1994 Dodge Caravan 3.3 loss of power/backfires

Old June 25th 05, 02:35 AM
wildside1975

Default 1994 Dodge Caravan 3.3 loss of power/backfires

I have a 1994 dodge van with a 3.3 engine. It runs fine for about an
hour, then once it gets up to operating temp then it backfires through
the intake, spits and sputters and has no acceleration. Recently
replaced the fuel pump, new spark plug wires, and coil pack.I tried
loosening the gas cap and driving to see if it was possibly vapor
locking. The codes we have are 12, 21 and 55. This mostly seems to
occur when it sits and gets hot, but the temp gauge doesn’t rise, so I
don’t think it is overheating. It drives fine for awhile and then
starts dying. If I shut it off and let it sit for about an hour it
goes away. Any ideas of what else to try??

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-1...ict126048.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=614273
Old June 25th 05, 10:30 AM
maxpower

"wildside1975" > wrote in message
news:1_614273_68fb111310d5431a16593e258aba0e92@aut oforumz.com...
> I have a 1994 dodge van with a 3.3 engine. It runs fine for about an
> hour, then once it gets up to operating temp then it backfires through
> the intake, spits and sputters and has no acceleration. Recently
> replaced the fuel pump, new spark plug wires, and coil pack.I tried
> loosening the gas cap and driving to see if it was possibly vapor
> locking. The codes we have are 12, 21 and 55. This mostly seems to
> occur when it sits and gets hot, but the temp gauge doesn't rise, so I
> don't think it is overheating. It drives fine for awhile and then
> starts dying. If I shut it off and let it sit for about an hour it
> goes away. Any ideas of what else to try??
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
> Topic URL:

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-1...ict126048.html

http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=614273

The 21 is an 02 sensor fault, but wont cause it to die out and shut off,
start with checking your fuel pressure. If you loose pressure while driving
it will slowly start losing power, backfiring and then could just shut down
until the pump cools off.
This fuel pump that you said you replaced..........was it an aftermarket
pump???

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old June 25th 05, 11:05 AM
Mike

Try running some good injector cleaner through it.

Old February 3rd 14, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Jerry Mason

replying to wildside1975 , Jerry Mason wrote:
> UseLinkToEmail wrote:
>
> I have a 1994 dodge van with a 3.3 engine. It runs fine for about an
> hour, then once it gets up to operating temp then it backfires through
> the intake, spits and sputters and has no acceleration. Recently
> replaced the fuel pump, new spark plug wires, and coil pack.I tried
> loosening the gas cap and driving to see if it was possibly vapor
> locking. The codes we have are 12, 21 and 55. This mostly seems to
> occur when it sits and gets hot, but the temp gauge doesn�t rise, so I
> don�t think it is overheating. It drives fine for awhile and then
> starts dying. If I shut it off and let it sit for about an hour it
> goes away. Any ideas of what else to try??

I have the same problem. And did almost the exact same procedures you have
done. Now, I have found rainy weather increased the problem and severity.
Have your gas tank inspected to see if it is rusting on top or the filler neck
is leaking. This will cause water to be splashed into the tank either from
above or at the rubber grommet on the filler neck. You will also probably
notice excessive fuel consumption.

Water clogs fuel filters. Clogged fuel filters work fine until pressure gets
to the point that not enough fuel can be delivered causing hesitation and loss
of power. The backfiring is a side effect of this process and is noticeable
especially as you press further on the gas pedal and attempt to climb hills.
Sometimes the TPS switch can cause this effect, but usually does not correct
itself as water in the gas usually does after sitting and cooling. Also MAP
sensor causes this surging, so look for cracked and damaged wiring first. A
new MAP sensor is about $80.

Try the following steps and see if you improve your situation.

1. Replace your fuel filter first

2. Fill up with good high octane gasoline and add a bottle of injector
cleaner or fuel line antifreeze.

3. Repeat additives for the next fuel fill up. The problem should clear up
and possible be relieved at this time. Also, if your tank or filler is in bad
shape as the age of the vehicle may indicate, I replaced it with a used one
because the mechanic could not get a new one to fit the filler tube. You
could see gas pour out when half filled.

Good luck. Many mechanics and dealers wanted me to spend thousands and it is
only a few hundred including the tank and labor. Finding the fuel filter
problem came because replacing the tank also may have caused sediment in the
fuel line to exasperate the problem.

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/chrysler/...res-31135-.htm

Old February 14th 18, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Mine is doing same as the guy above except not throwing coats at all and it sounds like it’s missing now... it sat for 2 months and was fixed and going again any idea what’s wrong