1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport Question #1-Towing-Transmission Cooler per owner's manual

Old May 28th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport Question #1-Towing-Transmission Cooler per owner's manual

Hi,

I have already found the answer to one of my towing questions here but
I have more. The manual states: Transmission Cooler......Auxiliary
Cooler Required. I found what they are.

My question: Do I need one? I'm going to tow my 700lb motorcycle from
Michigan to California in September,

Thanks,

Sam

I have more question but that's it for now
Old May 28th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

sam owens did pass the time by typing:
> Hi,
>
> I have already found the answer to one of my towing questions here but
> I have more. The manual states: Transmission Cooler......Auxiliary
> Cooler Required. I found what they are.
>
> My question: Do I need one? I'm going to tow my 700lb motorcycle from
> Michigan to California in September,

"probably not" I've towed a trailer from Calagary Alberta to Oklahoma
and it didn't bother the transmission one bit. All you have to do
is stop every now and then to relax, stretch, and let the transmission
cool off a bit. The Aux cooler is more for heavy duty, near capacity
towing. 700lbs even with the trailer is light towing.

--
DougW

Old May 28th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

But that's not 130 degree Death Valley.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 28th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It probably isn't 'required' for only 700 pounds but would be a very good
idea...

It doesn't take much extra heat to cook transmission fluid.

Old May 28th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The OP doesn't mention the route they will be taking... It is narrowly
possible that by heading from the upper peninsula west thru Montana
clear to the west coast and then heading down the coast to no further
than say, San Francisco bay area, triple digit heats in September can be
avoided. All other routes I can think of involve driving for at least
a full day or more across high western desert areas where 100 degrees is
a cool day in September. Worse, unless they stay off the major
highways, the speeds are in the 75 plus range. Dunno if a cooler
install would be more or less than a full fluid flush and gasket set
after the journey but if it were a vehicle to be kept long, I'd sure do
one of the two.

billy ray proclaimed:

Old May 28th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I would put one in.

I think they are a good idea on Jeeps or any 4x4 that could see extended
driving in say 4x4 low. Even our manual 5 speeds need to be stopped so
they can cool down on some hot days on the bush roads. Our Cherokee
really needs a second fan in the circuit for those days. It has never
boiled over, but the warning light has come on. Our 'new' 87 one has
the second fan and no working AC, so I am going to toggle switch the fan
and forget the AC...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 29th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Sat, 27 May 2006 18:26:32 -0500, sam owens > wrote:

Well I am going to do the install or rather get someone to do it for
me. My friend tells me it's a good idea to have accesory cooling as a
matter of fact and they aren't that expensive.

I am planning on going to Colo, Utah, NM and Arizona so it's gonna be
warm.

Any Brands you recommend?

Sam

Old May 29th 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Sam, the Cherokee has an external tranny cooler and you won't need
another to tow your motorcycle. It's rated to tow 5000 lbs, no worries.
I used to tow my 3500 boat up and down the mountains of the SW US with
my '89 Cherokee with the 4.0L and the same AW-4 tranny you have in yours.

Jerry

sam owens wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2006 18:26:32 -0500, sam owens > wrote:
>
> Well I am going to do the install or rather get someone to do it for
> me. My friend tells me it's a good idea to have accesory cooling as a
> matter of fact and they aren't that expensive.
>
> I am planning on going to Colo, Utah, NM and Arizona so it's gonna be
> warm.
>
> Any Brands you recommend?
>
> Sam
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have already found the answer to one of my towing questions here but
>>I have more. The manual states: Transmission Cooler......Auxiliary
>>Cooler Required. I found what they are.
>>
>>My question: Do I need one? I'm going to tow my 700lb motorcycle from
>>Michigan to California in September,
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Sam
>>
>>I have more question but that's it for now

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old May 30th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Jerry.

Unless someone put one on or it came with the trailer towing package it does
not have a external tranny cooler, just the one in the radiator. The 5000#
requires the external cooler. As others have stated, definitely worth while.

JoBo

"Jerry Bransford" > wrote in message
> Sam, the Cherokee has an external tranny cooler and you won't need another
> to tow your motorcycle. It's rated to tow 5000 lbs, no worries. I used to
> tow my 3500 boat up and down the mountains of the SW US with my '89
> Cherokee with the 4.0L and the same AW-4 tranny you have in yours.
>
> Jerry

members.cox.net/jerrypb/

Old May 30th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I towed a bunch of cars from Washington State to Colorado, using a 1997
Dodge Ram Van, forgetting to install an auxiliary transmission cooler.
Never had a transmission related problem. The Cherokee does have cooling
problems in general, because of the way AMC shoehorned the 4.0 liter engine
in. It may need the auxiliary cooler, maybe not. That's my $0.02.

Earle

.. .

http://www.teranews.com ***