cloned key will
> always set the seat to the same position as the original, while a key
> "trained" i to the ECM will have it's own settings.

Yup. My bimmer has that per-key "seat memory" too.
Old September 1st 18, 12:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 4 Aug 2018 01:19:13 -0000 (UTC), Arlen
Holder > wrote:

>My first concern, since the trunk doesn't open with the key, is to buy the
>fob that has a trunk button on it, if that will work and try it out.

I was looking for something else and I found this post, from a month
ago, so you probably won't see my answer, and if you do, I probaably
won't see yours. But my email address is good if you remove NONONO.

I too, with a 2005 Toyotal Solara had a problem that it only opened with
the fob or the lever on the floor.

Now I had 2 good fobs, but because it's a convertible, I had to disable
the lever on the floor. I guess the alarm would have gone off if they
climbed over the door or the back and opened the trunk, but the alarm
stops after a short time.

So if I'm out and the fob battery fails, no way to get into the trunk.

So I put in an electric switch, on the dash, that shoud have been there
in the first place. It wasn't that easy. Couuldn't find the wire --
well maybe I could see it but I couldn't reach it -- without removing
the left kickpanel and cutting into two different sheaths, looking for a
white wire. There were two of them so I had to test which one worked.
And I connected a push-button switch to that one and the cig lighter
that is hot when the ignition is on.

I'm really glad I did this.