1994 Caravan - Bad "thunks" on bumps and potholes

Old September 2nd 09, 07:46 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Bob F

Default 1994 Caravan - Bad "thunks" on bumps and potholes

I recently acquired a 1994 Caravan (3.3L 3spd auto w/O.D.). It behaved very
badly on bumps, sounding like it is bottoming out on what seem like small bumps,
producing a very loud "thunk" from whichever front tires that hits the bump. My
previous van (1987 Nissan) never behaved this way.

The records I have show the following:

Current mileage 128,600
Struts replaced @ 93245
Motor mounts - Cntr Eng, replaced @ 120,093
Sway bar bushings replaced @ 120,093
Outer motor mounts appear to have been replaced also

It seems like struts with 35,000 miles should be still good. No leakage is
visable.

Can anyone offer any suggestions to solve this problem? New struts? stiffer
struts? Anything?

Old September 3rd 09, 12:00 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
truckdriver

On Sep 2, 2:46*pm, "Bob F" > wrote:
> I recently acquired a 1994 Caravan (3.3L 3spd auto w/O.D.). It behaved very
> badly on bumps, sounding like it is bottoming out on what seem like small bumps,
> producing a very loud "thunk" from whichever front tires that hits the bump. My
> previous van (1987 Nissan) never behaved this way.
>
> The records I have show the following:
>
> Current mileage 128,600
> Struts replaced @ 93245
> Motor mounts - Cntr Eng, replaced @ 120,093
> Sway bar bushings replaced @ 120,093
> Outer motor mounts appear to have been replaced also
>
> It seems like struts with 35,000 miles should be still good. No leakage is
> visable.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions to solve this problem? New struts? stiffer
> struts? Anything?

sounds like the struts were not replaced or they replaced them with
used ones
Old September 5th 09, 08:18 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Bob F

truckdriver wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2:46 pm, "Bob F" > wrote:
>> I recently acquired a 1994 Caravan (3.3L 3spd auto w/O.D.). It
>> behaved very badly on bumps, sounding like it is bottoming out on
>> what seem like small bumps, producing a very loud "thunk" from
>> whichever front tires that hits the bump. My previous van (1987
>> Nissan) never behaved this way.
>>
>> The records I have show the following:
>>
>> Current mileage 128,600
>> Struts replaced @ 93245
>> Motor mounts - Cntr Eng, replaced @ 120,093
>> Sway bar bushings replaced @ 120,093
>> Outer motor mounts appear to have been replaced also
>>
>> It seems like struts with 35,000 miles should be still good. No
>> leakage is visable.
>>
>> Can anyone offer any suggestions to solve this problem? New struts?
>> stiffer struts? Anything?

> sounds like the struts were not replaced or they replaced them with
> used ones

The receipt was from a Dodge dealer (Bill Pierre in Seattle), but I suppose it
is possible.

Old September 6th 09, 01:55 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 11:46:32 -0700, Bob F wrote:

> I recently acquired a 1994 Caravan (3.3L 3spd auto w/O.D.). It behaved very
> badly on bumps, sounding like it is bottoming out on what seem like small bumps,
> producing a very loud "thunk" from whichever front tires that hits the bump. My
> previous van (1987 Nissan) never behaved this way.
>
> The records I have show the following:
>
> Current mileage 128,600
> Struts replaced @ 93245
> Motor mounts - Cntr Eng, replaced @ 120,093
> Sway bar bushings replaced @ 120,093
> Outer motor mounts appear to have been replaced also
>
> It seems like struts with 35,000 miles should be still good. No leakage is
> visable.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions to solve this problem? New struts? stiffer
> struts? Anything?

If this is a long wheelbase with 15" tires, the thing's on it's way out.
If you pay me $250, I'll gladly take it off your hands...

I had one that did this for a long time. I believe it's the rear shocks. I
was going to replace them, but the motor had the 3.3 liter rocker tower
problem, and no heat, and when I went to chaeck the water pump a number of
the bolts just snapped, so I scrapped it.

I looked at the brakes, the springs, the axles, etc. I also tried another
one that did this, but it had too many issues to deal with for $995.

You didn't buy it in Keene NH, did you?