BMWs and iPod Classics

Old June 29th 14, 02:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
really real

Default BMWs and iPod Classics

When we test drove a BMW 381i Touring (wagon) I took along my iPod which
stopped working after one song. The salesman said they were incomparable
with BMWs and suggested I get a newer iPod like a Touch.
This was very bad news as the iPod classics are much bigger than the new
ones and I need space because I put wave files on my iPod to get the
best fidelity.

We ended up getting the sports version of the 381i, with a better sound
system, and my iPod seemed to work. However, on a recent road trip, the
iPod finally started disconnecting.

Fortunately, there was a fix for this, rebooting the iPod by holding
down the middle and menu buttons at the same time until the Apple icon
appeared. I had read on the internet that this would work, though for
some people, it only works for a day. I had to to it twice on a three
week road trip.

The car also comes with a hard drive, but the hard drive only takes
compressed files. The sound system also takes USB sticks but there seems
to be no way to use Shuffle (random) with a stick.

Actually, I can't figure out how to use Shuffle with my iPod but if I
set it to Shuffle before plugging it in, that seems to work.
Old June 29th 14, 04:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
jeanyves

On 2014-06-29 15:52:08 +0200, really real said:

> When we test drove a BMW 381i Touring (wagon) I took along my iPod
> which stopped working after one song. The salesman said they were
> incomparable with BMWs and suggested I get a newer iPod like a Touch.
> This was very bad news as the iPod classics are much bigger than the
> new ones and I need space because I put wave files on my iPod to get
> the best fidelity.
>
> We ended up getting the sports version of the 381i, with a better sound
> system, and my iPod seemed to work. However, on a recent road trip,
> the iPod finally started disconnecting.
>
> Fortunately, there was a fix for this, rebooting the iPod by holding
> down the middle and menu buttons at the same time until the Apple icon
> appeared. I had read on the internet that this would work, though for
> some people, it only works for a day. I had to to it twice on a three
> week road trip.
>
> The car also comes with a hard drive, but the hard drive only takes
> compressed files. The sound system also takes USB sticks but there
> seems to be no way to use Shuffle (random) with a stick.
>
> Actually, I can't figure out how to use Shuffle with my iPod but if I
> set it to Shuffle before plugging it in, that seems to work.

the hard drive is also (very) limited in song capacity : some 12Gb for
2500 compressed songs maximum.
I have no problem with an iphone, and theoretically an ipod classic has
the same 30 pins interface
so ?
there should be an audio input beside the usb input under the driver's arm
you can use it with your ipod, but you will loose the ability to skip
tracks on the steering wheel.

--

Jean-Yves.

Old June 29th 14, 07:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
really real

> the hard drive is also (very) limited in song capacity : some 12Gb for
> 2500 compressed songs maximum.
> I have no problem with an iphone, and theoretically an ipod classic has
> the same 30 pins interface
> so ?
> there should be an audio input beside the usb input under the driver's arm
> you can use it with your ipod, but you will loose the ability to skip
> tracks on the steering wheel.

My iPhone works fine on bluetooth, but bluetooth sound is compressed.

Plugging in an iPhone directly is no better than plugging in an iPod
Touch. They only hold 64gb

An iPod Classic holds more than twice as much, 160 GB.

I actually use modified iPod Classics that hold 240 GB because someone
puts a bigger hard drive into them. You can buy them on ebay

I have several BMWs for sale TexasDiva BMW 2 February 6th 08 07:28 PM
BMWs rule! [email protected] BMW 9 June 29th 06 11:13 PM
Why MS Windows Should NOT be in BMWs ted BMW 9 January 28th 05 07:05 PM
Need more information on E36 and E30 BMWs Lukasz A Kaczmarek BMW 5 December 11th 04 09:49 PM
BMWs on sale FarDale BMW 2 November 2nd 04 02:41 AM