PT- Does "Service Engine" light have to be on???

Old August 8th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
tomkanpa

Default PT- Does "Service Engine" light have to be on???

Does it have to be on to leave a code for a possible reason for very
bad mpg? Usually 16 in city, 15 with AC on, now down to 13 with AC on.
New plugs, clean air filter, correct tire pressure, all things done as
suggested in this group. Just about 40K on it.
I'm taking it in for PA state inspections and I asked them to see if
there's a code in the computer for the bad mpg. They said that if the
Check Engine light didn't come on, there will be no code.
True??

Old August 8th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"tomkanpa" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does it have to be on to leave a code for a possible reason for very
> bad mpg? Usually 16 in city, 15 with AC on, now down to 13 with AC on.
> New plugs, clean air filter, correct tire pressure, all things done as
> suggested in this group. Just about 40K on it.
> I'm taking it in for PA state inspections and I asked them to see if
> there's a code in the computer for the bad mpg. They said that if the
> Check Engine light didn't come on, there will be no code.
> True??

True. With the a/c running you will not get as good fuel economy as you
would if it were off.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 8th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
tomkanpa

maxpower wrote:
> "tomkanpa" > wrote in message

<SNIPPED FOR BREVITY>

Usually 16 in city, 15 with AC on, now down to 13 with AC on.

<SNIPPED FOR BREVITY>

> True. With the a/c running you will not get as good fuel economy as you
> would if it were off.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

____Reply Separator_____

I know this Glenn, but in my original post I did say that I was getting
15 mpg with the AC on, and now it's down to 13. Plus, I've had some "so
called" engine maintenance done.

Old August 8th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"tomkanpa" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> maxpower wrote:
> > "tomkanpa" > wrote in message

> <SNIPPED FOR BREVITY>
>
> Usually 16 in city, 15 with AC on, now down to 13 with AC on.
>
> <SNIPPED FOR BREVITY>
> >
> > True. With the a/c running you will not get as good fuel economy as you
> > would if it were off.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> ____Reply Separator_____
>
> I know this Glenn, but in my original post I did say that I was getting
> 15 mpg with the AC on, and now it's down to 13. Plus, I've had some "so
> called" engine maintenance done.

There really isn't much maintenence on that vehicle that could cause a
problem if it wasn't done right except maybe a plug gap not correct but then
I would think that the OBD2 system would pick it up and set the check engine
lite on. There are monitors on that vehicle that PA's Emission Program will
check when you go thru emissions. If one of those monitors has not passed
they will let you know.

Glenn

"service engine soon" light stang47 Ford Mustang 2 June 17th 06 03:08 AM
Check light / Check engine light nichdl1 BMW 2 June 8th 06 10:39 PM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
The increasing stress of driving Alexander Rogge Driving 17 July 14th 05 05:48 AM
Poorly setup stop light Paul Driving 7 May 19th 05 10:25 PM