NY State Inspection Emissions Failure

Old March 7th 05, 01:02 AM
HrseyCar

Default NY State Inspection Emissions Failure

The night before I was to bring in my '98 Explorer for state inspection
my check engine light came on. I corrected the problem and cleared the
code and re-set the MIL light.
The next morning the car failed due to OBD Monitor Readiness Status:
Catalyst, Evaporative System and EGR System "Not Ready". Question:
When the code was cleared and the MIL re-set did that also re-set the
status of these monitors? From what I have found out so far, there are
certain driving conditions that must be met for these tests to be
performed. 3 days later I put an Autoray EZ-Read 1000 Code Reader on
the car and ran the Monitor Option Menu to read the "Readiness Tests'.
The 3 in question all showed a "Completed" status. Does this mean the
OBD Monitor Readiness Status for these 3 tests are now "Ready" and the
car will pass inspection?

Thanks for the help.
Rob

Old March 7th 05, 04:36 AM
Jim Warman

Ahhh, the html is gone...

When you reset the codes on your car, you cleared part of the Keep Alive
Memory and generated a P1000. This code indicates that not all of the
systems monitors have completed (obviously, there was a problem and the
codes were cleared and now the monitors have to run their program). A
problem with one system can affect the performance of other systems....
thusly, clearing codes resets all the monitors back to "not ready". Some
monitors take longer than others to complete... sometimes even over several
drive cycles.

It is possible that all the monitors completed in the 3 days you describe...
I live in a cold climate and it can take a long time for the EVAP monitor to
complete.I am not familiar with the tool you describe, but if it says that
all the monitors have completed, I have no reason to doubt it. On our tools,
we would access mode 6 data and this would tell us which monitors haven't
completed and give us an indication of why they haven't.

HTH