Is the Chrysler 3.5 engine any good?

Old April 3rd 16, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KC[_4_]

Default Is the Chrysler 3.5 engine any good?

replying to General Schvantzkoph, KC wrote:
I have a 99 , 300 m with 159,650 miles on it. Have had some issues with other
area's in this car. First two years it was flat beded in five times . Spent
more time at the dealership being repaired in the first two years! Numerous
other issues too. Last week driving at 55mph I started hearing this terrible
noise coming from under the hood . Took it to a local repair shop and found
out it has spun a bearing and atleast one if not more pistons are hitting the
cylinder head. Any used engine put back in it would be a big gamble and
probably throwing money away ! Still has other issues that needed to be looked
at and repaired. Definitely not very dependable !

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/chrysler/...ood-15458-.htm

Old April 3rd 16, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve Stone[_5_]

On 4/2/2016 10:18 PM, KC wrote:
> replying to General Schvantzkoph, KC wrote:
> I have a 99 , 300 m with 159,650 miles on it. Have had some issues with
> other
> area's in this car. First two years it was flat beded in five times . Spent
> more time at the dealership being repaired in the first two years! Numerous
> other issues too. Last week driving at 55mph I started hearing this
> terrible
> noise coming from under the hood . Took it to a local repair shop and found
> out it has spun a bearing and atleast one if not more pistons are
> hitting the
> cylinder head. Any used engine put back in it would be a big gamble and
> probably throwing money away ! Still has other issues that needed to be
> looked
> at and repaired. Definitely not very dependable !

Wow, 159,000 miles and it finally wore out.
Did you use synthetic oil or regular oil? Did you do oil changes on
schedule?
Just trying to anticipate what to look forward to since I am the
original owner of a 2000 3ooM with 42,000 miles.

STeve

Old April 3rd 16, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve Stone[_5_]

Quote:

I don't claim to be an expert and this is just my opinion.
I've been in the automotive industry for the last 30 plus
years and learn something new every day.

I've had a fair amount of experience with the chrysler 2.7 ,
3.2 and 3.5 in their LH body cars.

I had a 2.7L , my personal car , seize up at an idle with no warning.
These are known for consuming coolant and it was my fault for not
fixing that problem , which led to the engine failure.

Back to the original thread topic . It seems as if Chrysler was after
some additional fuel mileage and HP when they built the 2nd gen.
3.5L engines. I have a 183,000 mile 3.5 that I put a set of rod brgs
in at 172,000. I had just purchased the vehicle and noticed an ever
so slight knock on start up only. After pulling the pan and looking at
the bearings , only the upper half was just starting to see copper, the
bottom half looked good for the miles.
If you look at the bearing width vs. the crank journal and conn. rod
width , Chrysler could have very easily used a bearing .100 wider to
help with the load carrying capacity, but that causes more rotating
friction. I'd rather give up 1 mpg than have to think about loosing
the bottom end.
I had nothing to loose but my time and the cost of a set of rod bearings
, so I polished it up and put it back together.
Now just a little more rambling,,,,,
- People think their doing a good job by going to a quick lube every
3000 miles . The oil they use it the cheapest crap they can buy !!
I'm not here to sell oil but you get what you pay for " most of the
time" do your homework , even some of the top advertised synthetics
aren't that great.
- Run a premium oil filter
- And from my own experience , when you have " ANY " amount of
coolant consumption , address it immediately.
I honestly believe because they have a weaker than average bottom
end that all of the above is super critical.
Again , Just my humble opinion and to end on a positive note , if I
didn't enjoy driving my car and I really do , I'd never put this kind of
work into it.

http://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/3...9-04-lh-18201/
Old April 3rd 16, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve Stone[_5_]

You might like this link too:

http://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27345

3.5 Engine Connecting Rod Bearing Information/ Analysis
Old April 3rd 16, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Um, Steve -

Did you notice that "KC" started this thread on Saturday- by replying to
a post made in 2004?

Steve Stone wrote:

> Wow, 159,000 miles and it finally wore out.
> Did you use synthetic oil or regular oil? Did you do oil changes on
> schedule?
> Just trying to anticipate what to look forward to since I am the
> original owner of a 2000 3ooM with 42,000 miles.

I own a 2000 Chrysler 300m - bought it new back in November 1999.

It has 133k miles on it. In 2012 or 2013 I took it to a dealer to
replace the timing belt - because it was the original belt and it was
10+ years old and if that belt breaks then the engine is toast.
Otherwise the engine was in perfect shape. I had the timing belt idler
pulley, the water pump and a few seals changed as part of the same job
because why not - since all the labor cost was already covered to get to
the timing belt.

The engine is otherwise trouble free in 16 years. Had to replace 1
spark-plug ignition coil. Had to replace the front exhaust couplers
(the semi-flexible joint after the cat convertors) and the exhaust
resonator (where the 2 exhaust pipes join into a single pipe, sort of
looks like a muffler). Otherwise all original exhaust components remain
in place, including the muffler (bottom surface is peppered with holes
but they don't seem to make a difference).

Just make sure you change the gear oil (differential fluid) every once
in while. The 300m transaxle has it's own oil sump, takes a liter of
SAE 90 oil (don't use synthetic!). Other cars lubricate the transaxle
with transmission fluid - which is lame.

Never had anything done with the transmission. Even tranny oil is
original!

Car gets 28 to 30 mpg on the highway at 65 - 70 mph.

Never had anything done to fuel system (original injectors, original
fuel pump, original fuel filter, etc).

Suspension is where the focus is on the 300m (and probably all LH-body
cars). I've replaced all 4 struts (with complete replacements, known as
"quick-strut" units, fully assembled). Unless you drive on very flat
and well-maintained roads you're going to have to replace the front sway
bar bushings every 4 years or live with a knocking sound from the front
wheels.

I've replaced all 4 wheel bearings (because why not if the price is
right). Have replaced the sway bar links once or twice. I've replaced
one of the lower control arms and torsion strut rod and bushings, going
to do the same on the other side soon. Still using original outer tie
rods but I'm going to be replacing the inner tie rod bushings (because
these wear out and I assume mine has). Probably buy the entire rods and
ends because they're cheap enough (Rock Auto).

One stupid problem I have is that over the past 3 years I've been
getting less and less heat out of the heater. Heater core getting
plugged up seems to be a chronic problem in LH cars. I'll try to flush
the **** out of it when I work on the inner tie rod bushings (need to
remove the hood and cross-piece thing to do that, and that gives me
access to heater hoses at the firewall).

Other than the timing belt, I do all the work on this car myself.

Door speakers wear out (cone separates from frame) and I've used epoxy
to repair it, but it doesn't last.

I bought a set of after-market head lights from china or singapore a few
months ago (Eagle Eyes, from ebay) for $80 (came with light bulbs) and
wow, crystal clear head lights make the car look new again!

So yes, the 3.5 engine is fantastic. I should have bought another
chrysler 300m back in 2004 and just kept it in a box for when my 2000
car finally wears out. I do not like anything that anyone's making now,
and I've always hated the bloated, boxy and heavy 300c that Chrysler
replaced the 300m with in 2005.
Old April 3rd 16, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve Stone[_5_]

On 4/3/2016 12:50 PM, MoPar Man wrote:
> Um, Steve -
>
> Did you notice that "KC" started this thread on Saturday- by replying to
> a post made in 2004?

No... but now I do.. duh on my end.

Steve

Old February 16th 17, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_134_]

replying to KC, Joe wrote:
You garage is ripping you off if that's what they told you!
A "spun bearing" won't cause the pistons to hit the valves.....highway robbery!

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/chrysler/...ood-15458-.htm

Old March 12th 17, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jackson

replying to Joe, jackson wrote:
A spun rod bearing most certainly will allow the piston to kiss the cylinder
head. I'm a retired mechanic, 45 years in the trade

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/chrysler/...ood-15458-.htm

Old December 11th 17, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Trunx wikid

replying to Steve Stone, Trunx wikid wrote:
2001 300M with 260k Miles a hole in exhaust, very very minor body rust, no
engine issues what so ever, 3k Synthetic LOFs no sludge i LOVE IT!!!!

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/chrysler/...ood-15458-.htm

Old June 1st 18, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Richard[_23_]

replying to Steve Stone, Richard wrote:
Quite agree Steve, spot on advice re oil, and the weak bottom end....a basic
engineering design fault, to not provide a shade more bearing width, and the
extra drag too minimal to shave even 1 mpg off the standard. It is staggering
to see a team of Chrysler design engineers so incompetent as to provide an
engine that is on a par with a 1960,s engine....narrow bearings and too high a
load to cope...but they lasted longer then even with the rubbish oils of that
era. I have a very dim view of today,s engineers, where even Lexus get it
wrong...too many smart letter after a name , and no spanner experience makes a
crap designer. .

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/chrysler...ood-15458-.htm