Top Speed of an 06 6 cylinder Manual Mustang

Old July 21st 09, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
C. E. White[_1_]

Default Top Speed of an 06 6 cylinder Manual Mustang

I am interested in an estimate of the top speed of the following
version of a 2006 Mustang Coupe with the 4.0L V6 and a manual
transmission. Assume the base model -

1) As delivered. I assume Ford included a speed limit in the PCM
2) With a chip that removes the speed limit
3) With a chip, free flowing duals (cat back), and a K&N intake.

Would this last combo actually be able to exceed 120 mph?

Ed

Old July 21st 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Bob Willard

C. E. White wrote:
> I am interested in an estimate of the top speed of the following
> version of a 2006 Mustang Coupe with the 4.0L V6 and a manual
> transmission. Assume the base model -
>
> 1) As delivered. I assume Ford included a speed limit in the PCM
> 2) With a chip that removes the speed limit
> 3) With a chip, free flowing duals (cat back), and a K&N intake.
>
> Would this last combo actually be able to exceed 120 mph?
>
> Ed

Make sure your tires are good for whatever speed your car can do,
plus a margin of safety. In earlier years, Ford limited the speed
of some Mustangs because the factory installed low-speed tires.

{Since the W-rated tires currently on my bone-stock '98 GT are
rated for 168 MPH, I'm relatively safe. :-) }
--
Cheers, Bob
Old July 21st 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
C. E. White[_1_]

"Bob Willard" > wrote in message
> C. E. White wrote:
>> I am interested in an estimate of the top speed of the following
>> version of a 2006 Mustang Coupe with the 4.0L V6 and a manual
>> transmission. Assume the base model -
>>
>> 1) As delivered. I assume Ford included a speed limit in the PCM
>> 2) With a chip that removes the speed limit
>> 3) With a chip, free flowing duals (cat back), and a K&N intake.
>>
>> Would this last combo actually be able to exceed 120 mph?
>>
>> Ed

> Make sure your tires are good for whatever speed your car can do,
> plus a margin of safety. In earlier years, Ford limited the speed
> of some Mustangs because the factory installed low-speed tires.
>
> {Since the W-rated tires currently on my bone-stock '98 GT are
> rated for 168 MPH, I'm relatively safe. :-) }

This is just theoretical, so assume the car has GT tires....

Ed

Old July 21st 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Jul 21, 12:16 pm, "C. E. White" >
wrote:
> I am interested in an estimate of the top speed of the following
> version of a 2006 Mustang Coupe with the 4.0L V6 and a manual
> transmission. Assume the base model -
>
> 1) As delivered. I assume Ford included a speed limit in the PCM
> 2) With a chip that removes the speed limit
> 3) With a chip, free flowing duals (cat back), and a K&N intake.
>
> Would this last combo actually be able to exceed 120 mph?
>
> Ed

As delivered from Ford the V6 is limited to 113 MPH... You don't put a
"chip" in this car. You will need to buy a handheld tuner and reflash
the car. Most of these will either remove the limiter or allow you to
raid the limit. The car should easily be able to hit 120 MPH...

Besides making sure you have the properly rated tires, I would also be
leery of the stock drive shaft... they are pretty much junk... They
vibrate like crazy.... also I don't remember exactly when Ford
switched but the early drive shafts did NOT use C-clips to hold the u-
joints in... instead they were staked in... but eventually the stakes
would give way any the drive shafts would come apart... which is very
bad thing to happen at 120 MPH... luckily the ones I know of were all
on the dyno... but still caused a fair amount of damage...

Even if you drive shaft is clipped I would still recommend an after
market drive shaft if you plan on doing a lot of high speed
driving.... I couldn't keep a rear pinion seal in my car until i
replaced mine...

Old July 24th 09, 07:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
columbotrek

John S. wrote:
> On Jul 21, 12:16 pm, "C. E. White" >
> wrote:
>> I am interested in an estimate of the top speed of the following
>> version of a 2006 Mustang Coupe with the 4.0L V6 and a manual
>> transmission. Assume the base model -
>>
>> 1) As delivered. I assume Ford included a speed limit in the PCM
>> 2) With a chip that removes the speed limit
>> 3) With a chip, free flowing duals (cat back), and a K&N intake.
>>
>> Would this last combo actually be able to exceed 120 mph?
>>
>> Ed

> As delivered from Ford the V6 is limited to 113 MPH... You don't put a
> "chip" in this car. You will need to buy a handheld tuner and reflash
> the car. Most of these will either remove the limiter or allow you to
> raid the limit. The car should easily be able to hit 120 MPH...
>
> Besides making sure you have the properly rated tires, I would also be
> leery of the stock drive shaft... they are pretty much junk... They
> vibrate like crazy.... also I don't remember exactly when Ford
> switched but the early drive shafts did NOT use C-clips to hold the u-
> joints in... instead they were staked in... but eventually the stakes
> would give way any the drive shafts would come apart... which is very
> bad thing to happen at 120 MPH... luckily the ones I know of were all
> on the dyno... but still caused a fair amount of damage...
>
> Even if you drive shaft is clipped I would still recommend an after
> market drive shaft if you plan on doing a lot of high speed
> driving.... I couldn't keep a rear pinion seal in my car until i
> replaced mine...

Interesting comments. Is the drive shaft on the GT the same as on the
V6? I have had my S197 GT upwards of 130 on a couple occasions and not
a hint of any vibration at all.
Old July 24th 09, 11:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Jul 24, 6:06 am, columbotrek > wrote:
> John S. wrote:
> > On Jul 21, 12:16 pm, "C. E. White" >
> > wrote:
> >> I am interested in an estimate of the top speed of the following
> >> version of a 2006 Mustang Coupe with the 4.0L V6 and a manual
> >> transmission. Assume the base model -

> >> 1) As delivered. I assume Ford included a speed limit in the PCM
> >> 2) With a chip that removes the speed limit
> >> 3) With a chip, free flowing duals (cat back), and a K&N intake.

> >> Would this last combo actually be able to exceed 120 mph?

> >> Ed

> > As delivered from Ford the V6 is limited to 113 MPH... You don't put a
> > "chip" in this car. You will need to buy a handheld tuner and reflash
> > the car. Most of these will either remove the limiter or allow you to
> > raid the limit. The car should easily be able to hit 120 MPH...

> > Besides making sure you have the properly rated tires, I would also be
> > leery of the stock drive shaft... they are pretty much junk... They
> > vibrate like crazy.... also I don't remember exactly when Ford
> > switched but the early drive shafts did NOT use C-clips to hold the u-
> > joints in... instead they were staked in... but eventually the stakes
> > would give way any the drive shafts would come apart... which is very
> > bad thing to happen at 120 MPH... luckily the ones I know of were all
> > on the dyno... but still caused a fair amount of damage...

> > Even if you drive shaft is clipped I would still recommend an after
> > market drive shaft if you plan on doing a lot of high speed
> > driving.... I couldn't keep a rear pinion seal in my car until i
> > replaced mine...

> Interesting comments. Is the drive shaft on the GT the same as on the
> V6? I have had my S197 GT upwards of 130 on a couple occasions and not
> a hint of any vibration at all.

Nope, GT and V6 are very different driveshafts... the V6 one is a
POS....
Old July 27th 09, 07:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"John S." > wrote in message ...
> On Jul 24, 6:06 am, columbotrek > wrote:
> > John S. wrote:

> > > As delivered from Ford the V6 is limited to 113 MPH... You don't put a
> > > "chip" in this car. You will need to buy a handheld tuner and reflash
> > > the car. Most of these will either remove the limiter or allow you to
> > > raid the limit. The car should easily be able to hit 120 MPH...

> > > Besides making sure you have the properly rated tires, I would also be
> > > leery of the stock drive shaft... they are pretty much junk... They
> > > vibrate like crazy.... also I don't remember exactly when Ford
> > > switched but the early drive shafts did NOT use C-clips to hold the u-
> > > joints in... instead they were staked in... but eventually the stakes
> > > would give way any the drive shafts would come apart... which is very
> > > bad thing to happen at 120 MPH... luckily the ones I know of were all
> > > on the dyno... but still caused a fair amount of damage...

> > > Even if you drive shaft is clipped I would still recommend an after
> > > market drive shaft if you plan on doing a lot of high speed
> > > driving.... I couldn't keep a rear pinion seal in my car until i
> > > replaced mine...

> > Interesting comments. Is the drive shaft on the GT the same as on the
> > V6? I have had my S197 GT upwards of 130 on a couple occasions and not
> > a hint of any vibration at all.

> Nope, GT and V6 are very different driveshafts... the V6 one is a
> POS....

Absolutely correct. You'll begin feeling vibrations in a V6 at
something around 95-100 mph, and it quickly gets worse.

Another problem in the V6 is, at these speeds the car will start
to feel very light and will begin to drift, and if you correct too
quickly or in the wrong direction, well, it's called natural
selection I think.

Old July 27th 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

lid wrote:
> "John S." > wrote in message
>> On Jul 24, 6:06 am, columbotrek >
>> wrote:

>>> Interesting comments. Is the drive shaft on the GT the same as on
>>> the V6? I have had my S197 GT upwards of 130 on a couple
>>> occasions and not a hint of any vibration at all.

>> Nope, GT and V6 are very different driveshafts... the V6 one is a
>> POS....

> Absolutely correct. You'll begin feeling vibrations in a V6 at
> something around 95-100 mph, and it quickly gets worse.
>
> Another problem in the V6 is, at these speeds the car will start
> to feel very light and will begin to drift, and if you correct too
> quickly or in the wrong direction, well, it's called natural
> selection I think.

I suppose some of the V6s vibrated, but not mine (2006 convertible
automatic), and with the BamaChips tune it was not top-speed limited
at 113. It was stlll accelerating at 130 (5300 in 4th) when I
chickened out.

As for the drift: even before shocks, springs, and sways were
upgraded, no drift. The Classic front chin spoiler and lack of rear
spoiler other than a "lip" may have had something to do with that.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/233/4...36e9ecca_o.jpg

Old July 27th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Frank ess" > wrote in message ...
> lid wrote:
> > "John S." > wrote in message

> >> Nope, GT and V6 are very different driveshafts... the V6 one is a
> >> POS....

> > Absolutely correct. You'll begin feeling vibrations in a V6 at
> > something around 95-100 mph, and it quickly gets worse.
> >
> > Another problem in the V6 is, at these speeds the car will start
> > to feel very light and will begin to drift, and if you correct too
> > quickly or in the wrong direction, well, it's called natural
> > selection I think.

> I suppose some of the V6s vibrated, but not mine (2006 convertible
> automatic), and with the BamaChips tune it was not top-speed limited
> at 113. It was stlll accelerating at 130 (5300 in 4th) when I
> chickened out.

The V6 driveshaft is rated to 115 mph. It's pure luck whether
it blows at speeds above that. I'd certainly not recommend it.

> As for the drift: even before shocks, springs, and sways were
> upgraded, no drift. The Classic front chin spoiler and lack of rear
> spoiler other than a "lip" may have had something to do with that.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/233/4...36e9ecca_o.jpg

Maybe, but again we're talking (I think) about factory stock.
I've had mine up to 110 mph and the drift was starting to get
scary.

Old July 27th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Jul 27, 4:48 pm, > wrote:
> "Frank ess" > wrote in messagenews:7MydnS4YQPiDT_DXnZ2dnUVZ_uednZ2d@gigan ews.com...
> > wrote:

> > > Absolutely correct. You'll begin feeling vibrations in a V6 at
> > > something around 95-100 mph, and it quickly gets worse.

> > > Another problem in the V6 is, at these speeds the car will start
> > > to feel very light and will begin to drift, and if you correct too
> > > quickly or in the wrong direction, well, it's called natural
> > > selection I think.

> > I suppose some of the V6s vibrated, but not mine (2006 convertible
> > automatic), and with the BamaChips tune it was not top-speed limited
> > at 113. It was stlll accelerating at 130 (5300 in 4th) when I
> > chickened out.

> The V6 driveshaft is rated to 115 mph. It's pure luck whether
> it blows at speeds above that. I'd certainly not recommend it.
>
> > As for the drift: even before shocks, springs, and sways were
> > upgraded, no drift. The Classic front chin spoiler and lack of rear
> > spoiler other than a "lip" may have had something to do with that.

> >http://farm1.static.flickr.com/233/4...36e9ecca_o.jpg

> Maybe, but again we're talking (I think) about factory stock.
> I've had mine up to 110 mph and the drift was starting to get
> scary.

agree... I was trapping at 107 MPH and the front end definitely did
not instill confidence... especially with the hood doing a little
dance! LOL!

Now, my new V6 Camaro is a BOAT but the front end and hood are
incredibly stable although I'm only trapping about 95MPH... LOL