Hum after rear-end gear change

Old July 30th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
88 Mustang GT Conv.

Default Hum after rear-end gear change

I'm coming to all of you as the experts.

I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
60-90 KM / Hr.

I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
and should be ignored.

Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.

The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
little cost.

I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
annoying.

Thanks in advance,
Marc
Old July 30th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
88 Mustang GT Conv.

On Jul 30, 8:29*am, "88 Mustang GT Conv." >
wrote:
> I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>
> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
> 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
> which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
> 60-90 KM / Hr.
>
> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
> and should be ignored.
>
> Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>
> The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
> work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
> little cost.
>
> I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
> annoying.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc

Just thinking that it SHOULDN'T be normal....sorry
Old July 30th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Jul 30, 12:29 pm, "88 Mustang GT Conv." >
wrote:
> I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>
> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
> 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
> which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
> 60-90 KM / Hr.
>
> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
> and should be ignored.
>
> Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>
> The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
> work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
> little cost.
>
> I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
> annoying.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc

Doesn't sound normal to me... Some gears do whine more than others,
but by your brief description I get the feeling you are getting more
than normal.... Might want to get a second opinion from a reputable
gear shop if you have one in town...
Old July 30th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:
> I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>
> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
> 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
> which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
> 60-90 KM / Hr.
>
> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
> and should be ignored.
>
> Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>
> The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
> work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
> little cost.
>
> I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
> annoying.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc

He's correct in that it is a fairly normal occurrence after new
gears are installed and not properly adjusted. That's why gear
replacement is something I had done, proper adjustment is critical and
not very easy.

--

TEACHER: Harold, what do you call a person who keeps on
talking when people are no longer interested?

HAROLD: A teacher
Old July 30th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Take the car back and tell him to fix it. Gears don't whine when
properly installed. Also, after he fixes this problem find yourself a
new mechanic.

Old July 30th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Jul 30, 10:51*am, Michael Johnson > wrote:
> Take the car back and tell him to fix it. *Gears don't whine when
> properly installed. *Also, after he fixes this problem find yourself a
> new mechanic.
>
> 88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:
>

> > I'm coming to all of you as the experts.

> > I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
> > 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
> > which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
> > 60-90 KM / Hr.

> > I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
> > and should be ignored.

> > Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.

> > The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
> > work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
> > little cost.

> > I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
> > annoying.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Marc- Hide quoted text -

I had 3.55 gears and trac loc put in my 69 coupe over 3 years ago. The
entire rear end was custom built by a shop that builds ford 9" rears
all the time for drag racing. So I know they know what they are doing.
They test drove it. I drove it home 300 miles. I drive it maybe couple
times a month in the summer time. Its made the whining sound ever
since they were put in over 3 years ago. They work great. Its more
noticable on the highway ofcourse. Im thinking that its fairly normal
for aftermarket gears. Ive never had a problem.
Old July 30th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

wrote:
> On Jul 30, 10:51 am, Michael Johnson > wrote:
>> Take the car back and tell him to fix it. Gears don't whine when
>> properly installed. Also, after he fixes this problem find yourself a
>> new mechanic.
>>
>> 88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:
>>

>>> I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>>> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
>>> 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
>>> which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
>>> 60-90 KM / Hr.
>>> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
>>> and should be ignored.
>>> Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>>> The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
>>> work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
>>> little cost.
>>> I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
>>> annoying.
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Marc- Hide quoted text -

> I had 3.55 gears and trac loc put in my 69 coupe over 3 years ago. The
> entire rear end was custom built by a shop that builds ford 9" rears
> all the time for drag racing. So I know they know what they are doing.
> They test drove it. I drove it home 300 miles. I drive it maybe couple
> times a month in the summer time. Its made the whining sound ever
> since they were put in over 3 years ago. They work great. Its more
> noticable on the highway ofcourse. Im thinking that its fairly normal
> for aftermarket gears. Ive never had a problem.

I had a set of 3.55s installed in my car and have never heard a peep out
of them. This is the way it should be for an 8.8 rear, IMO. Some whine
doesn't mean impending doom but it is typically an indication that
something is off to some degree. It is easy to tell if gears are not
wearing properly by looking at the wear patterns on the teeth.
Old July 30th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Michael Johnson wrote:
> Take the car back and tell him to fix it. Gears don't whine when
> properly installed. Also, after he fixes this problem find yourself a
> new mechanic.

The common thought, but I would be reluctant. I am very very picky
about by whom and how my Mustang is worked on (all my cars really) and
I'm not sure I'd want a half-ass like that going into it a second time.
What *I* would do is ask people that know, car clubs or at a race track
and get it readjusted then dispute the charge on my credit card. Go back
to the guy with proof that proper alignment fixed the problem and and
make him cut the bill in half at least. If he fails to comply I'd tell
him I was disputing the charge and taking him to small claims. He will
probably change his mind as long as you have proof that realigning the
gears fixed it and that is actually true. One has to assume you could
get a defective set of gears that is noisy and maybe it will go away,
maybe it won't. No car that I've had a gear replacement done to made
noise afterward.

Old July 30th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

wrote:
> On Jul 30, 10:51 am, Michael Johnson > wrote:
>> Take the car back and tell him to fix it. Gears don't whine when
>> properly installed. Also, after he fixes this problem find yourself a
>> new mechanic.
>>
>> 88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:
>>

>>> I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>>> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
>>> 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
>>> which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
>>> 60-90 KM / Hr.
>>> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
>>> and should be ignored.
>>> Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>>> The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
>>> work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
>>> little cost.
>>> I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
>>> annoying.
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Marc- Hide quoted text -

> I had 3.55 gears and trac loc put in my 69 coupe over 3 years ago. The
> entire rear end was custom built by a shop that builds ford 9" rears
> all the time for drag racing. So I know they know what they are doing.
> They test drove it. I drove it home 300 miles. I drive it maybe couple
> times a month in the summer time. Its made the whining sound ever
> since they were put in over 3 years ago. They work great. Its more
> noticable on the highway ofcourse. Im thinking that its fairly normal
> for aftermarket gears. Ive never had a problem.

I have to wonder if the difference was the rear ends. I've never had
an 8.8 do what you are talking about, but the 9" rear is different with
the removable snoot, correct? The only car I have ever owned that made a
noise from the rear end was a 73 Charger that had the 8 3/4 rear that
also has the removable snooty on the front.

gear change Paul J. Veres Dodge 0 June 4th 07 01:18 PM
GEAR NOB CHANGE cama via CarKB.com Alfa Romeo 2 March 22nd 06 06:39 PM
gear change over Mr.~G. Ford Mustang 5 September 9th 05 07:39 PM
Rear gear change in '91 5point0 Ford Mustang 5 February 11th 05 03:24 PM
Gear change and Air Con Ballymoney Alfa Romeo 3 October 3rd 04 08:40 AM