Buried 1957 Plymouth

Old January 23rd 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Buried 1957 Plymouth

I read an article about a Plymouth Belvedere that was buried in Tulsa,
OK, back in 1957. It was part of a time capsule, and will be dug up on
June 15th.

It will be interesting to find out what kind of condition it is in
after all these years.

-KM

Old January 23rd 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dipstick

Probably an "empty grave" ala' Geraldo's hotel vault a few years back.
The real car has been stolen and sold on eBay several times.

Old January 24th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

Yeah, it won't be long now. 1957 Plymouths aren't the most rust-resistant
thing.

oups.com...

Old January 24th 07, 09:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
who

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> I read an article about a Plymouth Belvedere that was buried in Tulsa,
> OK, back in 1957. It was part of a time capsule, and will be dug up on
> June 15th.
>
> It will be interesting to find out what kind of condition it is in
> after all these years.
>
> -KM

If it's still there I expect they will find a car without the body sheet
metal. Rusted away!
Unless of course it's in very dry sand.
Old January 24th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Max Power

the desert is great for preservering, dont they find buried people in it
after thousands of years? of course we dont tend to rust...

Old June 20th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Unk

The vault had been flooded and still had a few feet of water.
Sad disaster.

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m...sarama%202007/

http://buriedcar.com/

[image:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m.../06150122.jpg]

--
Unk
Unk's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=417580

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old June 21st 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
William R. Walsh

Hi!

> The vault had been flooded and still had a few feet of water.
> Sad disaster.

If anything, the "official" site you pointed out left me wanting more
information. It's great that they showed the unearthing of the car, but what
happened after that? Scrapyard? Museum?

I'd have liked to known if anyone thought about seeing if it might still
happen to run... My guess is that it might have after repairs and
inspection.

William

Old June 21st 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Unk[_2_]

More info here

http://tinyurl.com/36dqxq

Closest guess of the city population now (guesses made in 1957) wins
the car, to be announced tomorrow.
It is sitting at a dealership until then.

Boyd was here to see about getting it running but there is no way
without
major work, there have been offers for a free restoration.

Still a chance it might be rebuilt but it is pretty far gone.

Rumors here hint that Chrysler has offered a new car in trade and a few
shops have offered a free restoration.

Old June 23rd 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

"Unk" > wrote in message

> More info here
>
> http://tinyurl.com/36dqxq
>
> Closest guess of the city population now (guesses made in 1957) wins
> the car, to be announced tomorrow.
> It is sitting at a dealership until then.
>
> Boyd was here to see about getting it running but there is no way
> without
> major work, there have been offers for a free restoration.
>
> Still a chance it might be rebuilt but it is pretty far gone.
>
> Rumors here hint that Chrysler has offered a new car in trade and a few
> shops have offered a free restoration.

It seems that some people think the car is valuable because of its history.
If it was my car, I'd certainly scrap it, but that's not what they're going
to do.