Small cars are death machines

Old October 2nd 05, 09:06 PM
Rich

Default Small cars are death machines

Or, why they'll bury you WITH your smart car.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15257209
Old October 2nd 05, 10:32 PM
Spike

So are the BIG cars that hit you when you're in the cross walk.....

The nice thing about the newer small cars is that you have all those
pillows to cushion your lifeless bod during the viewing, before they
drop it in the hole....

So, what are ya gonna do? Outlaw all big cars? outlaw all small cars?
And what about those big trucks that carry everything you need from
food to toilet paper? Want to shrink those? If you do, watch you
prices rise because it takes more to move the stuff.

As I recall, San Francisco already requires the loads in those BIG
trucks to be repacked into smaller trucks before they enter the
city/county limits. So transfer terminals had to be built further
out. Now there is a shipping fee, and a transfer fee to be added to
the delivery fees.

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 16:06:26 -0400, Rich > wrote:

>Or, why they'll bury you WITH your smart car.
>
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15257209

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be....
Children are obscene but should not be heard
Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!
Old October 8th 05, 04:07 PM
Cory Dunkle

"Spike" > wrote in message
> So are the BIG cars that hit you when you're in the cross walk.....
>
> The nice thing about the newer small cars is that you have all those
> pillows to cushion your lifeless bod during the viewing, before they
> drop it in the hole....
>
> So, what are ya gonna do? Outlaw all big cars? outlaw all small cars?

I think the point was that accidents in small cars are generally worse than
accidents in big cars. Having been recently involved in an accident in a
compact car ('63 Falcon) I have decided I'm done with small cars, for now at
least. I'm back to driving my '68 Galaxie. No question about safety in that
car. If I were driving the Galaxie and got into the same accident I would
have walked away from it with no damage. I actually almost drove the Galaxie
that day, but since it was threatening to rain I drove the Falcon.
Ironically it turned out to be a nice sunny day. So instead my two front
teeth are snapped in half and one was nearly knocked out, still not sure if
I'm gonna keep it. All the other teeth on my upper jaw were loose. My kneed
impacted the dash pretty damned hard, so only now after a few weeks am I
able to get around alright. Also had to have a bunch of staples in my head
as I had a good sized gash there. Well at least I didn't go through the
windshield... Thankfully the steering wheel broke my momentum. LOL

If you wanna see pics and such check it out in one of the Falcon forums at:
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27862

Well, with the money I got as compensation for the damage to my car I'll
probably be buying a ~1980 F-150 4x4 stepside shortbox, with a 302 and
toploader. Should be a fun daily driver and parts hauler. Gonna go check
it out more closely and take it for a test drive tomorrow and if I like it
I'll take it home with me.

Cory

Old October 8th 05, 05:14 PM
Mort Guffman

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 11:07:24 -0400, "Cory Dunkle"
> wrote:

>"Spike" > wrote in message
.. .
>> So are the BIG cars that hit you when you're in the cross walk.....
>>
>> The nice thing about the newer small cars is that you have all those
>> pillows to cushion your lifeless bod during the viewing, before they
>> drop it in the hole....
>>
>> So, what are ya gonna do? Outlaw all big cars? outlaw all small cars?

>I think the point was that accidents in small cars are generally worse than
>accidents in big cars. Having been recently involved in an accident in a
>compact car ('63 Falcon) I have decided I'm done with small cars, for now at
>least. I'm back to driving my '68 Galaxie. No question about safety in that
>car. If I were driving the Galaxie and got into the same accident I would
>have walked away from it with no damage. I actually almost drove the Galaxie
>that day, but since it was threatening to rain I drove the Falcon.
>Ironically it turned out to be a nice sunny day. So instead my two front
>teeth are snapped in half and one was nearly knocked out, still not sure if
>I'm gonna keep it. All the other teeth on my upper jaw were loose. My kneed
>impacted the dash pretty damned hard, so only now after a few weeks am I
>able to get around alright. Also had to have a bunch of staples in my head
>as I had a good sized gash there. Well at least I didn't go through the
>windshield... Thankfully the steering wheel broke my momentum. LOL
>
>If you wanna see pics and such check it out in one of the Falcon forums at:
>http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27862
>
>Well, with the money I got as compensation for the damage to my car I'll
>probably be buying a ~1980 F-150 4x4 stepside shortbox, with a 302 and
>toploader. Should be a fun daily driver and parts hauler. Gonna go check
>it out more closely and take it for a test drive tomorrow and if I like it
>I'll take it home with me.
>
> Cory

I got creamed in my 61 Galaxie by a Tercel. The bonehead who was
looking at herself in the mirror instead of watching the road hit me
from behind at about 50. She had airbags and walked away. I had no
seat belts and low bench seats. I got whiplash and chest injuries from
the steering wheel. The Galaxie was almost intact, the Tercel was
crushed flat almost to the windshield.
Old October 9th 05, 01:10 AM
Jim Warman

Good observation.... the Tercel absorbs the impact in an attempt to isolate
the passengers from the trauma.... Early 60s Detroit iron is hardly a
shining star of impact absorbtion and will transfer the full impact of the
event to the passengers. While I would prefer to be seen cruising top down
in a 64 Sunliner, I would feel much safer in a smaller, more modern car.

It's not about "solid"... it is all about survivability.

Old October 9th 05, 02:52 AM
Spike

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 00:10:36 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>Good observation.... the Tercel absorbs the impact in an attempt to isolate
>the passengers from the trauma.... Early 60s Detroit iron is hardly a
>shining star of impact absorbtion and will transfer the full impact of the
>event to the passengers. While I would prefer to be seen cruising top down
>in a 64 Sunliner, I would feel much safer in a smaller, more modern car.
>
>It's not about "solid"... it is all about survivability.

That's why mine is getting mods.... 3 pt seatbelts, high back buckets,
padded steering wheel, and working on a collapsible column. Not too
much I can do about the bumpers, etc. Probably the best thing I can do
is only drive when totally drunk. (just kidding) because I've
investigated so many accidents where the drunk walks away no matter
what kind of car. Oh, and for good measure, it's probably a good idea
to put it in my will that I be buried in the Mustang.
Old October 10th 05, 12:17 PM
BradandBrooks

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> Good observation.... the Tercel absorbs the impact in an attempt to
> isolate
> the passengers from the trauma.... Early 60s Detroit iron is hardly a
> shining star of impact absorbtion and will transfer the full impact of the
> event to the passengers. While I would prefer to be seen cruising top down
> in a 64 Sunliner, I would feel much safer in a smaller, more modern car.
>
> It's not about "solid"... it is all about survivability.

BINGO.

Brad

Old October 10th 05, 04:50 PM
Rich

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:17:57 GMT, "BradandBrooks"
> wrote:

>"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
>> Good observation.... the Tercel absorbs the impact in an attempt to
>> isolate
>> the passengers from the trauma.... Early 60s Detroit iron is hardly a
>> shining star of impact absorbtion and will transfer the full impact of the
>> event to the passengers. While I would prefer to be seen cruising top down
>> in a 64 Sunliner, I would feel much safer in a smaller, more modern car.
>>
>> It's not about "solid"... it is all about survivability.
>>

>BINGO.
>
>Brad

Impact energy and heat energy are very similar. The larger object
will absorb both better, and be less likely to "radiate" that energy
into whatever is in or near them. So small cars are inherently less
safe than large cars, you can violate the laws of physics.
However, if a small car has things to protect to occupants that a
large car doesn't have, it can be safer. So, a new small car "may" be
safer than a 1970s LTD, but I'm not conceding that it is. All things
equal, you are much more likely to live though or not sustain injuries
in a larger car.
-Rich
Old October 10th 05, 10:00 PM
Brent P

In article <0eZ1f.5943$S4.4750@edtnps84>, Jim Warman wrote:

> It's not about "solid"... it is all about survivability.

Good passenger restraints can give the benefit of preventing passenger
compartment intrusion and not impacting things inside the car. Plus maybe
the car will survive too.

Yes, I understand crumple zones and such, but sometimes (sides) there
isn't much distance to crumple.