belt tensioner 1999 Voyager 3.3

Old February 17th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robert Reynolds

Default belt tensioner 1999 Voyager 3.3

I want to remove the belt on my 1999 voyager 3.3, but I don't want to
break anything.

I put a wrench on it and turned it as if tightening the bolt. The
pulley did not move, but the bolt turned a little bit.

If the pulley does not move, is this an indication that it is defective?
If I have to replace the tensioner, I need to remove this bolt to get
to the one that attaches the spring mechanism, right?
Old February 18th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Robert Reynolds" > wrote in message
> I want to remove the belt on my 1999 voyager 3.3, but I don't want to
> break anything.
>
> I put a wrench on it and turned it as if tightening the bolt. The
> pulley did not move, but the bolt turned a little bit.
>
> If the pulley does not move, is this an indication that it is defective?
> If I have to replace the tensioner, I need to remove this bolt to get
> to the one that attaches the spring mechanism, right?

assuming you have the wrench on the pulley bolt and not the tensioner
mounting bolt......I would say if the tensioner does not move it has seized
up and needs replacing now. If you have to replace it yes, you will have to
remove a bolt, this would be the opposite bolt that you are using to release
the tension with. If this tensioner has never been replaced yet I would
recommend doing it now.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old February 18th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robert Reynolds

maxpower wrote:
> "Robert Reynolds" > wrote in message
>> I want to remove the belt on my 1999 voyager 3.3, but I don't want to
>> break anything.
>>
>> I put a wrench on it and turned it as if tightening the bolt. The
>> pulley did not move, but the bolt turned a little bit.
>>
>> If the pulley does not move, is this an indication that it is defective?
>> If I have to replace the tensioner, I need to remove this bolt to get
>> to the one that attaches the spring mechanism, right?

> assuming you have the wrench on the pulley bolt and not the tensioner
> mounting bolt......I would say if the tensioner does not move it has seized
> up and needs replacing now. If you have to replace it yes, you will have to
> remove a bolt, this would be the opposite bolt that you are using to release
> the tension with. If this tensioner has never been replaced yet I would
> recommend doing it now.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

I can't see the tensioner mounting bolt because the pulley apparently is
covering it. The bolt I'm dealing with now is the one in the middle
of the pulley. I think I'll just take the pulley bolt out and see
what's under the pulley.

I'm pretty sure I replaced one of these a few years ago, but it was
different. It had a square hole that you could put a socket wrench into
to release tension.
Old February 18th 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jdoe[_1_]

It's obvious you have no idea what you are actually looking at. I suggest
you take the vehicle to your dealer or trusted mechanic who will use quality
NOT Dayco or other type junk parts on it.

Old February 18th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

no
the tensoner is held on by a 15mm nut behind the assembly it's bolted to
and has to be reached from under vehicle for the quickist job

Old February 18th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robert Reynolds

philthy wrote:
> no
> the tensioner is held on by a 15mm nut behind the assembly it's bolted to
> and has to be reached from under vehicle for the quickist job

Thanks, I appreciate the tip. Now that the weather has warmed up a bit
it's time to get outside and get some work done.
Old February 18th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robert Reynolds

jdoe wrote:
> It's obvious you have no idea what you are actually looking at. I suggest
> you take the vehicle to your dealer or trusted mechanic who will use quality
> NOT Dayco or other type junk parts on it.

You assume a lot. If I had no idea what I was looking at I would not be
fixing my own vehicles.

For the benefit of the many folks who read this group and are subjected
to frequent outbursts such as the above, I'll tell you why I'm asking
"stupid questions".

Obviously I was not there when this vehicle was designed, nor when it
was built, and I'm sure you don't know everything either. Belt
tensioners are extremely simple, but you have to start somewhere. I
could get my information from a service manual, or by simply tearing
into the engine to see what's there, or by chatting with the fine folks
who frequent this group. My usual method is #2, and it works about 90%
of the time, but since there was still sloppy snow on my driveway
yesterday I chose #3 first, partly just to kill time until today.

I was just remembering my days as an aircraft mechanic. It's a federal
law that an aircraft mechanic has to have a service manual open and
available while working on a plane, but when I worked in that field we
used to get most of our information by helping each other. I don't see
anything wrong with that.

Next time you want to know something and you look in your service manual
or, God forbid, ask somebody, remind yourself that you obviously "have
no idea what you are looking at" and that you should seek the help of a
competent professional.
Old February 19th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bllsht

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 10:42:14 -0600, Robert Reynolds >
wrote:

>jdoe wrote:
>> It's obvious you have no idea what you are actually looking at. I suggest
>> you take the vehicle to your dealer or trusted mechanic who will use quality
>> NOT Dayco or other type junk parts on it.

>You assume a lot. If I had no idea what I was looking at I would not be
>fixing my own vehicles.
>
>For the benefit of the many folks who read this group and are subjected
>to frequent outbursts such as the above, I'll tell you why I'm asking
>"stupid questions".
>
>Obviously I was not there when this vehicle was designed, nor when it
>was built, and I'm sure you don't know everything either. Belt
>tensioners are extremely simple, but you have to start somewhere. I
>could get my information from a service manual, or by simply tearing
>into the engine to see what's there, or by chatting with the fine folks
>who frequent this group. My usual method is #2, and it works about 90%
>of the time, but since there was still sloppy snow on my driveway
>yesterday I chose #3 first, partly just to kill time until today.
>
>I was just remembering my days as an aircraft mechanic.

God help us.

Old February 19th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robert Reynolds

bllsht wrote:

> God help us.

So why the hell are you here? Just another one of those "you don't know
what you're doing, you're going to hurt yourself" drones? You people
are ridiculous.
Old February 19th 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jdoe[_1_]

FYI I ddin't say you asked a stupid question. I was ONLY trying to help
youout as if you have not seen this it's quite hard to tell someone on a
forum. I gave you good advice the best I could given your post! So if
youthink otherwise you could just blow it out your ears!